One thing you want changed in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

1) The insane insistence by the AFL of teams wearing "White" away strips
2) Sunday Twilight matches in Victoria starting at 3.30pm. All Sunday games out of Melbourne should commence no later than 2.10pm.
3) Re-Open Princes Park, IMO Carlton will never be a power again unless they return home for at least 6 games per year. A disastrous move!
4) All Finals to be played at the home ground of those teams that qualified higher irrespective of potential MCG attendance
5) Interchange rotations down to 60 plus a forward arc rule where one player from each team must be in their respective forward arc at all times..

I'd like to see the still deemed to be in possession rule when a player bounces the ball modified, so that it only applies on the first bounce.

After a player has bounced the ball once - for the tackle to be legal the player has to in possession of the ball.

From memory the original reason for this rule was to stop Kevin Bartlett running with the ball and making it very difficult to stop him legally, by bouncing the ball, and thus not be deemed in posession, just before the tackle. It took extraordinary skill and timing, but if it was changed I'd back modern players to figure it out

From memory the original reason for this rule was to stop Kevin Bartlett running with the ball and making it very difficult to stop him legally, by bouncing the ball, and thus not be deemed in posession, just before the tackle. It took extraordinary skill and timing, but if it was changed I'd back modern players to figure it out

Yep, Barlett, Cable too. But it was more about when they did it around the goals. Turn the back to a player and bounce just as they were about to be tackled. I'm suggesting the first bounce being kept as in possession would eliminate that, and that the general numbers back in defense would negate the time it takes to do it on the 2nd bounce.

I'd like players to get back that opportunity they used to have of running and bouncing and taking the game on and using the bounce as a means of keeping the chaser at bay.

Yep, Barlett, Cable too. But it was more about when they did it around the goals. Turn the back to a player and bounce just as they were about to be tackled. I'm suggesting the first bounce being kept as in possession would eliminate that, and that the general numbers back in defense would negate the time it takes to do it on the 2nd bounce.

I'd like players to get back that opportunity they used to have of running and bouncing and taking the game on and using the bounce as a means of keeping the chaser at bay.
Fair enough.
Modern players are more likely to have the aerobic capacity to kick straight after a long run. I can see it could add to the spectacle.

I'd like to see the still deemed to be in possession rule when a player bounces the ball modified, so that it only applies on the first bounce.

After a player has bounced the ball once - for the tackle to be legal the player has to in possession of the ball.
That's a terrible idea. Every player would bounce the ball the first chance they got, then simply "bounce"/throw the ball on the ground any time they were about to be tackled and couldn't get a pass off to a team mate.

That's a terrible idea. Every player would bounce the ball the first chance they got, then simply "bounce"/throw the ball on the ground any time they were about to be tackled and couldn't get a pass off to a team mate.

There is that. Like the previous poster said, there's bound to be some other exploitation of advantage it gives you.

I just reckon its too easy now for an opposition player to tackle a player running and bouncing and its never been a good look for me - but I can recall that it used to be a skill be able to time the tackle. You can still catch up to him and body him off the ball if a player is trying to bounce a way out of being caught.

BTW: A bounce is a when the ball comes back to you. If its a throw, its incorrect disposal.

Last edited:
Kick-ins cannnot be taken until the goal umpire has waved the flag. This eliminates the rushed behinds being advantageous to the defensive team.

No more deliberate in the current format. If a team continually sends it out of bounds under no pressure, give an official warning before paying a free kick.

Holding the ball should not penalise a player when a second player is sitting on them. Make it like the illegal strip in rugby, where it is only acceptable when one player is in the tackle

Prior opportunity. If you bounce or attempt to bounce then you have had 'opportunity to dispose of the ball' , that you choose to continue bouncing should count against you.

Nothing to say you cant keep bouncing but be mindful of the tackler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Geelong should build a stadium that fits a reasonable amount of people, or relocate their home games to one that does. Might be a bit out there but it just might work

Larger capacity than Spotless but GWS have hosted two finals there in the last two years.

It's fine if the AFL cares more about ticket $$$ than anything else, but they shouldn't feed the public bullshit about the 'integrity of the competition' when it clearly has none.

1) Change the interchange to subs (make it an 18 on 18 again)
2) pay dropping the ball again
3) make the deliberate rushed behind rule paid the same as the deliberate out of bounds rule so there’s no confusion
4) cap the preseason so every team comes back on the same day in January
5) change the trade rules so that clubs trade contracts and players can’t nominate clubs and screw over there original team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to see the umpires employed by an independent commission, with a supervisory group including refs from another sport. umpires should be accountable to the umpiring commission and not the league.

I want to see the tone of umpiring change
- less highly interpretive, judgmental whiny losers
- more precise, authoritative and clinical
It makes me sick to see an umpire run after a player calling his first name in a childish voice. (darren? darren? darren? save your money, mate!! Darren? Darren?). Call them by their number.

Umpires should say things like "That's high" "22 you are reported" "Quiet or its 50"

This will actually reduce the amount of time umpires spend on screen and reduce their prominence.

Finally, it wouldn't kill the players to refer to the umpire as "Sir."

It is well established that rugby is a stupid game but at least they can get refereeing done right.

I don't mind hearing the umps, at least you get to hear their explanation for the free kick instead of sitting there thinking "wtf was that for??"

I just want them to stop bringing in new rules every damn year! The game was great as it was 15 years ago, it doesn't need to evolve every single year with new rules. Even the umps can't keep up with all the rule changes as we're seeing now with incorrect calls being made and admitted to.

Richmond win the flag and now all of a sudden the media thinks the game is in trouble,what w***ers!

Remove the rule saying if the ball hits the post it is a behind. If the ball hits the post but still goes through the goals it should be a goal, and if it hits the post and bounces back in play it should be play on. It would make so many iffy calls a lot easier.

The "contact below the knees" rule.

It's quite a simple fix. Just look at soccer's rules for tackling of what is not right.

If you lead with your feet/legs and slide in to get the ball and get someone below the knees it's a free kick. That is dangerous and can cause serious injury, which we saw with Gary Rohan.

If you dive in to get the ball first with your arms/head then it's play-on. You've made the effort to go in and get the ball first and should be protected for that.

Right now players are getting to the ball first, safely getting the ball, and the player second to the ball, arguably intentionally, continues motion to falls over the player who has got the ball and get a free kick when they're at no serious injury risk at all. It's not right.

Yeah running with the ball needs to be encouraged.

The automatic HTB when tackling a player taking a bounce is too easy. I think the tackle should have to be good enough so that if they don't re take possession then it is holding the ball. If they do re take possession then they get a chance to immediately handball it away. Most of the time a half-decent tackle will see the tackled player not be able to retake the ball anyway.

While on the topic of bouncing, the current rule of having to bounce every 15m is ludicrous. 15m is not much more than a goal square and a half; we need to make it 20 or even 25 and then police it rigidly.

Remove the rule saying if the ball hits the post it is a behind. If the ball hits the post but still goes through the goals it should be a goal, and if it hits the post and bounces back in play it should be play on. It would make so many iffy calls a lot easier.

It's a fundamental change, but with merit.

Only thing id say is that hitting the goal post and coming back into play should still be a point. And if we did have this change, perhaps make the posts slightly closer together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back