Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gibbs had to get out, surely he would have requested the trade as soon as the season ended. I'm sure he'll be disappointed, but I can't imagine he'll be too unhappy. It's not too dissimilar to Glen Maxwell in Victoria. Made the request too late, cricket victoria said no, is just getting on with things.

Depends how supportive his wife is. If she is genuinely unhappy in Melbourne, the next three years could be pretty difficult for them.

Since when does the nominated club ( Adelaide ) announce that Gibbs wants to leave Carlton - This is wrong on so many levels and my guess is this action caused the ire of Carlton - Poor form by Gibbs.

Since when does the nominated club ( Adelaide ) announce that Gibbs wants to leave Carlton - This is wrong on so many levels and my guess is this action caused the ire of Carlton - Poor form by Gibbs.

Don't forget this is the club who thought it'd be a good idea to wheel out a state jumper for an alternate strip one time. Mind-blowing arrogance.

Silvagni now has 9 ex-Giants on the Carlton list - I find that mind boggling. Of the 6 already there I'd say Plowman is promising but unproven, Phillips is honest and the rest shaping up as list cloggers.

To get all purple warrior about it....

If your SOS, you better hope that at least two of Marchbank, Pickett and Palmer become good to very good contributors....
.........or at some point you will be called to account for the opportunity cost of pursuing this strategy.

Silvagni now has 9 ex-Giants on the Carlton list - I find that mind boggling. Of the 6 already there I'd say Plowman is promising but unproven, Phillips is honest and the rest shaping up as list cloggers.

If your SOS, you better hope that at least two of Marchbank, Pickett and Palmer become good to very good contributors....
.........or at some point you will be called to account for the opportunity cost of pursuing this strategy.
If Sumner can stay clear of injury he'll be handy.

Phillips is shocking.

Has anything that's come out of GWS amounted to much yet? Tom Boyd got a premiership medal and there's a few that get regular games in other teams (none of which made finals this year, by the way).

To be fair, the four that Carlton got last year all played 15 or 16 games this year, so they're at least getting role-player-at-Carlton quality out of it. GWS doesn't seem to be a place to find star recruits though, unless you're paying mega-bucks and pinching best-22 players.

I'm curious how Stewart will work out for us. I guess he's an improvement on giving McKernan games in the forward line?

No he isn't, he's serviceable. Honest is the right description. Played very well against us earlier this year.

Again, there are numbers between 1 and 10.
One half decent game doesn't make him good. He averages 7 disposals and 16 hit outs. He is just a horrible player.

Yes there are. He's a 2, maybe 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just did a best-22 of Hawthorn with my limited knowledge of their fringe/depth players. Whilst their depth doesn't stand up anything like it used to, their best 22 (or something like this anyway) is still very very good. Injuries will be the difference between them nudging top 4 or missing the finals altogether.

FB Duryea Frawley Stratton
HB Hodge Gibson Birchall
C O'Meara Burgoyne Smith
HF Bruest Gunston Rioli
FF Sicily Vickery Puopolo
R McEvoy Sheils Mitchell
INT Hartung Whitecross Lovell Langford

I don't buy the "trading Mitchell and Lewis to free up cap space" thing as the 3 guys they brought in are on significant coin, they traded to refresh their list with a couple of young midfielders, nothing more. The cap space will be freed up when the 3 bolded guys retire as soon as the end of 2017 where they will be replaced by possibly 1 FA, the kids on their list and the late draft picks they have for the next 2 years. That leaves an enormous leadership void created across 2 seasons which can't be understated given Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge in particular are like onfield coaches.

I'd love to see Hawthorn crash and burn, I can't wait for it to happen, but they'll be around the mark again next year unless injuries hit. Herein lies their risk with getting JOM, whether he can firstly get back to form, secondly if he can stay fit, and thirdly, how will they and the team cope if injuries do actually hit.

One half decent game doesn't make him good. He averages 7 disposals and 16 hit outs. He is just a horrible player.

Yes there are. He's a 2, maybe 3.

If you've actually watched him play you wouldn't bring up stats. He's ok. He's a great contested mark.

If you've actually watched him play you wouldn't bring up stats. He's ok. He's a great contested mark.
I've watched him many times. He fades in and out of games, barely gets a touch around the ground and struggles to get a tap unless he's against players like Jenkins or Grimley.

He's well below AFL standard.

He's 25 years old at the start of the 2017 season. Big men take time but I don't think he's too good. Having said that I'd expect this to be the season he makes a name for himself if it's ever going to happen. I'd say he's a 4 out of 20, he'd want to get that to at least a 6 to next year to be worth his salt.

I've watched him many times. He fades in and out of games, barely gets a touch around the ground and struggles to get a tap unless he's against players like Jenkins or Grimley.

He is certainly not below afl standard

Mate, if you want to convince people in an argument, you can't exaggerate. It just reinforces their own opinion.

How would he go against Paddy Ambrose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back