North: full memberships for the cost of a 3-gamer

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
NMFC members only have to buy a 3 game membership and they get a free upgrade to a full home membership.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/366757

How on earth can this be viable? Membership revenue is huge for clubs (or so we’re told...)

$109 for 11 games!?

Has the new Etihad arrangement given North the financial scope to do this? Good on them for rewarding the fans I guess... maybe other clubs could do this? I wouldn’t mind mine for $109.

NMFC members only have to buy a 3 game membership and they get a free upgrade to a full home membership.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/366757

How on earth can this be viable? Membership revenue is huge for clubs (or so we’re told...)

$109 for 11 games!?

Has the new Etihad arrangement given North the financial scope to do this? Good on them for rewarding the fans I guess... maybe other clubs could do this? I wouldn’t mind mine for $109.

That's what I used to pay for a hawk 18 game membership - back in 1997 and I was a student...

I don't really get why people obsess over financials in sport. It's a a game. I'm happy to enjoy it for what it is and let Gillon and his cronies worry about the financial aspect.

It's something that entertains the kids. No one gave a stuff about this stuff 20 years ago.

This is a good move. Its a marketing play, which is likely to:
1. Increase member base and therefore crowds.
2. Foot in the door technique. Once theyre in they are much easier to retain than attract new. Thats marketing 101.
3. Potentially gets those hesitant members over the line that they wouldnt have got them without this flash sale.
4. Cost of retention is far cheaper than cost of acquisition.

Its a great move.

Last edited:
I’d be pretty annoyed if I paid full price for an 11 game membership just to have this deal released on their membership drive day...
So what, s**t goes on sale all the time. You win some you lose some. Phone companies give better deals to new customers than existing. You buy something today its 50% off tomorrow. This happens all over the globe.

So what, s**t goes on sale all the time. You win some you lose some. Phone companies give better deals to new customers than existing. You buy something today its 50% off tomorrow. This happens all over the globe.

Wouldn’t stop me from being pissed off about it though

Last edited:
2. Foot in the door technique. Once theyre in they are much easier to retain than attract new. Thats marketing 101.
3. Potentially gets those hesitant members over the line that they wouldnt have got them without this flash sale.

Its a great move.

Yeah, that’s probably it. Worth a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a great move.
Yep, will stick the boot in when it's warranted, but this is smart. Roos fans will tell me, you guys lost about 5k members last year? Back to 40k odd?

If this gets membership near 50k, def worth it.

Yep, will stick the boot in when it's warranted, but this is smart. Roos fans will tell me, you guys lost about 5k members last year? Back to 40k odd?

We still won't crack 40K this year. It's a one day SEN offer. It's nothing.

Close to 40k, although I will be surprised if we breach 40k, purely because of the position of the list, etc.

At least the planned redevelopment plans have gone through, so hopefully some organic membership growth over the next decade+.

I could be completely wrong but don’t home teams get a share of food and beverage revenue from each game?

They have to pay the stadium/AFL $x fixed each game and then the revenue is split between the stadium, food and beverage operators and the club.

So even if they sell the 11 game memberships for the price of 3, if they could get another 10k members (hypothetically) then they’d be relying on those members to buy food and beverage. Because the stadium fee is fixed any additional game day revenue is cream.

Its a great move.
It's too easy to lay the boot in sometimes but Im with you on this and see it as a great move for one of the smaller clubs. Long term it could lead to more attendees on game days and maybe more supporters.

You won't see a Richmond or Collingwood do it as they don't need to, but for a club with a smaller supporter base like North, it's a great idea.

I could be completely wrong but don’t home teams get a share of food and beverage revenue from each game?

They have to pay the stadium/AFL $x fixed each game and then the revenue is split between the stadium, food and beverage operators and the club.

So even if they sell the 11 game memberships for the price of 3, if they could get another 10k members (hypothetically) then they’d be relying on those members to buy food and beverage. Because the stadium fee is fixed any additional game day revenue is cream.
Let me see ...... if you worked in an AFL clubs marketing/membership team and decided to apply your rationale, it appears logical.

However let’s apply this to North ...... with their current team how many home games do you think will be decided by the 1st or 2nd Qtr therefore making people want to LEAVE!!

See where I’m going ........

The reason they're doing it is so they can hit 40k again and pull themselves off over how good their numbers are.

Their membership numbers have been declining significantly which is not unexpected given the teams on field performance. They have to do something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back