Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

OK enough has changed I will update this:
So out of contract 2022 we currently have the following

Scott, Perez, Young, Turner, J Walker, Jed, Atu, Kyron, Mcguiness (cat b), P Walker.

Green = Rumoured to be staying
Orange = on thin ice
Red = Already Delisted this year.

If the greens all stay.
And the oranges all go.
We will have 6 open list spots for changes this off season.
We can probably add 1-2 from the PP. Maybe.

No Richmond did not trade future draft picks them request them back some months later
How’s that any different to what we did? Apart from the ccj trade our third rounder got traded so the club could have an extra draft pick last year (Paul Curtis)

How’s that any different to what we did? Apart from the ccj trade our third rounder got traded so the club could have an extra draft pick last year (Paul Curtis)
It’s the the same minus the future trading.

But poster hates to admit Richmond did what we are doing - it’s a way to try and stay on his high horse.

Getting Clarko makes it more likely the AFL will give us good priority assistance.

Which we will use to lure oppo club talent.

Which we will mold into a fearsome multiple flag winning unit.

And then we shall bathe in their tears.

It's ridiculous north can trade out a top20 pick them demand dole charity a few months later.

It sets a very slippery slope for future rebuilding teams

That pick has nothing to do with anything. Maybe in a few years, but that pick hasn’t even entered the AFL yet. The PP, if we get any will be based off our performance over the past few years. A pick that hasn’t even been used yet is completely irrelevant.

Also there is no reason why CCJ can’t be a more than serviceable player in the future. There is a good chance that CCJ has an equivalent or better career than whoever is taken with pick 19 this year.

Below is pick 19 from 2010-19. I left the last few years out because it’s too early to get a gauge. Two A graders in Smith and English and De Koning is on the way. The rest are either delisted or average to below average footballers. CCJ is already ahead of 4 of the delisted players from that list and by the end of his career could go past a few more. The trade for CCJ is far from a disaster and has a fair way to play out.

2010 - Isaac Smith
2011 - Elliott Kavanagh
2012 - Ben Kennedy
2013 - Blake Acres
2014 - Blaine Boekhorst
2015 - Ryan Burton
2016 - Tim English
2017 - Will Powell
2018 - Liam Stocker
2019 - Sam De Koning

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That pick has nothing to do with anything. Maybe in a few years, but that pick hasn’t even entered the AFL yet. The PP, if we get any will be based off our performance over the past few years. A pick that hasn’t even been used yet is completely irrelevant.

Also there is no reason why CCJ can’t be a more than serviceable player in the future. There is a good chance that CCJ has an equivalent or better career than whoever is taken with pick 19 this year.

Below is pick 19 from 2010-19. I left the last few years out because it’s too early to get a gauge. Two A graders in Smith and English and De Koning is on the way. The rest are either delisted or average to below average footballers. CCJ is already ahead of 4 of the delisted players from that list and by the end of his career could go past a few more. The trade for CCJ is far from a disaster and has a fair way to play out.

2010 - Isaac Smith
2011 - Elliott Kavanagh
2012 - Ben Kennedy
2013 - Blake Acres
2014 - Blaine Boekhorst
2015 - Ryan Burton
2016 - Tim English
2017 - Will Powell
2018 - Liam Stocker
2019 - Sam De Koning

We also got Paul Curtis.

2010 - Isaac Smith
2011 - Elliott Kavanagh
2012 - Ben Kennedy
2013 - Blake Acres
2014 - Blaine Boekhorst
2015 - Ryan Burton
2016 - Tim English
2017 - Will Powell
2018 - Liam Stocker
2019 - Sam De Koning

I'm biased but think Wil Powell will prove to be an above average footballer.
If drafting from the list above, would take him 3rd behind English and De Koning.
Finished 2nd in the Suns best and fairest in 2021.
Was having a bit of a down year 2022 before being injured in the back half of the year.

CCJ going fine for a big guy, having been 22 years old the majority of this year.
Although, would want to see some improvement in the next 12 months to the point where he was a set and forget best 22 player by the end of next year.

I'm biased but think Wil Powell will prove to be an above average footballer.
If drafting from the list above, would take him 3rd behind English and De Koning.
Finished 2nd in the Suns best and fairest in 2021.
Was having a bit of a down year 2022 before being injured in the back half of the year.

CCJ going fine for a big guy, having been 22 years old the majority of this year.
Although, would want to see some improvement in the next 12 months to the point where he was a set and forget best 22 player by the end of next year.

You're right on Powell. We went really hard last time he was OOC. Shame he missed so much of this year, he was really ready to go.

You're right on Powell. We went really hard last time he was OOC. Shame he missed so much of this year, he was really ready to go.
We really missed him back half of the year.

From what I've seen Flynn Perez has got a similar skillset.
Although Powell probably better overhead marking and Perez a bit more quick twitch athletic.

I don't think Wil would ever go play in Melbourne. Loves the beach that much.

We really missed him back half of the year.

From what I've seen Flynn Perez has got a similar skillset.
Although Powell probably better overhead marking and Perez a bit more quick twitch athletic.

They both have hard heads too.

So you were against Richmond getting Deledio and Rance? These 2 shouldn't have been allowed to be draft to Richmond?

