Operation KEEP BUCKLEY AWAY FFS thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

TheBuzz

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
AFL Club
North Melbourne
OK, I can't take it any longer. The outpouring of support for Buckley to be our next coach is so ill-considered, I don't know where to begin.

People are talking about him like he's our saviour. 5000 extra members and crap like that - what a crock!

Buckley has a profile because he captained Collingwood. THAT IS ALL. He is at best an average media performer. Just because he throws in some special comments on the telly & has given a few speeches to some AIS players, people have somehow come to the conclusion that he is a ready made coach.:confused:

He has done no apprenticeship in terms of an assistant role, & has seen the inner workings of ONE footy club from his comfy seat in the Lexus Centre.

Sure, there will be increased publicity for whichever team signs Buckley at that point in time & the subsequent couple of games. But after that, for the next 2/5/10 years, does anyone seriously think the media will flock to training each week to hear his next snippet. Coz if you do you'll be dissapointed.

The way forward to get extra media/members/sponsorship, is to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES. That gets you on the back page & on talkback radio - everything flow from there. Buckley is not best placed to achieve this. Many others are ahead of him in terms of coaching training, experience & readiness.

KEEP BUCKLEY AWAY FFS!

I was waiting to read that you will not renew your membership if we sign Buckley.

Believe me, the hype that this has generated over last few days has been enough for me not to renew my membership, even if we don't end up appointing Buckley.

Ah, screw that, Get Buckley

OK, I can't take it any longer. The outpouring of support for Buckley to be our next coach is so ill-considered, I don't know where to begin.

People are talking about him like he's our saviour. 5000 extra members and crap like that - what a crock!

Buckley has a profile because he captained Collingwood. THAT IS ALL. He is at best an average media performer. Just because he throws in some special comments on the telly & has given a few speeches to some AIS players, people have somehow come to the conclusion that he is a ready made coach.:confused:

He has done no apprenticeship in terms of an assistant role, & has seen the inner workings of ONE footy club from his comfy seat in the Lexus Centre.

Sure, there will be increased publicity for whichever team signs Buckley at that point in time & the subsequent couple of games. But after that, for the next 2/5/10 years, does anyone seriously think the media will flock to training each week to hear his next snippet. Coz if you do you'll be dissapointed.

The way forward to get extra media/members/sponsorship, is to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES. That gets you on the back page & on talkback radio - everything flow from there. Buckley is not best placed to achieve this. Many others are ahead of him in terms of coaching training, experience & readiness.

KEEP BUCKLEY AWAY FFS!

Nah, get Buckley.

Please explain why Voss is doing a great job, according to you given the lack of apprenticeship and exposure to just one club he would stink.

Lions skills in the last few years under Matthews, was average.

Lions skills this year are far superior, midfield far superior. He is doing a reasonable job for a hack that hasn't done an apprenticeship. ;)

Please explain why Voss is doing a great job, according to you given the lack of apprenticeship and exposure to just one club he would stink.

Lions skills in the last few years under Matthews, was average.

Lions skills this year are far superior, midfield far superior. He is doing a reasonable job for a hack that hasn't done an apprenticeship. ;)

You make a reasonable point. He's done very well. My answer:

Voss at least coached 1 team.

Voss has (a) tasted success & (b) knows what it takes to get to the top.

Buckley (a) has not & whether he (b) knows what it takes it unknown.

Also Voss has Wayne Brittain in his corner as his #2. Massive factor not to be underestimated.

Also Voss has Wayne Brittain in his corner as his #2. Massive factor not to be underestimated.
Huh? Brittain?

Get Brittain?

lol so because Buckley never had a premiership, this makes Voss a superior coach?

Solid and logical argument :thumbsu:

lol so because Buckley never had a premiership, this makes Voss a superior coach?

Solid and logical argument :thumbsu:

That, and WAYNE BRITTAIN.

You just can't go wrong with a failed coach like WAYNE BRITTAIN in your corner. :thumbsu:

KEEP BUCKLEY AWAY FFS!

tool No.1

Believe me, the hype that this has generated over last few days has been enough for me not to renew my membership, even if we don't end up appointing Buckley

Ah, screw that, Get Buckley
Almost tool No.2

Seriosly Buzz, since you don't like hearing Buck's name mentioned as coach maybe you can enlighten us with your choices and why???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• True statement
Buckley (a) has not & (b) whether he knows what it takes - unknown.
  • Reply No1.:- So Paul Roos after years of failure with Fitzroy and very little success @ Sydney credits all his coaching ability to the Sydney years.( played in lost GF 1996)
  • Reply No2. :-Those years ( as a player)where Buck's hasn't enjoyed Premiership success is the fuel to drive him to succeed, to taste this and experience this type of success as a coach.
  • Reply No3.:- People such as Archer, Laidley, Brayshaw,Eugene all decent knowledgable football people have no idea on the topic and you know better. Sorry bloke wrong.........

