Opinion Optimistic or pessimistic 2021

Where do we finish in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After today I'm feeling pessimistic about this season, but optimistic about the future. IMO if we can achieve the following this year it'll be a fantastic result.

Wins: 7
Losses over 48 points: 4 or less

15+ games out of Jones
15+ games out of Cox
15+ games out of Perkins
Caldwell and Draper to play every game if fit

Would love to see a few of Ham, Guelfi, Parish, Francis, Redman, BZT, Cahill take the next step in their development. If we could get a debut for Hird, Johnson, Brand, Bryan, Reid or Eyre would be great too.

I'm hoping to see by the end of the season a cohesive and consistent brand of football that focuses on contested possession, team oriented defence and an offence not based on bombing it to the shortest guy on the field.

I would also love McGrath to be made captain for next year as I believe he's ready along with Ridley to begin the transition to the next generation.

Optimistic that we're heading in the right direction. We have some good youngsters.

Pessimistic in that we'll be bottom 6, but it's actually better for us in the long run. Use our first round + Merrett picks if he leaves to pick up mids in a strong draft.

play the kids and adjust expectations accordingly.
No play the blokes who want to play the game plan and not do things their own way. Do not care if it is kids or senior players. We need to build the on field culture and just playing kids for development will not do that.

No play the blokes who want to play the game plan and not do things their own way. Do not care if it is kids or senior players. We need to build the on field culture and just playing kids for development will not do that.

Its good in theory but in reality it's always been very hard to square the performances of the senior players with what we'd expect are team rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic, we'll probably keep playing the older player, even if they're injured or out of form.

I'm optimistic.

Optimistic we'll get a good draft pick.
Optimistic we'll win a few games.
Optimistic that Draper will show us he's a gun.
Optimistic that we'll see plenty of debutants this year, and we'll find at least a few with plenty of potential.

Very optimistic.

coming off a mediocre year with a stale feeling about it, a growing reliance on relatively unknown youth and basically no expectations - 1993 anyone???

Mercuri, Hird, Misiti and co could play a bit. Just sayin'.

I’m a little yin and yang

Pessimistic;-

Hurley, Ambrose, Zakka, Mosquito, Clarke, Redman & Stringer all injured and missed big chunks of pre-season...McGrath and now Jones slight niggles/concerns also

Lost some guns - Saad, Daniher, Fanta

Haven’t won a final for 17 years...

Unproven coach

There’s 6 or 8 teams that just look so much better than us on paper

Optimistic;-

Love our young recruits

Still plenty of X factor with guys like Tippa, Draper, Ridley, Merrett, McGrath and Stringer

We can only get better and we are one year closer to winning a final!

Ahead of at least 2 teams (North, Adelaide) and probably on a par with 2 others (Hawks/Swans?) so spoon unlikely...

Waterman (new saviour!)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I found a highlights video of our 2000 season on YouTube yesterday. In addition to being extremely enjoyable, I was also stunned by the extreme confidence, arrogance and meanness that team played with. What a contrast with recent years, and can we please have that back again soon

My expectations re ladder position/wins and losses are lower than shark s**t.

Would love to see our youngsters show promise and Mcgrath and Ridley to make the AA team. Hopefully we strung a few wins together in the 2nd half of the year on the back of our younger players.

Be great to see 2MP kick 35 goals too.

Brasher’s optimistic:

Brasher: “I don’t think it’s a rebuild at all” 🤔

Another article from the same writer earlier on the same day 😂:

I wouldn't think that this is an optimistic view of the team because I think we will be in the bottom 4 again. Although I don't think we have really lost too much from previous years, where we were underperforming (the list looked good on paper) and we were ready to 'start' making a climb back into the 8.
Daniher; Jones looks like a suitable replacement. As he develops in his role he will be taking less marks, but that can be mitigated by the much better set shots. The overall output is not much different (unless you compare to peak Daniher that we rarely saw).
Stewart/McKernan; The forward combination of Hooker and 2MP I would think we haven't lost a lot here. If only for the better ruck craft of 2MP. Both less mobile, but more likely to clunk a few.
Saad & McKenna; Their role was run through the middle. Hind and Caldwell and other midfielders following the new handball forward gameplan are doing a good job of generating run. The new standing the mark rule has helped a bit here, as you don't need to be lightning to get the ball moving forward. A loss here, but not a complete disaster.
Fantasia: Smith returning to his tacking cocky self. Selfish yes, but I'll wear that for a bit of team lifting arrogance from time to time.
Bellchambers: Draper.
Myers & Goddard; Ridley as intercept marker. Caldwell in the midfield. Cox on the wing.
Hooker (back): Stewart looks capable of marking a few and is more mobile. Although also not as defender wise as Hooker. Again, not a complete disaster.

Moral of the story. We will be near the bottom of the ladder this year but won't need to be licking spoons (like Carlton) for many years before things turn around.

Last night was the optimistic I was hoping to see. Players buying into the team defense. If we can produce that even 70% of the time we will be better than a bottom 6 side but as they say seeing is believing and I have been waiting 18 years to see if we can actually play some sort of team defense on a regular basis so whilst very happy I need to see it over more games before I go out on a ledge.
tenor.gif

been here too many times.

Back