Society/Culture Nutters kill 29 (incl children) on a bus in Egypt. Why does nobody care?

Remove this Banner Ad

Certain lives are worth more to us than others. It's a fact of life for everyone. I don't think it's something that can be changed-- & even if it could be, we wouldn't want to. Can you imagine genuinely caring about everyone equally? Puke. You couldn't function like that.

Certain lives are worth more to us than others. It's a fact of life for everyone. I don't think it's something that can be changed-- & even if it could be, we wouldn't want to. Can you imagine genuinely caring about everyone equally? Puke. You couldn't function like that.

You have just repudiated the fundamental principles of an egalitarian democratic society, prefaced upon equal rights for all.....And all in a vein attempt to justify & legitimize U.S & Western foreign policy, which is the true enemy of those basic tenets.....Well done indeed.

Total dictatorship is just around the corner.

how many civilians has the US army killed this past year?
oh sorry, that's not 'terror' is it?

It's not terrorism until the MSM labels it as such.

if i wake up in the morning and find poo in the toilet- it's not really such a surprise
but if i find poo on the kitchen table- well, there's reason to be concerned now

Because if the media reported every terrorist attack world wide we would see just how big of a s**t storm we are in. There are literally going off every day. (Granted this has been a problem for years but it is escalating very worryingly). Almost like all bets are off. In many parts of the world there has been an uneasy truce but now looks like the gloves are off and many are picking sides.

So it is kept under raps and we save the solidarity for people we relate to (i.e. Manchester).

In a sense that is Human nature. It is not that people don't care but thousands die every day. If you were to grieve everyone of them you'd never leave the house. That's different from not caring.
What are you on about? Deaths from terrorism globally is incredibly small. murders from bungled robberies, car crashes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have just repudiated the fundamental principles of an egalitarian democratic society, prefaced upon equal rights for all.....And all in a vein attempt to justify & legitimize U.S & Western foreign policy, which is the true enemy of those basic tenets.....Well done indeed.

Total dictatorship is just around the corner.

It's not terrorism until the MSM labels it as such.

Lolwut? What I said has nothing to do with American foreign policy or equality before the law. No egalitarian society expects you to privately value the life of a stranger with same interest & passion you do for your family, because that's not how humans work. The same goes for your own community vs one that's completely foreign to you.

No one said anything about caring for everyone equally...

Do you not know what compassion and empathy is??

No it isn't. It's much more complex than 'its gross to care about everyone equally'...

We're unequally vested in/passionate about certain people & places. This affects how we consume media. That's all I'm saying. It's not complex at all.

How we should deal with the first fact of life is very complex, but that still doesn't mean "we can't care about people equally" is wrong. It's true. Whether you think that's relevant to the discussion or not is something else.

I have some experience working in media and I feel I might be able to somewhat answer this question.

Every day news outlets receive stacks of news, press releases etc. Of all the news that comes in, probably 95% never even make it to the final print.

A large number of these press releases are from companies trying to subtly promote their product by trying to make it sound like it's actually news and not just an advertisement even though in reality all it is is just an ad. Unfortunately the lines between these two are becoming more and more blurred.

Anyway, back on topic, when the news comes in and is written up by the journalists, the editors then sit down and determine the placings of this news in their media, what the big stories are etc..

They do this by taking in a series of factors including: element of conflict, timeliness (when did this happen), impact of the news, rarity (how often does this happen?), prominence (is it someone or somewhere famous), human interest (can we relate to this?), and proximity.

It's important to note that proximity is not always about distance, but is often expanded into something known as 'Cultural Proximity', cultures that reader or viewership can relate to best. A good example is that European-Australians are deemed to relate better to a story about an accident in New Zealand, rather than an accident in an indigenous community in Northern Territory.

So let's look at this Egyptian terrorist attack from the eyes of a media executive;

Conflict: Yes, numerous fatalities. This guarantees that it will at least do the rounds in the media even if in the back pages.
Timeliness: Yep, it's pretty recent, also helps the story secure it's place as registering in the media.
Impact: Some, but again debatable what impact this story will actually have outside of Egypt.
Human Interest & Proximity: Sadly no, as it is hard for Australian readers to really relate to an event that happens to a different group of people.
Rarity: No. Terrorism in the middle east feels like a daily occurrence.
Prominence: Zero. No one we could even name was involved, nor were any of the victims Australian.

As the saying goes; "If a dog bites a man that is not news. If a man bites a dog, that is news." A terrorist attack in Egypt is not a man biting a dog.

Please note I'm not saying I agree or disagree with how the media does it, just that this is how it is often done.

This was a great reply btw, I wanna retract my posts & just like this one.

What's even worse is that the people calling out "the mainstream media" for not caring about these incidents, more often than not, only care about calling out the mainstream media and not about the hundreds of dead children that are being used as a focal point.

If they did actually care, you'd hear their sentiments year round and not in the aftermath of western terrorist attacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back