Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDonald is good but he, and his brother, are suspect with ball in hand
I have a lot of mates who go for Melbourne and they do get frustrated with the disposal of both (also found it amusing when we sent Melksham there :p)
Dees have a good list, but it's got some holes.

Their rucks are superior
Jones, Petracca, Oliver, Tyson, Salem is a strong midfield.
Lots of dash out of their backline with Hibberd, Hunt and Frost
Hogan & Watts are good forwards too

but they are prone to poor disposal across the board and tend to end up chasing a win than protecting a lead.

Compare the 22
Defence
Bags v Jetta. Both solid, Jetta in ripping form while Bags is doing his role
Hartley v OMac. Hartley is more reliable a defender and disposer
Ambrose v Frost. I like Frost's attack on the game, but it can be dangerous. Ambrose is industrious and reliable in defence
McGrath v Hibberd. Stiff comparing a vet in AA form to a 1st year player, but McGrath is probably on equal output with Hibberd
Hurley v TMac. We have the better CHB here. TMac is good, but not on Hurley's level
McKenna v Hunt. Both have pace to burn and are weapons with their run and carry. Conor can kick to advantage as well.

Forwards
Bugg Hogan Garlett
Harmes Watts Hannan
vs
Fantasia Hooker Stewart
Green Daniher Tippa
fair to say we have the better forward line

Rucks
Bellchambers, Leuenberger, McKernan
v
Gawn, Spencer, Pederson
fair to say Melbourne have the better rucks.

Mids
Merrett v Oliver
Parish v Petracca
Watson v Lewis
Goddard v Vince
Colyer v Salem
Zaka
v Tyson
Myers v Melksham
Howlett v Neal Bullen
Pretty even here. Will be interesting when our depth starts coming through
Langford, Laverde, Begley, Francis offer us more than the Dees have going off their VFL form.
This is a classic reason why I don't use names to justify my reasons. If the two midfields are even, why is theirs producing far better results?

I never said I'd pick the McDonald's, just said that they outperformed the pair in the last game and that you clearly underrate Tom McDonald. I'm just asking you to back up your OPINIONS with actual hard, quantifiable evidence.

Daniher kicked 1.6 lol. He dominated which ever Mcdonald played on him. He just didn't hurt the score board

Not that I heard any real statistical evidence from your end, but given your stat obsession, 7 shots at goal doesn't read great when put next to what you said happened... especially after banging on about my opinion being shallow and lacking hard, quantifiable evidence. I'd say it's now on you to quantify some evidence to suggest he did beat him.

If not, it kind of renders your whole arguement invalid because I honestly didn't read any of the stats you did actually put up, and just leaves you looking like you don't really know what you're talking about.

Not that I heard any real statistical evidence from your end, but given your stat obsession, 7 shots at goal doesn't read great when put next to what you said happened... especially after banging on about my opinion being shallow and lacking hard, quantifiable evidence. I'd say it's now on you to quantify some evidence to suggest he did beat him.

If not, it kind of renders your whole arguement invalid because I honestly didn't read any of the stats you did actually put up, and just leaves you looking like you don't really know what you're talking about.
Frost was taking Daniher that day. O-Mac was on Hooker and Tom was playing as a loose defender, collecting 26 touches, 12 marks and collected 4 coaches votes. Only one Essendon lpayer got votes that day, Hurley. So I guess McDonald was better than Daniher, no?

This is a classic reason why I don't use names to justify my reasons. If the two midfields are even, why is theirs producing far better results?
they are a superior contested ball/clearance team. That's not surprising when you consider Jones, Viney, Lewis and at times Tracc run through there.
Of the 4, one has polish. the other 3 are battering rams. Certainly not a criticism, i'd love one or two of them.

Our midfield is far cleaner, which is our undoing at times. In a high pressure grind out game (Carlton, Dees, Richmond), we don't compete well.
But if we get the space to run and spread, we will make teams look ordinary. Particularly high ball use teams like Geelong, West Coast and Port (and nearly GWS, though they were second string).

Funny thing is, both midfields could do with a little mixing and the 2015 draft could have solved that. Parish would add them a touch of class and run and carry, whereas Oliver would give us a bull at the gate stoppage machine.

Oliver is a superb talent, but i still think Parish better suited their needs.

They put some doubt on that in the article, but then it also looks like he's been coaching the players on the field (not just relaying messages).

personally runners really s**t me, there's enough people on the field as it is & then add an extra ump these last couple rounds, rule of thumb should be a runner is always doing exactley that - running! Get on, deliver message then gtf off!

Standing around as he was is not on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally runners really s**t me, there's enough people on the field as it is & then add an extra ump these last couple rounds, rule of thumb should be a runner is always doing exactley that - running! Get on, deliver message then gtf off!

Standing around as he was is not on.
You could argue he was actually playing. It's exactly how Maxwell made his career. Standing around on an empty piece of grass yelling instructions to others to do all the hard work. 95% of his playing career was doing just what he was doing on the weekend.

ehh but on the whole I fall into the "Maxwell climbed the mountain of conflict therefore he is deserving of respect".

Even if this attitude requires respecting Warren Tredrea more than Matthew Primus. Eww.

I can see how he would be very useful to GWS by doing this. Say what you want about his actual footballing ability, but under his watch that team was a ******* machine and his on-field organizing would have no doubt been a significant factor in this.

Bomber on 360 tonight made the point again re runners that they are essential when coaches have a young team & need to get their message out there, not so much for mature teams who can coach themselves pretty much & therefore getting rid of runners all together can create a huge advantage for more experienced sides.

I came across this:

Having missed most of that 2013 game as I was visiting friends in Sydney at the time, one thing I'd missed was the horrendous kicking for goal that night.

They are all horrible.

But, how's the Ballantyne one at 2:09?! It might be the most comical set shot I have ever seen. It's even worse than Zantuck's effort all those years ago.

Yeah get rid of them. All the players should wear earpieces so the coaching staff can talk to them directly. I'm sure we'd get some entertaining results.

Saints would be a pisser.

"Alright Jack, go to the forward pocket"

Next minute Saints have 12 players in the forward pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back