FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing against Gary Ablett Jr, but I would prefer it if Sheahan and the show concentrated only on interviewing retired (recently or otherwise) players. Unlike current players, retired players have had the chance to take a step back and reflect on their career. This is likely to elicit more considered and interesting responses from the players in question than those from a current player whose career is ongoing and who is likely to be constrained in what he can and chooses to say.

Again, that's nothing against Ablett Jr., who I'm sure would be a fascinating interviewee, but wait until he's finished playing, when the picture is complete and he can be totally open and honest. There are enough retired players out there who would make interesting interview candidates.

Exactly right. Plenty more worthy candidate for Sheahan to interview.
It's similar to reading a biography of a player that is still actively playing. Still so much for Ablett junior to achieve before he's done.

i don't mind it. interviewing current players captures them/their thoughts in a time and place.
the goodes interview was great last year and i still recall how passionately he spoke about his desire to win another flag. due to that ep, i was prob happier to see him win again than I would have been without seeing that interview.

i do agree with the point regarding retired players being more open/less constraints than current players though.

No love for the GAJ interview? Nothing on the Cats board either.
I enjoyed it, seems like a real likeable bloke, not arrogant at all for someone who has achieved so much and with the biggest name in the game. You could tell when he was being diplomatic with his responses though.
Good interview :thumbsu:

I enjoyed the Ablett interview. My only issue with Ablett is, he is close to the classical media robot, when it comes to these things. Answers the questions the right way, like it's been scripted. Thought he handled the interview well though and some interesting insights to his life. Loved the story where his old man left him and Nathan at the aftermatch function and had to be driven home by Leigh Colbert!!

Yep, just watched it then. Great interview as always.

Cue the losers who wish Mike had asked him questions like "how do you kick a football?"...

Enjoyed last nights. I actually dont need to hear about his dad as much, would be get him in for his own open mike, but gazza jnr was a great one. This show should be an hour though.

Doug hawkins will be interesting, though he has the IQ of a boiled egg.

A couple points made earlier that i agree with:

1. Show should go for an hour
2. Retired players ONLY in my opinion - you get a much more honest interview.

I think i might be in the minority here but i thought the Ablett one was one of the worst i have seen yet. It all seemed very contrived to me, he wasn't that honest really. The questions i think we all wanted answers to he either wasn't completely honest with or avoided going into too much detail.
e.g. Personally i'm happy for him to say that he left cos he was stale and wanted a fresh start etc etc, but if he is being honest there is absolutely ZERO chance that they $$$ weren't a big big factor.

really looked forward to the Ablett interview but was left a little disapointed after it. To much uummm and aahhs after mike asking a question made it feel like he might of not been 100% honest and just wanting to say the right answer.

would of liked to hear more onfield stuff as well partically about the 2008 season.

A couple points made earlier that i agree with:

1. Show should go for an hour

2. Retired players ONLY in my opinion - you get a much more honest interview.

1. Only a few times have i wished the interview went longer, i think 30 minutes is about right.

2. Totally agree.

Doesn't Mike show a Extended Cut a few days after some of the interviews? I think there was for Blight and Walls.

My only issue with them is they add bits dispersed throughout the interview, so you have to watch the same stuff twice. Nit picking, I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that there's nothing worse then the telling of a story before its complete, but in retirement I've taken a real liking to Inside the Actors Studio - which is essentially Open Mike but with actors - and they often have actors back after having them say 10 or 12 years earlier. Perhaps players like Goodes and Gablett can do that once their lives, I mean careers, are 'completed'

Oddly enough, I've always viewed Dougy as a clown pretty much ever since his turnip impersonations on the footy show (and that 'Live and Kicking' thing too I guess). Interesting comments about the chance to join Essendon in '83 too. You'd have to wonder, wouldn't you?

great interview with dougy, almost went to the bombers and the port Adelaide maggies.

This is why the show is so great.
I run into Doug from time to time and funnily enough I did yesterday morning although Didnt get a chance to ask him how the interview went,thank God after seeing it last night.
But Mike Sheahan must be trusted immensely because that was pure Hawk last night.Thats exactly how he would be if you sat and spoke to him.
So Glad they touched on the part where Doug is dirty on his public image as its a real sore point and fair enough.
When it comes to footy,Attitude,philosophies and self belief there aren't much better than Doug Hawkins and he could have been a really good coach or assistant at the very least.
He's coaching Bacchus Marsh this year who have been down a long while and I hope he can lift them.

Best interview so far imo.

I'd never seen that footage of when he broke Ted's games record and Ted ran with Dougie for 20 metres exchanging a handpass and flick pass. Was absolutely fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back