Autopsy Onion rings and moats... (Part 1 – Flooding Stoppages)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing I noticed on Sunday is when there was a ball up inside Adelaide's 50, the Cows let Judd be first into the scrimmage, while his direct opponent sagged off the play waiting for the ball to spill and scored, happened at least 3 times.

50/50 ball deep in the opposition 50, Judd has to find a man, not the other way around.

Just sayin' :)

Haha I really like this. How many times has an absolute scrubber miskick forward resulted in a goal? I can remember one for Walker earlier this year, I'd think the conversion rate for these would be a lot better than for the long high kick.

Not as dumb as it sounds if you ask me.
Although as a coach, you're basically admitting defeat and saying your forward line is a rabble in doing so. Not good for confidence.

Either get the ball over the contest or grubber it for our small forwards to work their ground level skills.

Not as dumb as it sounds if you ask me.
Although as a coach, you're basically admitting defeat and saying your forward line is a rabble in doing so. Not good for confidence.

Either get the ball over the contest or grubber it for our small forwards to work their ground level skills.

I wasn't joking, agree completely. Betts, Garlett, Walker and even Yarrans main strengths are speed and the ability to read the bounce of the ball better than their direct opponent.

i like the idea of the long tap, especially at the center.
If we can leave players like simmo, garlett even lucas classy faster players on a wing and bring scotland to the center with ellard and judd at the rucks feet have players ready to run onto the ball from out side the square it will do wonder for us as we can
a) use our speed to be first to the ball
b) gather quickly and hand pass to those who where in the center (assuming opposition players chase the ball.)

If we tap it saw to simmo on the wing and he can get there first if even one opposition player leaves his man to chase the ball out the center we can run forward into even more space. We have some of the best rucks in the comp we should use them.

Another thing we need to do more of is realise footy (like all sport) is a game of inches and we need to keep the ball moving forward through contested situations even if its loose and its as simple as a tap to space along the boundary keep the ball moving.

Bigger hit outs is definitely not just something you can do at will (and are generally just a coin toss as to who takes possession)

Yep. Otherwise Sandilands would be doing it every week.

I think they just had their men in front position and going in while we had our men behind them peeling away - consequently there were times when opponents were 10m apart

Yep again. Quite often in the Adelaide game our mids were standing behind their opponents at stoppages. Our guys weren't so much peeling away, more just standing off a metre or so. I honestly have no idea why you would allow this to keep happening. It's not like our guys were smashing Jacobs at the tap.

If we have only 4 in to their 6 they will share the ball and run it through the lines and when we do manage to win despite being outnumbered there is a far greater likelihood we will be under enormous pressure. The answer is to have guys at the stoppages that are not only peelers - who can make numbers when that is required, who can block for a team-mate.

What are the stats on Centre clearances :confused: The square ensures we cannot be outnumbered and crowded out for these bounces. I don't think we are winning there either so I think it is a matter of players out of form and possibly wrong personnel or instructions along with the loss of Warnock, Carrots and now Murph

Just don't reckon it's teams throwing more numbers at any given stoppage, it's just that they're working harder to be in front, being more physical at the contest and are cleaner with their disposal away from the stoppage more often than we are.

Does anyone even know what our gameplan is?

My father sat in on the pre game, game plan with the coaches and some business execs and the game plan isn't any specific... the asumption is that break an indiviuals structures and game plan (different for each team). there was a high priority on defence with an asumption that if you break there structure and defend well attacking will come naturally.
there is also a large emphasis on blocking for each other and "being hard at it" only problem with this is the lads just arent doing it.

Does anyone even know what our gameplan is?

My father sat in on the pre game, game plan with the coaches and some business execs and the game plan isn't any specific... the asumption is that break an indiviuals structures and game plan (different for each team). there was a high priority on defence with an asumption that if you break there structure and defend well attacking will come naturally.
there is also a large emphasis on blocking for each other and "being hard at it" only problem with this is the lads just arent doing it.

Thanks. I'm fine with there being a concentration on areas rather than a strict edict i.e 'you must play on with handball and run run run' type instructions or 'kick it long' or 'use the corridor'. These are elements of a game plan but a game plan should be based around a certain ethic and be a floating plan.

As for the emphasis on blocking, that puts to bed the notion that the coaches do not convey this. Of course they do.

Thanks. I'm fine with there being a concentration on areas rather than a strict edict i.e 'you must play on with handball and run run run' type instructions or 'kick it long' or 'use the corridor'. These are elements of a game plan but a game plan should be based around a certain ethic and be a floating plan.

As for the emphasis on blocking, that puts to bed the notion that the coaches do not convey this. Of course they do.

On thing to say lets block.....but are they in a position to make the players accountable for it...its not like you drag players anymore. They can rotate quickly off, grab the phone then have to run back on.

One thing i've noticed is that we always play a loose man in the backline. Whether its Jamo, Hendo, Gibbs or someone else... we always have someone loose.

On the radio at the weekend they said Carlton conceeded the least amount of inside 50 entries out of all teams but were the worst for conceeding scores once the ball got inside 50. This tells me that the loose man isn't doing anything. Even though the ball doesn't come in that frequently we are still conceeding which means the loose player isn't cutting balls off which means the role is useless.

Why not push this person up the ground to the contest and try man on man in our back line and better use your resource.

On thing to say lets block.....but are they in a position to make the players accountable for it...its not like you drag players anymore. They can rotate quickly off, grab the phone then have to run back on.
You can only give them the message then ram it home behind closed doors. Blocking is one of those things though. You are supposed to look for opportunities to block but if you don't, it is seldom your primary role. We need a player whose specific task is to knock taggers and opposition mids in general off balance in close, rather than just go and get it themselves.

You can only give them the message then ram it home behind closed doors. Blocking is one of those things though. You are supposed to look for opportunities to block but if you don't, it is seldom your primary role. We need a player whose specific task is to knock taggers and opposition mids in general off balance in close, rather than just go and get it themselves.

Collingwood have been masters at illegally blocking players off the play for years. Malthouse did it at the Eagles as well. Cant beat em, join em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back