Honestly I was too young back then to really understand, but yes that's what I'm saying.

I think the expansion clubs have changed the AFL a lot - I don't believe there's enough elite talent to field 18 teams. I think quality of football was better with 16 teams.

Therefore I think PP's shouldn't be considered anymore as there's not enough talent for each club to draft.

As I said earlier I'd rather an enlarged TPP that tapers off so less successful clubs can afford to bring in another 1-2 players by trade/FA etc. Also think access to state players by additional list spots and MSD is a good idea - for example let them bottom teams take an additional player without requiring a list spots etc.

Honestly I was too young back then to really understand, but yes that's what I'm saying.

I think the expansion clubs have changed the AFL a lot - I don't believe there's enough elite talent to field 18 teams. I think quality of football was better with 16 teams.

Therefore I think PP's shouldn't be considered anymore as there's not enough talent for each club to draft.

As I said earlier I'd rather an enlarged TPP that tapers off so less successful clubs can afford to bring in another 1-2 players by trade/FA etc. Also think access to state players by additional list spots and MSD is a good idea - for example let them bottom teams take an additional player without requiring a list spots etc.

You should have stopped I was too young.

We don’t want to fill our list with dregs, we’ll let other teams like st Kilda do that.

No Richmond did not trade future draft picks them request them back some months later
Richmond also didn't trade away picks for a player that the system said they could have for free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting Clarko makes it more likely the AFL will give us good priority assistance.

Which we will use to lure oppo club talent.

Which we will mold into a fearsome multiple flag winning unit.

And then we shall bathe in their tears.
Good to see there's still some North supporters out there. It's be a shame if they'd all given up following the AFL.

Good to see there's still some North supporters out there. It's be a shame if they'd all given up following the AFL.

Don't you have a racist camp to attend.

You raise a good point.

I’m not sure whether or not a PP is the right assistance but I think middle of the table sides like north were the most affected by the expansion drafts weren’t really good enough to have players to trade for high draft picks but not low enough to be in the top 15 of those drafts. It’s that age group that really is an issue.

Your TPP Idea has merit but we lack the capital to trade for the players to use it. In terms of fa targets it would seem that the players have already made their arrangements The two state league players is a bit diluted by previous mid season drafts.

I honestly don’t know what the solution is. I had an idea where the Roos identify a player who might be contracted but willing to move and the afl grant a compensation pick to facilitate a pseudo trade but even that has flaws

You raise a good point.

I’m not sure whether or not a PP is the right assistance but I think middle of the table sides like north were the most affected by the expansion drafts weren’t really good enough to have players to trade for high draft picks but not low enough to be in the top 15 of those drafts. It’s that age group that really is an issue.

Your TPP Idea has merit but we lack the capital to trade for the players to use it. In terms of fa targets it would seem that the players have already made their arrangements The two state league players is a bit diluted by previous mid season drafts.

I honestly don’t know what the solution is. I had an idea where the Roos identify a player who might be contracted but willing to move and the afl grant a compensation pick to facilitate a pseudo trade but even that has flaws

Appreciate your mature response unlike the other twit.

Agree re: trade capital.

Regarding FA I guess you'd have to hope that someone would be keen to make a big pay day rather than play for flags. Think of it like COLA I guess but for TPP and soft cap for admin/coaching staff.

The things I don't like about PP's is that is can compromise a club's determination to actually win games (see Dees) and it takes years for kids to develop anyway so any real change would take 3-5+ years to be realised this way. Then you also have the issue of young players (this new generation anyway) likely to leave if they don't see some immediate success which is a concern for JHF as well as the entire GCS/GWS lists so giving them more picks/kids doesn't mean they'll stay anyway.

Bit of a pickle but the persistent theme seems to be that a well run club/business will succeed so I think the soft cap increase (even if it was subsidised by the AFL) would be a good option.

Appreciate your mature response unlike the other twit.

Agree re: trade capital.

Regarding FA I guess you'd have to hope that someone would be keen to make a big pay day rather than play for flags. Think of it like COLA I guess but for TPP and soft cap for admin/coaching staff.

The things I don't like about PP's is that is can compromise a club's determination to actually win games (see Dees) and it takes years for kids to develop anyway so any real change would take 3-5+ years to be realised this way. Then you also have the issue of young players (this new generation anyway) likely to leave if they don't see some immediate success which is a concern for JHF as well as the entire GCS/GWS lists so giving them more picks/kids doesn't mean they'll stay anyway.

Bit of a pickle but the persistent theme seems to be that a well run club/business will succeed so I think the soft cap increase (even if it was subsidised by the AFL) would be a good option.
I think in our case if the AFL had acted sooner they would have to give us less.
For example I reckon with the current historically low list sizes. If they had given us a couple of extra rookie list spots last year we would be further along in our rebuild now.
I don't want picks every year for nothing (although it does bring on some epic melts).
I have hated in the past our picks being pushed back because someone else is shit.
Picks should be the last resort IMO.
We are in this mess now and we cant go back 12 months and fix it.
But I really think some aspects of GC package (which actually worked) are great ideas which dont really effect any other club.
Like the extra rookie list places and second round picks.
I reckon the wooden spooner should have 2 extra list places every year. No club would tank for that.

Back