Non-Influencial 'Gun' Players

Remove this Banner Ad

jake lever, darcy parish, jack macrae, lachie neale. probably anyone who's known as either an 'accumulator' (i.e. stat-padding) or an 'inteceptor' (i.e. defenders who don't defend.

You must've missed 2015-2020 regarding Hurn and McGovern.
Hurn is nearing 35 and doesn't have the power in his leg anymore, McGovern can't stay fit for too long anymore, so I can see where you're coming from if you're purely going on 2022.

Don’t think McGovern was ever worth $1.25m even in his prime. Even in their flag I didn’t see those two as clearly better defenders than the others. McGovern was their best though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McGovern basically single-handedly kept us in games when we were regularly on the wrong end of a massive I50 differential. Without him fit and firing in the last few years we haven't been able to cover that.

Stop reading at this point. All Kane Cornes ever seems to do is "call people out" for this reason or that reason. The guy is a germ. My least-liked football pundit ever. But people must really dig his brand of negavity, huh? Something about it appeals to them. They're entertained by cοckheads like Cornes who constantly sh*t on struggling clubs, coaches and players.

I'll pass. Cornes offers absolutely nothing that interests me. Has nothing good to say about anyone ever.
I don't care what he says about Cerra. Next week, he'll move onto his next target. Pfft. GAGF Cornes.
That kind of reaction is exactly why Kane has a job

McGovern basically single-handedly kept us in games when we were regularly on the wrong end of a massive I50 differential. Without him fit and firing in the last few years we haven't been able to cover that.

Pick any top defender and they could’ve done what he did. Rance, Stewart, Andrews, Grimes etc if they went back in time especially since they all cheaper

Travis Boak

Pick any top defender and they could’ve done what he did. Rance, Stewart, Andrews, Grimes etc if they went back in time especially since they all cheaper

And yet they didn't, because they were at the other end and on the losing team despite having much fewer I50s to deal with, against a team that depended almost entirely on marks I50 for scores.

And yet they didn't, because they were at the other end and on the losing team despite having much fewer I50s to deal with, against a team that depended almost entirely on marks I50 for scores.

Um Richmond in their flags deliberately lost clearances to start attack from the back half, Rance and Grimes were peppered with more inside 50s than anybody else by design. WC had the best mid in the league in 2018 didn’t have many inside 50s in ur def

Um Richmond in their flags deliberately lost clearances to start attack from the back half, Rance and Grimes were peppered with more inside 50s than anybody else by design. WC had the best mid in the league in 2018 didn’t have many inside 50s in ur def

We absolutely did not have the best midfield in the league, it was widely regarded as our weakest point. Are you really going to try and argue you saw more of my team than I did?

We absolutely did not have the best midfield in the league, it was widely regarded as our weakest point. Are you really going to try and argue you saw more of my team than I did?

Really? with Nic Nat, gaff, shuey and yeo. 3 of them were AAs and Shuey is a norm Smith medalist around the same time period.

Really? with Nic Nat, gaff, shuey and yeo. 3 of them were AAs and Shuey is a norm Smith medalist around the same time period.

Naitanui was injured for most of 2018 (and most of his career, unfortunately). Yeo was AA as a halfback. Gaff is a repeat nominee in this thread. Shuey is a clutch and big game player though (when his body allows) I'll give you that.

We went into 2018 widely expected to drop down the ladder because of the retirements of Priddis and Mitchell.

Our best mids in the finals were Redden and Sheed by the way (Shuey's NS performance a single game standout).

Personally I didn't think we'd drop down in 2018, but our midfield was still our weak point. You think we'd spend two years trying to get Kelly over (costing a fortune in cap space and picks) if our midfield was as strong as it could be? Our contested and ground ball game has always been weak, which is why our game plan relied on intercepts and retaining possession through kick-mark.

Rule changes and injuries to key players (including McGovern) made that game plan increasingly obsolete, but Naitanui being a contested beast and great tap ruck allowed us to scrape by for a couple more seasons. But he didn't play much in 2018 and there's at least one detailed article out there breaking down how hugely he papered over the cracks in our midfield.

It was our defence and our forwards who dominated that era.

Naitanui was injured for most of 2018 (and most of his career, unfortunately). Yeo was AA as a halfback. Gaff is a repeat nominee in this thread. Shuey is a clutch and big game player though (when his body allows) I'll give you that.

We went into 2018 widely expected to drop down the ladder because of the retirements of Priddis and Mitchell.

Our best mids in the finals were Redden and Sheed by the way (Shuey's NS performance a single game standout).

Personally I didn't think we'd drop down in 2018, but our midfield was still our weak point. You think we'd spend two years trying to get Kelly over (costing a fortune in cap space and picks) if our midfield was as strong as it could be? Our contested and ground ball game has always been weak, which is why our game plan relied on intercepts and retaining possession through kick-mark.

Rule changes and injuries to key players (including McGovern) made that game plan increasingly obsolete, but Naitanui being a contested beast and great tap ruck allowed us to scrape by for a couple more seasons. But he didn't play much in 2018 and there's at least one detailed article out there breaking down how hugely he papered over the cracks in our midfield.

It was our defence and our forwards who dominated that era.

Yeah fair enough, but I still think your mid wasn’t as bad as you think. But anyway still don’t think McGovern should be on more money than Dusty, something is wrong there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back