Don't know if we should be jumping down the throat of someone who's daring to have a different opinion. I gotta say, I'm as excited about the idea of Buckley as the next person but reading half the stuff posted here you would think that we know for sure that the guy is going to be an incredible coach and we just don't. I'm personally hoping that the interview process will be just as tough for him as any other applicant, I'm sure it will be (well, here's hoping).

Don't know if we should be jumping down the throat of someone who's daring to have a different opinion. I gotta say, I'm as excited about the idea of Buckley as the next person but reading half the stuff posted here you would think that we know for sure that the guy is going to be an incredible coach and we just don't. I'm personally hoping that the interview process will be just as tough for him as any other applicant, I'm sure it will be (well, here's hoping).

Any interview process will be tough for Clayton Buckley.

Got any AFL coaching experience.? Nuh.
Won any AFL premierships?. Nuh.
Got any friends who would want to be an assistant coach?. Nuh.
Just here for the money?. Yea.

I don't post here often, and I'll probably be ostracised for say this, but I agree with the OP. Everyone is comparing Buckley to Voss, and expecting the same. There are a couple of problems with this.
Firstly, it is still early days at Brisbane for Voss. We are only half way through the season. Also, Voss is at a club that has had the Leigh Matthews system in place and that does not get overturned overnight. The philosophies Matthews put in place are most likely still around and want to see how Voss will go when the Matthews influence is no longer felt.
Secondly, people are forgetting all the champion players with little coaching experience that failed. There are far more of them then the success. Try Darrel Baldock, Graham "Polly" Farmer, Royce Hart, Wayne Schimmelbusch, Kevin Bartlett, Malcom Blight (first time), Alex Jesaulenko just to name a few. Logic would say that Buckley is a bad bet at the moment. Wait until he has been involved more in coaching. Guys like Paul Roos and Alastair Clarkson spent years sharpening their craft.
Don't base a decision on a sample of one.

If you want to play Sunday afternoon for the next 5 years get Hinkley and co.
If you want to risk death get the others.
All the available coaches are unproven to a degree.
An extra 50k tv viewers, hype, excitement, respect, longevity, more members, sponsers etc etc let alone being fresh out of the game, a midfielder with excellent footskills and footy brain etc.
But yeah lets get Hinkley. No brainer.

If you want to play Sunday afternoon for the next 5 years get Hinkley and co.
If you want to risk death get the others.
All the available coaches are unproven to a degree.
An extra 50k tv viewers, hype, excitement, respect, longevity, more members, sponsers etc etc let alone being fresh out of the game, a midfielder with excellent footskills and footy brain etc.
But yeah lets get Hinkley. No brainer.

This is true to a point, but if we finished bottom 3 for the first two years, then the hype would die very quickly. The knives would come out quickly from a supporter base that expects competitive results and the media interest would centre on the mistake we made getting an untried coach rather than his upside.

In the end, none of us know for s**t what these guys will be like as head coaches. That is up to a panel to decide. Voss seemed like a definite coach in waiting until he started commentating, at which stage he sounded like a dim man with some of his 'insights', but now it looks like he will be good.

The advantage Hinkley and Longmire have is that we know they have been part fo a successful coaching panel. They know what works and have been involved in the planning. And the culture at both their clubs is great. They are less of a risk.

But Buckley's upside is enormous. If he came in and was successful, he could change the direction of the club more than anyone in our history has given where we are right now and the potential our admin has equipped us with. He could have a Carey like impact, but this time we have the team to take advantage. His tory is so sellable.

Given his playing credentials, his obvious intelligence, and the enormous upside, he is probably worth the risk despite his lack of experience. But onfield results determine everything after the first couple of years - and if they are bad, the same people who have constantly harped on about laidley and threatened to not renew their memberships, will be doing it again against Buckley.

KEEP BUCKLEY AWAY FFS!

I don't necessarily agree but I can see your point. The argument for or against Buckley isn't clear cut. I just hope the board don't get bedazzled by the hype surrounding Buckley and go about the next couple of months with minds open and blinkers off.

Just out of a matter interest, who do you want to coach us in 2010?

I am sick to death of hearing for two seasons now that you can't coach if you don't have experience. Mostly citing Tim Watson as an example. Now there everyone is pointing to Michael Voss and saying maybe you can.

The fact is, there are guys who can coach and there are guys who can't. Experience doesn't matter a great deal. These guys either have what it takes or they don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back