Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canberra should be team 20 but that looks unlikely. Port should have been the first Adelaide team and then Norwood when Port came in tbf.

Whatley has been a real dick about Tasmania.

Last night he called for public shaming of any of the presidents who do not agree with the 19th licence. It must be a unanimous decision, he says. What a load shit.

Now I read that Sicily has felt the need to walk back perfectly valid comments about player retention.

I can't help but think of all of the trouble Gold Coast has had retaining players. That is going to be intensified by degrees of magnitude in Hobart (pun intended).

I am also not quite sure how we're capturing the Adelaide Oval precinct with that new development on the foreshore either. You're not playing night games there, not in winter. It would be Arctic. That means day matches essentially competing with local footy.

I'll be rooting for a Tassie side but I smell a rat when all we're allowed to acknowledge is the positives and the "justice" of the situation. If we're not allowed to address the negatives why am I supposed to believe they have been properly considered as part of the business case? Or do we just have to accept they have been considered and dismissed by the party with an interest in dismissal of the negatives?

I'm unconvinced of the merits of doing this at this time.
Homelessness is at an all time high in Tassie. How many families could they house with $240 million?

Apples and oranges imo. Stadium is an one-off build and then it'll be done, whereas Tassie - no different to Sydney and Melbourne in this regard obviously - needs continuous increases to housing supply every single year and that doesn't happen for a lot of different reasons, which are not in the hands of the federal government. The Feds can throw some funds towards public housing but state and local government needs to actually approve them and that's where things break down...

Whatley has been a real dick about Tasmania.

Last night he called for public shaming of any of the presidents who do not agree with the 19th licence. It must be a unanimous decision, he says. What a load s**t.

Now I read that Sicily has felt the need to walk back perfectly valid comments about player retention.

I can't help but think of all of the trouble Gold Coast has had retaining players. That is going to be intensified by degrees of magnitude in Hobart (pun intended).

I am also not quite sure how we're capturing the Adelaide Oval precinct with that new development on the foreshore either. You're not playing night games there, not in winter. It would be Arctic. That means day matches essentially competing with local footy.

I'll be rooting for a Tassie side but I smell a rat when all we're allowed to acknowledge is the positives and the "justice" of the situation. If we're not allowed to address the negatives why am I supposed to believe they have been properly considered as part of the business case? Or do we just have to accept they have been considered and dismissed by the party with an interest in dismissal of the negatives?
Sicily is an idiot given he plays for Hawthorn who have had sponsorship from Tassie for years. He may well have spoken how he feels but bad thing to see from captain of a club that plays there and gets sponsorship etc.

Personally I'd rather live on the GC than Brisbane (or Tassie). The Suns player retention issues are more about the club than the location I would have thought. Giants have had retention issues too although that seems more salary cap driven. And I guess when it became apparent that a premiership wasnt going to happen despite the draft concessions, then time to move on.

I don't mind there being a Tassie team but it doesnt make much sense to me unless there is a pathway to there being a 20th team (or another team folding eg Saints or Norf - I am not wishing that on them just noting those are the 2 most obvious).

The cost of propping up Tassie when Suns and Giants are not successful (+ a potential 20th team?) is a big concern.

Like others here I’d love to live in Tassie and may one day as I’ve visited many times. Can understand some single young footballers maybe not being that keen on living there.

But could be a real attraction for country kids or those not so keen for big (expensive) cities

The thinking going around Twitter at the moment is that with Tassie getting announced and having a 2027 entry date, a 20th team announcement with a 2028 entry date might be on the cards at some point. With the 20th team being a 3rd one in WA or SA. Basically, do it like they did Gold Coast and GWS coming in, where there's only one year with an odd number of teams.

Nothing confirmed or anything like that, but it does make a lot of sense. We'll see how it all plays out!
They’ve got to get a 20th team within 2-3 years following tassie. Having a 19th brings no extra income to the game and 20th you get the 10th game and so that extra money in revenue that helps funds that expansion. The smart move imo would be to put another team in SA or WA, preferably SA - and imo I’d look at getting another sanfl side in that has the business case to make them viable. You automatically get their whole supporter base and facilities, plus you’re playing out of Adelaide oval so no need for stadium facilities. Plus you can get 2 home games a year that will automatically be sold out against the crows and port.

If the Tassie facilities are way better than the GWS and SUNS had on start up that's a big advantage

Target VIC and TAS kids in the draft.

