Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasnt it that Shiel didnt want to do the deal?
Or am i thinking of some other trade
unless you hide in your house and don’t answer the door like Hooker, one must assume one is open to a trade

Looks like the Harley Reid effect has worn off for WC.
They do not play away. In fact they should stop bringing it up as an issue publicly. Gives the players an easy out and creates a soft culture.

2 points and 10 seconds from 4 in a row since the latest time Mitchell became the worst bloke in the world.
They have patched up a few of the defensive issues plus a few guys are finding some form after a slow start.

Is it just me or is anyone else baffled by how much the interpretation of holding the ball is being brought up by coaches/media at the moment?
This has been the way for 5 or so years since the AFL powers that be became obsessed with reducing congestion and increasing scoring. Theyve instructed umps to give players as much time as possible to dispose of the ball, the old 360° interpretation for reasonable time to dispose of the footy doesnt exist now and they have been lenient on throws for a number of years too.
I used to get worked up about this but now have become so used to it that I dont care anymore. Has it really got worse this season?

Anyway the petty side of me gets really annoyed hearing buckley and Pendlebury go on about it in the media considering how our fanbase were lectured after the 2019 ANZAC day match which had a number of contentious non calls for holding the ball.

Is it just me or is anyone else baffled by how much the interpretation of holding the ball is being brought up by coaches/media at the moment?
This has been the way for 5 or so years since the AFL powers that be became obsessed with reducing congestion and increasing scoring. Theyve instructed umps to give players as much time as possible to dispose of the ball, the old 360° interpretation for reasonable time to dispose of the footy doesnt exist now and they have been lenient on throws for a number of years too.
I used to get worked up about this but now have become so used to it that I dont care anymore. Has it really got worse this season?

Anyway the petty side of me gets really annoyed hearing buckley and Pendlebury go on about it in the media considering how our fanbase were lectured after the 2019 ANZAC day match which had a number of contentious non calls for holding the ball.
I think the issue is now the tackler can't bring the player to ground without serious risk of coming under scrutiny should any number of variables result in the head hitting the ground. What were good tackles are now dangerous tackles so players hang onto the ball since they have a fair idea they won't be slung to the ground nor likely to get pinged by the umps.

Last edited:
I think the issue is now the tackler can't bring the player to ground without serious risk of coming under scrutiny should any number of variables result in the head hitting the ground. What were good tackles are now dangerous tackles so players hang onto the ball since they gave a fair idea they won't be slung to the ground nor likely to get pinged by the umps.

This, giving them a lifetime to dispose of it meant tacklers had to find new and more aggressive ways of bringing players to ground. That twisting motion can become a sling, or trap the ankle / knee.

This, giving them a lifetime to dispose of it meant tacklers had to find new and more aggressive ways of bringing players to ground. That twisting motion can become a sling, or trap the ankle / knee.
The amount of time Curnow had possession when Mac Andrew caught him cold on the weekend was ridiculous. Something has to be done to find a more effective middle ground. If the tackler isn't rewarded, why bother tackling?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

National reserves comp may be back on the agenda . 17/18 clubs wanting it . Tom Morris running with it.
It has been bubbling along in the back ground for a while. If Covid did not happen I suspect we would already have one.

The amount of time Curnow had possession when Mac Andrew caught him cold on the weekend was ridiculous. Something has to be done to find a more effective middle ground. If the tackler isn't rewarded, why bother tackling?
Owen and pweter make good points but is the curnow tackle any worse than this one from two years ago. No one questioned the non call in the commentary box and it was celebrated as a great tackle break.

And just to bring an essendon flavour to it this was crisp non call from 2019.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/never-s...-ignited-anzac-day-controversy-230916576.html

The leniency for time to break the tackle has been there for a while. But fair point from the others that you dont have as many options to make a strong tackle that grounds a player (although I would argue a few players need to learn to use their shoulders more instead of arms.).

should a tackler be rewarded for only tackling the arm and not being able to prevent the player from legally disposing of the ball? (and it never looked like Curnow would be prevented from kicking the ball)

I really feel the onus here should be with the umpiring (not umpires) of the game.

Like NFL - if you get the ball and make a football action, then it's live and if you are tackled it's HTB.

They can make decisions that could avoid injuries.

I really feel the onus here should be with the umpiring (not umpires) of the game.

Like NFL - if you get the ball and make a football action, then it's live and if you are tackled it's HTB.

They can make decisions that could avoid injuries.
I think there should be some time given for a tackler to break through, its pretty exciting to see guys like stringer/danger etc use their power to break through a tackle. But its tipped too far the other way last few years and doesnt pass the pub test. The cumberland vid above is ridiculous, he was spun 360, brought to ground and then gets back up to kick a goal.

this isn't really the rule though is it? anyone can dispose any ball if they get long enough.

the question is what we consider 'tackled' and what we don't.

No but what is in the rules is that a player tackled without prior opportunity will be giving an opportunity to dispose of the ball. no further guidance is provided in the official document. (no doubt there is an interpretation document that provides some instructions but that is not available to the public.) When factoring in when to call time on a player who has been tackled without prior opportunity, I think it's probably fair to consider if the tackler is holding onto one arm for dear life and the tackled player is just waiting until he's facing goal again to kick the ball, which was the case with Curnow. There'll be a thousand holding the ball decisions this season that are more discussion worthy than this imo. Really the discussion for me is whether Andrews tackle is something that should be illegal. For a large part of it he's just holding onto one arm. I don't like that much more than I don't like the time given to dispose of the ball here.

National reserves comp may be back on the agenda . 17/18 clubs wanting it . Tom Morris running with it.
It has been bubbling along in the back ground for a while. If Covid did not happen I suspect we would already have one.
RIP the VFL

Do you not think an 8 or so club league could work? I would've thought it'd actually be better - would give the clubs back their identity.
Unlike the WAFL and SANFL it isn't commercially viable. The support isn't there. They're going to struggle to survive.

Unlike the WAFL and SANFL it isn't commercially viable. The support isn't there. They're going to struggle to survive.
Corporate support you mean? The clubs should survive, if it's worth them surviving they will. Just at what level remains to be seen.

Port Melbourne asked the question about joining the SANFL a while back did they not? Some may go amateur perhaps.

Ideally if they could form a league where everyone is actually playing with the goal of the premiership and you have that sense that it means something, that'd be a win. Surely Coburg fans would get more of a buzz out of playing Preston than lining up against the Gold Coast seconds and then having another bloody bye weekend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back