Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 trading >>>>>>> current trading

Melbourne getting lambasted for trading pick 2 in return for Dom Tyson & Pick 9 (Christian Salem). Why can't that be a win - win ?

If only clubs were more willing in recent years to help the individual out rather than looking after there own agendas

There is an insane stigma attached to recruiting guys from other AFL clubs and following the Melbourne/Tyson experience it doesn't seem to matter how young and talented the 'recycled' player is. The media will laud what Roos did at Sydney because it worked but lambast anyone else that tries do it.

You know what a boon it is because you've been watching so imagine if you could pull a 'pick 48 for Edwards and Aylett' twice in a trade period. When you're a team like Carlton, looking at a further 8 to 10 de-listings at the end of the year, you basically turn a list around in the space of 12 months.

Last edited:

There is an insane stigma attached to recruiting guys from other AFL clubs and following the Melbourne/Tyson experience it doesn't seem to matter how young and talented the 'recycled' player is. The media will laud what Roos did at Sydney because it worked but lambast anyone else that tries do it.

You know what a boon it is because you've been watching but imagine if you could pull a 'pick 48 for Edwards and Aylett' twice in a trade period. When you're a team like Carlton, looking at a further 8 to 10 de-listings at the end of the year, you basically turn a list around in the space of 12 months.

The trade you mentioned should be the blue print for acquiring fringe players. We see it as Hwy robbery, the football club sees it as a smart bit of business.

Despite the protestations of many, GC is still a far way off being a premiership contender. Doubt they will make the finals this year and 2015 is no certainty. They are at least 3 years off being a premiership contender.
This could be a very tricky phase for Gold Coast. They aren't the fresh meat anymore; they've passed the point where they can pull out the "we did OK for a bunch of kids" line. With the ludicrous talent they have, most of whom are now there or thereabouts with the physical demands of AFL, they have to be in the game every week. They can't afford 99-point losses after strong first-half performances. McKenna has to understand that he can't babysit this team into the finals.

I agree that Carlton made a huge mistake by thinking that their 'lucky' entry into the finals last year.. and then beating a pathetic Richmond.. somehow meant they were still 'on the cusp' of success. If anything that penalty might work in our favour.. it has delayed the Carlscum rebuild by at least one year.. delusional idiots.

Carlton were screwed three rounds in to last year.. but then did some flat track bullying and got a once-in-a-lifetime break and they don't stop and smell the roses.

And Mick.. you didn't coach Carlton into the finals last year.. the AFL put Carlton into the finals last year.

What happened last year will always rankle me.. but as I said at the time.. I'm not sure that 'missing' the finals will hurt us long term. Frustrating yes. Unfair yes. However like the draft penalties.. we weren't going to be ready for last year and I think it has given our players a real determination and edge this year.

I would far prefer to have our list and have missed last year. Than have watched 1 finals win and have Carltons list/future.

Our team is going to win plenty of finals imho.. and I think we will become a regular fixture in the top 8 for the next 6 years..

I agree that Carlton made a huge mistake by thinking that their 'lucky' entry into the finals last year.. and then beating a pathetic Richmond.. somehow meant they were still 'on the cusp' of success. If anything that penalty might work in our favour.. it has delayed the Carlscum rebuild by at least one year.. delusional idiots.

Carlton were screwed three rounds in to last year.. but then did some flat track bullying and got a once-in-a-lifetime break and they don't stop and smell the roses.

And Mick.. you didn't coach Carlton into the finals last year.. the AFL put Carlton into the finals last year.

They de-listed 10 last year that doesn't sound like the list management in 2013 was deluded at all. How many more can you get rid of in any year?

They de-listed 10 last year. How many more can you get rid of in any year?

Depends how you replace them.

As you said, a couple of two-for-one trades like Aylett/Edwards, a couple of picks coming in for Garlett, Gibbs types who have some value, a couple of DFAs and you can conceivably turn over 12-14 players if you plan it right.

Shit, a couple of their players with no real Carlton future like Waite and Garlett could well have some value for teams like Freo or (dare I say it) Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not to kick a mob while they are down... actually.. to kick a mob while they are down, you could almost put forward the contention that ever since the VFL/AFL have been playing by draft and salary cap rules Carlton have been a non threat. It all goes back to the way they run their football club, they are a very knee jerk football club, somethings wrong!. quick get pagan! malthouse! Jezza again!

It all goes back to their culture, their brown paper bag, sugar daddy culture. Have always relied on big money from shady places to buy the best from other teams....instead of growing their own.. but now, in this age there are rules, there are processes that you need to follow, you could nearly say they are the last of the big clubs who have not learnt how to be successful under the new rules.

sure, in their style they tried to manipulate the new rules by tanking for number one draft picks but this is not as fail safe as buying stars, number one picks while good, are not fail safe, you can easily get a Gibbs or Murphy :p

time to find a recruiting team, and a stable set up and build for a flag blues.

What happened last year will always rankle me.. but as I said at the time.. I'm not sure that 'missing' the finals will hurt us long term. Frustrating yes. Unfair yes. However like the draft penalties.. we weren't going to be ready for last year and I think it has given our players a real determination and edge this year.

I would far prefer to have our list and have missed last year. Than have watched 1 finals win and have Carltons list/future.

Our team is going to win plenty of finals imho.. and I think we will become a regular fixture in the top 8 for the next 6 years..
This tbh, i mean the experience of finals footy might have been valuable to some of our players but i doubt we would have done anything significant of note since the players were mentally finished for the year because of that BS.

Also it helped Carlscum get into the finals which papered over their cracks and look at them now :D

Derrrrrwayne just said that Boomer could be 3rd on the all time list by years end. So Fletcher will only play 5 more games this season?
r

Depends how you replace them.

As you said, a couple of two-for-one trades like Aylett/Edwards, a couple of picks coming in for Garlett, Gibbs types who have some value, a couple of DFAs and you can conceivably turn over 12-14 players if you plan it right.

Shit, a couple of their players with no real Carlton future like Waite and Garlett could well have some value for teams like Freo or (dare I say it) Essendon.

Fair enough. Just think that many have been adding 2 and 2 and ending up with about 15. Think that it is a particularly difficult case to make that the football department were deluded into thinking that they were better than they were because they won a final. De-listing 10 players tends to confirm that they knew that they had to turn the list over (and it wasn't a great year to start with a pretty weak national draft).

Think that the point that Malthouse was making was "my system won a final last year and was competitive against Sydney so don't ****ing tell me that it doesn't work".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back