If you haven't lived in Tassie (bogan central Eddie and Sicily) don't comment
That’s the issue there is very minimal top level Tasmania kids every year. Grassroots footy in Tasmania is a huge issue, and the pathway is atrocious. Step 1 before you even get the team going to is to do what Eddie said, fix grassroots footy and set up a Tasmanian academy pathway to find more elite talent in their state. And Tasmania get access to any of the talent available, like what happens in the northern states. This has to happen within the next 12 months. You cant wait 4-5 years as to when the team gets up and running, as you’ll have to wait half a decade to see any of the results of the academy.

They’ve got to get a 20th team within 2-3 years following tassie. Having a 19th brings no extra income to the game and 20th you get the 10th game and so that extra money in revenue that helps funds that expansion. The smart move imo would be to put another team in SA or WA, preferably SA - and imo I’d look at getting another sanfl side in that has the business case to make them viable. You automatically get their whole supporter base and facilities, plus you’re playing out of Adelaide oval so no need for stadium facilities. Plus you can get 2 home games a year that will automatically be sold out against the crows and port.

A third team might make sense in SA, at least because I think Adelaide had connections to SANFL clubs and then there is Port.

But I can't seen it working in WA/Perth. The teams are divided culturally and even geographically. Maybe someone with more recent info on the footy in WA has a better insight but I see absolutely no scope for a 3rd team in WA. I see no way it could be relevant.

Cairns is an interesting one for me. Pretty good AFL presence up there and definitely not just NRL. Also undergoing massive growth with all the Victorians having moved during and post COVID. don’t think it will happen but it’s an outlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cairns is an interesting one for me. Pretty good AFL presence up there and definitely not just NRL. Also undergoing massive growth with all the Victorians having moved during and post COVID. don’t think it will happen but it’s an outlier.

Cairns is miles away from supporting an AFL side IMO, plus the climate means most of the first block of the season are likely to be wet or very wet games.

Sicily is an idiot given he plays for Hawthorn who have had sponsorship from Tassie for years. He may well have spoken how he feels but bad thing to see from captain of a club that plays there and gets sponsorship etc.

Personally I'd rather live on the GC than Brisbane (or Tassie). The Suns player retention issues are more about the club than the location I would have thought. Giants have had retention issues too although that seems more salary cap driven. And I guess when it became apparent that a premiership wasnt going to happen despite the draft concessions, then time to move on.

I don't mind there being a Tassie team but it doesnt make much sense to me unless there is a pathway to there being a 20th team (or another team folding eg Saints or Norf - I am not wishing that on them just noting those are the 2 most obvious).

The cost of propping up Tassie when Suns and Giants are not successful (+ a potential 20th team?) is a big concern.

Feels to me like someone we should really listen to. He's there all the time and has been for years. What's the bet he has spoken to team mates who share the same view? I'd be keen to know because it would be pretty important.

I have genuine affection for Tassie and want this club to succeed.

But how long will it be before it can establish itself as a boutique destination for those after a quieter life? What was the peak number for Tassie players getting drafted? If we threw all of the resources at that issue when does it get to the point that the club would have the option of a team of mainly locals? Could it be sooner than 20 years from now? GWS would be the bench mark because it was sucking up Riverina talent for a while. GWS ain't close. I don't think we can just assume Tasmania can flick the switch and start producing players again. Even then, let's call Tassie' s population 500,000 and WA's 2,500,000 (its 2.8m) for the sake of simple rounded numbers. See the problem?

So they draft Victorians, great. We're then supporting 11 teams.

At least with GC and GWS you have massive population bases and are genuinely expanding the talent pool.

I get the emotional arguments about Tassie's history and contribution I'm not sure I get any other aspect.

Last edited:
A third team might make sense in SA, at least because I think Adelaide had connections to SANFL clubs and then there is Port.

But I can't seen it working in WA/Perth. The teams are divided culturally and even geographically. Maybe someone with more recent info on the footy in WA has a better insight but I see absolutely no scope for a 3rd team in WA. I see no way it could be relevant.
Yeh a team in wa would likely have to be brand new founded. But at same time would be hard to develop a supporter base with the power for west coast.

Nah. I missed my chance when Freo came in and again when the league didn't revoke our licence. I'm more interested in further diluting The West Coast's supporter/talent pool now.
can't imagine even the most diehard west coast supporter could stand what's happened to the team now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back