Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

“Footballers in the Ovens and Murray, Hume and Tallangatta leagues will have to sit out of the sport for three weeks if they suffer a concussion this season.” -Border Mail

I think this is ridiculous. Yes the evidence points to players requiring longer periods of time to recover. But, players will now be putting themselves at further risk when they try to hide it especially when things head towards the pointy end. 14 days is better than a bloke playing 7 days later because they won’t sit out three
Also begs the question, if clubs don’t have doctors at games is it fair on a much less qualified trainer to make a call on whether it’s a concussion or not.

Some interesting results from practise matches yesterday.
Wang took care of Seymour with the ever youthful Michael Newton dominant.
Rovers fell in over a depleted Albury, reports suggesting O'Brien might live up to the price tag.
And the concerning result Grong Grong Matong defeated North by a couple kicks. You would assume North would have rested thier better players but still should be taking care of a mob from a drastically lower level.

All bought upon one’s self
Tom was up in Noosa visiting his parents this weekend.Was asked if he could come down on Friday night and help train the Under 13 boys,he was happy too,he ran water for the Colts practise game on Saturday morning as we were short of volunteers then filled in for the Ressies game who were short on numbers due to a wedding.Not everyone would do that and he only played at Noosa for one year!BTW he kicked 8🤣

Some interesting results from practise matches yesterday.
Wang took care of Seymour with the ever youthful Michael Newton dominant.
Rovers fell in over a depleted Albury, reports suggesting O'Brien might live up to the price tag.
And the concerning result Grong Grong Matong defeated North by a couple kicks. You would assume North would have rested thier better players but still should be taking care of a mob from a drastically lower level.

Shaun Daly must still have an itch.

Tom was up in Noosa visiting his parents this weekend.Was asked if he could come down on Friday night and help train the Under 13 boys,he was happy too,he ran water for the Colts practise game on Saturday morning as we were short of volunteers then filled in for the Ressies game who were short on numbers due to a wedding.Not everyone would do that and he only played at Noosa for one year!BTW he kicked 8🤣
Couldn’t have written it better description bit by bit . Sounds like you may have written your own report and topped it off by kicking 8 in a sub standard reserves game .. well done 😂😂otherwise you wouldn’t read the OMFL forum 😂😂😂anyway well done on 8 goals

Couldn’t have written it better description bit by bit . Sounds like you may have written your own report and topped it off by kicking 8 in a sub standard reserves game .. well done 😂😂otherwise you wouldn’t read the OMFL forum 😂😂😂anyway well done on 8 goals
Noosaboy isn’t Tom I can tell you that and he was a good player who’s now making sure Noosa footy club keep moving forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not Tom mate but wish I was as fit! Just letting you know he does a lot of good stuff too for local footy clubs.Always had a interest in the O and M also.Went to a boarding school in Kilmore where plenty of my mates were from the North East and are still heavilly involved in their footy clubs.Had a fair few boys come from the O and M to play at Noosa over the years including current Captain Lachy Flagg👍

Look up oandm live on Facebook and check the comments section where prime gets a free to win round 1 last year

Are the afl going to pay a doctor to attend every footy game on a Saturday? How many guys are going to see a doc on the Monday if they have mild symptoms, they won't, as they won't want to miss 3 weeks. This is purely insurance protection from the afl to stop being sued in the future that's all
The AFL won't allocate any funds to local footy for this (or any) issue. It will be upo to the head trainer to make the concussion assessment and they will be conservative IMO. The concussion issue is an extremely hot political topic and a club will not risk future litigation for putting a player back on the field. The more interesting down stream implication will be the degree of liability a club trainer and / or coach will assume if a player decides to litigate in the future.

Hey guys ,
who is the senior Corowa-Rutherglen coach this season and whats his basic resume look like

Steve Owen
Was drafted by Geelong in mid 00s, but never played a game. Then Played/coached at Queenscliff for years but had to retire from playing early due to injury.
Coached Rutherglen for two seasons recently aswell.

The AFL won't allocate any funds to local footy for this (or any) issue. It will be upo to the head trainer to make the concussion assessment and they will be conservative IMO. The concussion issue is an extremely hot political topic and a club will not risk future litigation for putting a player back on the field. The more interesting down stream implication will be the degree of liability a club trainer and / or coach will assume if a player decides to litigate in the future.
Definitely agree, I listened to Andrew Dillon on Dylan Buckley's podcast.. he acknowledged how important local footy is but it sounded to me like they expect it will always be there for the purpose they need it for (pipeline to coates league/VFL) and though he didn't explicitly state it, sounds like they wouldn't be bothered if smaller clubs die off, obviously the talented kids will still play somewhere and pursue footy at higher levels. He also referenced some stat about people who participate in local footy are 7x more likely to attend an AFL match than those who don't and they need people through the gates to keep growing the game - cool, guess at the end of the day that is that what matters....

Also gave the impression that any future funding will be for growing participation in other areas - girls/womens footy, something in between Auskick and junior competitions to keep more kids playing who aren't ready or up to playing organised football.

I think players will be their own worst enemies with concussion rules, some just don't take it seriously and will want to play, some coaches will push players to play but IMO it'll be players trying to get away from taking the time off, especially those who rely on the money they're getting paid to play.

Definitely agree, I listened to Andrew Dillon on Dylan Buckley's podcast.. he acknowledged how important local footy is but it sounded to me like they expect it will always be there for the purpose they need it for (pipeline to coates league/VFL) and though he didn't explicitly state it, sounds like they wouldn't be bothered if smaller clubs die off, obviously the talented kids will still play somewhere and pursue footy at higher levels. He also referenced some stat about people who participate in local footy are 7x more likely to attend an AFL match than those who don't and they need people through the gates to keep growing the game - cool, guess at the end of the day that is that what matters....

Also gave the impression that any future funding will be for growing participation in other areas - girls/womens footy, something in between Auskick and junior competitions to keep more kids playing who aren't ready or up to playing organised football.

I think players will be their own worst enemies with concussion rules, some just don't take it seriously and will want to play, some coaches will push players to play but IMO it'll be players trying to get away from taking the time off, especially those who rely on the money they're getting paid to play.
Needa to understand women’s football is shrinking quickly. The novelty has worn off and drop off rate is getting larger.

Your being harsh on Dillon , i trust him top look after lower levels

Remove this Banner Ad

Back