Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essendon v Geelong Grand Final (actually, probably Sydney for that matter too).

I reckon the Hawkes types would be sitting in their rooms, blinds drawn, for a year afterwards, no matter who wins.

Essendon v Geelong Grand Final (actually, probably Sydney for that matter too).

I reckon the Hawkes types would be sitting in their rooms, blinds drawn, for a year afterwards, no matter who wins.
surely a GWS 4-peat, rendering their 3 in a row a memory, would hurt more
Or the Saints drafting the next Ablett with their 1st rd pick

I think a Geelong flag cuts deeper. Firstly, the rivalry is already there. It means that the cats would've won four in an era, without any assistance, and also having lost one of the greatest players the game has seen (as did the Hawks), and a dual premiership coach.

It means that there is a very legitimate argument that the Cats have been the best team of the last 20 years.

Anything GWS wins will be framed as an achievement handed over on a silver platter. The same can't be said of the Cats in any way or form.

Last edited:

If Hawthorn's 3 peat in a row becomes a 'memory' (I mean, really, that's what all past games are), what on earth are our 16 flags?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley as a guest panellist for two weeks on Classified doesn't work - Too much discussion about Collingwood to the detriment of the other 17 clubs - Actually having a current day coach as a panellist is a failure.

Last edited:
Carlton gave up the best Key Forward in the comp for Judd, he still eliminated Richmond with the worst list of the last 25 years. I'm happy with our list. Kelly, Webb and Kennedy is what we should go for. Honestly I don't think there's another Melbourne club ahead of us list and demographic wise. All of our key posts are locked and loaded. All we need is a couple of decent ball winners with versatility and we can close shop on player movement for a while.
Yet they failed in the ultimate goal, a flag. I'd also put Melbourne's list comfortably ahead of ours.

Yet they failed in the ultimate goal, a flag. I'd also put Melbourne's list comfortably ahead of ours.

I feel like you may have missed my inclination that it was a mini miracle that he was able to do that...with a little help from us.

Yeah was it a surprise to anyone that they didn't??? They did the equivalent of Daniher for Kelly. Whoever said that trade was a good move for the club should be barred from making any decisions in the future, full stop. Didn't appear the sharpest bunch down at Carlton till recently...

They've got a better midfield, ....they've got a better midfield.

Because they did the equivalent of Daniher for Kelly. Whoever said that trade was a good move for the club should be barred from making any decisions in the future, full stop. Didn't appear the sharpest bunch down at Carlton till recently...

They've got a better midfield, ....they've got a better midfield.
Their forward line when Hogan's playing is pretty handy. Their defence probably needs a 3rd tall with better kicking skills than Frost or the McDonalds but overall is pretty damn good and their midfield is two levels above ours.

Their forward line when Hogan's playing is pretty handy. Their defence probably needs a 3rd tall with better kicking skills than Frost or the McDonalds but overall is pretty damn good and their midfield is two levels above ours.

Would literally pick our back and fwd line over theirs 100 times out of 100. Two levels in the midfield is pretty much one or 2 capable runners that fit our bill.

What's your connection at the Dee's? It seems you may be a little over awed by the 1st round picks they have running through the middle, a pacey backline and Jesse Hogan. We're ahead of Melbourne I don't care how many levels their midfield has on ours. It's not like they've proven themselves yet. At all.. half of our group has at least played in a final.

Would literally pick our back and fwd line over theirs 100 times out of 100. Two levels in the midfield is pretty much one or 2 capable runners that fit our bill.

What's your connection at the Dee's? It seems you may be a little over awed by the 1st round picks they have running through the middle, a pacey backline and Jesse Hogan. We're ahead of Melbourne I don't care how many levels their midfield has on ours. It's not like they've proven themselves yet. At all.. half of our group has at least played in a final.
I don't give a damn about names. I care about results, and statistically, they're 6th in goals/inside 50, 5th in goals conceded/inside 50, 4th in both clearance and contested possession differential and 6th in inside 50 differential. For those statistics we're 2nd, 7th, 17th, 12th and 17th respectively. That tells me our forward line is ahead of theirs, although their's is still good, around the same in terms of defence and their midfield is far better than ours. In the end though, other than a game where they had a 2 man bench for 3/4 of the game against the Tigers, every time they've come up against a team that will be fighting for a place in the top 8 they've produced the goods. Including belting us to the tune of 7 goals.

I think a Geelong flag cuts deeper. Firstly, the rivalry is already there. It means that the cats would've won four in an era, without any assistance, and also having lost one of the greatest players the game has seen (as did the Hawks), and a dual premiership coach.

It means that there is a very legitimate argument that the Cats have been the best team of the last 20 years.

Anything GWS wins will be framed as an achievement handed over on a silver platter. The same can't be said of the Cats in any way or form.
yeah but:
upload_2017-6-13_9-35-53.png

I don't give a damn about names. I care about results, and statistically, they're 6th in goals/inside 50, 5th in goals conceded/inside 50, 4th in both clearance and contested possession differential and 6th in inside 50 differential. For those statistics we're 2nd, 7th, 17th, 12th and 17th respectively.

In the end though, other than a game where they had a 2 man bench for 3/4 of the game against the Tigers, every time they've come up against a team that will be fighting for a place in the top 8 they've produced the goods. Including belting us to the tune of 7 goals.

Well there's our first clear difference in opinion. I don't put stats above instinct from how I see them play in trying to judge where we're at, there's obviously a lot of intangibles that are just as if not more crucial to success like chemistry between the lines and within individual groups. (See hawthorn 3peat and Dogs) Seeing noticeable, continuous improvement as a team and in individuals, then being able to quantify how far we've progressed over the season. (first time stats even come into the thought process for me) Given 12/22 are a year behind the 8ball numbers don't mean a whole lot to me.

I reckon we've made noticeable improvement every week bar the Adelaide trip. A fade out in Perth is excusable, we were in every other loss and took some big scalps along the way. Better wins than Melbourne have had imo, they beat Adelaide then came home and got embarrassed.

I definitely don't ever see statistics and results as one in the same... in normal circumstances they give you a fraction of the story, even then been known to fib. But when the bottom 3 all win on the same weekend and we come out and kick 107 points on turnover against the best defensive side in the competition(..statistically), they are just about obsolete this year in gauging performance. Statistic: we're 8% behind the vastly superior Demon outfit with a stroll home if we can continue improving post bye.

What I see is everyone appearing really clear on their role when we attack. Especially the forward line whose ability to get each other in rhythm, with no obvious pecking order/egos, allows whoevers in form a good chance to capitalise or for another to exploit a match up and be a match winner. Super impressive for having only pre season together.
Coupled with the effort to run back and work for each other to effectively defend as a team is probably the best part. Easy to point fingers in a zone defence and it hurts a lot of teams, they all step up when it's their turn. Josh Green hunting Mitchell all the way to half back and getting him cold was a special moment in my life. Can see they love playing together.

I look at Melbourne and see running pretty much the same s**t box car with a new body kit and some rims, they are looking okay, still pretty bad though.. and they're still going to break down at some point and disappoint the f*** out of Garry Lyon again, who will in turn, break down. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back