Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Fossie 32

Cropped this from a screenshot from a YouTube video taken in an antique shop in North Carolina. Kinda caught my eye!

rwb.png

anyone played around with Dall-E mini?

I think its a pretty cool algo.

View attachment 1430796

Im on the waitlist for Dall-E 2. Keen to start spitting out some fun digital art.
Is that Bedendo top right? And I see Bont’s nose! 😁

Was having a look earlier at the 2003 draft/trade period. Does anyone know who our list manager was? If so, I assume they were sacked a long ago but can we sack them a 2nd time for good measure?

After finishing last then losing our best young player Nathan Brown for picks 6 and 20, at one point we had an amazing hand - picks 1, 4, 6, 19, 20, 35 and pick 1 in the PSD. A draft to set us up for a sustained run at a flag.

What did we do with those picks? Took Cooney with pick 1 (good) and Ray with 4, and the rest - 6 + Mark Alvey for Lachie Veale (and somehow the rights to Jade Rawlings in the PSD), 19 for Stephen Koops, 20 for Peter Street, 35 for Adam Morgan.

Veale: 0 games, Koops: 11 games, Street: 61 games, Morgan: 14 games, Rawlings: 29 games. It's got to go down as one of if not the worst trade period in history of any club.

Was having a look earlier at the 2003 draft/trade period. Does anyone know who our list manager was? If so, I assume they were sacked a long ago but can we sack them a 2nd time for good measure?

After finishing last then losing our best young player Nathan Brown for picks 6 and 20, at one point we had an amazing hand - picks 1, 4, 6, 19, 20, 35 and pick 1 in the PSD. A draft to set us up for a sustained run at a flag.

What did we do with those picks? Took Cooney with pick 1 (good) and Ray with 4, and the rest - 6 + Mark Alvey for Lachie Veale (and somehow the rights to Jade Rawlings in the PSD), 19 for Stephen Koops, 20 for Peter Street, 35 for Adam Morgan.

Veale: 0 games, Koops: 11 games, Street: 61 games, Morgan: 14 games, Rawlings: 29 games. It's got to go down as one of if not the worst trade period in history of any club.
Don’t forget that by having to use our PSD pick on Rawlings rather than just having him be included in the pick 6 “Veale Deal” we missed out on using the PSD pick on Nick Stevens. Turned out to be a s**t bloke but that doesn’t excuse the list manager.

That was one of the shallowest drafts ever. Not too many bright lights after Cooney and Walker (pick 2).

There was Mundy at 19 (the pick we traded for Koops :eek: ) and then a few not-quite-A-grade 200 gamers like Stanton (pick 13), Ray (4), Adcock (33) and Fisher (55). Even if we'd taken all those six it would be nothing to write home about.

By comparison with an identical draft hand in 2004 we could have drafted Jarryd Roughead, Buddy Franklin and Jordan Lewis - a trio who were at the core of Hawthorn's three-peat - and still had picks 19, 20 and 35 to muck around with.

So 2003 was probably our best draft hand ever and happened to coincide with the worst draft year ever. :sadv1:

The 1995 draft was a doozy too.

Pick 9 Allen Jakovich
  • Prestgiacomo went at 10
  • Scott Welsh went at 17
  • Bulldogs supporter BARRY HALL went at 19!!!

Pick 29 Todd Curley
Pick 43 Mark West
Pick 53 Tony Campbell
  • Curley was a fair choice, West too, but recycling Campbell!
  • Brent Harvey, Darren Milburn and Ronnie Burns went at 47, 48, 49
  • Daniel Bradshaw went at 56

We could have had Hall, Harvey, Milburn and Bradshaw - all Victorians, all premiership players.

That was one of the shallowest drafts ever. Not too many bright lights after Cooney and Walker (pick 2).

There was Mundy at 19 (the pick we traded for Koops :eek: ) and then a few not-quite-A-grade 200 gamers like Stanton (pick 13), Ray (4), Adcock (33) and Fisher (55). Even if we'd taken all those six it would be nothing to write home about.

By comparison with an identical draft hand in 2004 we could have drafted Jarryd Roughead, Buddy Franklin and Jordan Lewis - a trio who were at the core of Hawthorn's three-peat - and still had picks 19, 20 and 35 to muck around with.

So 2003 was probably our best draft hand ever and happened to coincide with the worst draft year ever. :sadv1:
Hawks nailed the Roughead, Franklin, Lewis picks but people tend to overlook they absolutely ballsed up some other prime picks around the same time, namely Beau Dowler and Mitch Thorp as pick #6 KPFs in the following 2 drafts*. Their ability to successfully bring in players from other clubs for peanuts compared to output (Burgoyne, Lake, Frawley, Gunston, Gibson, Hale, McEvoy etc.) was the core of their success (combined with all the compromised drafts)

* Who knows how they ever thought to fit Roughead, Franklin, Dowler and Thorp in the same team if they worked out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody recall seeing a panel discussion on TV around the time of the 2016 grand final which involved Merv Hughes? I am sure I saw Merv sitting around a desk with a few other Bulldog supporters chatting about our 2016 success, but I can't find any such thing on YouTube.

Does anybody recall seeing a panel discussion on TV around the time of the 2016 grand final which involved Merv Hughes? I am sure I saw Merv sitting around a desk with a few other Bulldog supporters chatting about our 2016 success, but I can't find any such thing on YouTube.

This one?

This one?

Yes, that would have to be the one. Thanks for finding the show. Is there a way to watch it through that link or do you need to subscribe?

Didn't see it but he's ridiculously good. Keeps going as he is, he will be an all time great.

Legit though?
Yes I think he's legit, if what you are questioning is doping etc.

He seems a cut above the others. The romance of the tour though is that random events can happen, like injuries, crashes, etc. So while he'd be odds on with the bookies it isn't over until they finish in Paris.

What's so impressive about him is that he doesn't have a powerful team around him - like Ineos Grenadiers. So he has to do a lot of the hard slog himself, and yet he still has that great kick at the finish.

Didn't see it but he's ridiculously good. Keeps going as he is, he will be an all time great.

Legit though?
I choose to believe he is clean. Who really knows though. I am only a casual fan. Not into bike riding etc but love watching the tour and the Pog is a superstar.

I choose to believe he is clean. Who really knows though. I am only a casual fan. Not into bike riding etc but love watching the tour and the Pog is a superstar.
It's definitely more enjoyable to watch when you believe they're all clean. The peloton has definitely become cleaner over the years so it's entirely possible. Let's hope so cos he's a jet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back