Opinion Our biggest problem.. Complacency

Remove this Banner Ad

Complacency: "self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies"

Depressed after watching (and predicting) last weeks defeat against the Tigers, and thinking about Vossies' spray at 3/4 time the week before, I've been trying to find the right word for our biggest problem. And I think it's complacency.

We get a few goals ahead and think we've done enough, and ease off.
We start so slow and sloppy we give up an early 4-5 goal lead imagining we can easily make it up later.
We kick a bag in the 2nd and have to hang on in the last.
3 quarters of footy per game isn't enough.

Because we're complacent.

We think we're good enough, so we expect that whatever level of effort we put in will be enough. And it ain't.
I seriously doubt whether we'll make finals this year, with much of our defence on the sidelines and a tough draw ahead I think we'll be lucky to win four more games. And it isn't lack of skill, or talent, or plan, or even execution. It's complacency. Overestimating our efforts, and underestimating our opponents, when the teams below us are gearing up for a big surge to September. Tell me I'm wrong, or how we fix this.

Thoughts anyone?
I'm not convinced it's complacency, I think it's just immaturity and still learning to play proper footy. Old habits die hard and playing 2-3 qtrs of what Voss is trying to instil isn't a bad result this early on.

I think we all bemoan how we get ahead and completely fall off the face of the earth seemingly. But I don't put that down to complacency but rather not knowing how to play with a lead combined with a little bit of a lack of killer instinct. It was noticeable vs Richmond they were tackling/hitting to make an impact whereas we were still just tackling without anything extra.

Hopefully that killer instinct will come, it's been said for years that we are too nice of a team. I can't wait for us to put the foot on the throat of teams. I'm not sure if that comes with a little bit more of a turnover of the list (Voss keeps saying our list is a work in progress so changes will come) or if the players can develop that but either way I think that is the problem moreso than complacency.

Also the crippling injury list. That hurts - literally and figuratively.

Nah. Although how good is it that we are now good enough to be considered complacent?

Injuries have hurt but we were inconsistent in games long before some of these injuries.

It's not a solution I can see coming this season but our inability to play 4 quarters concerns me.

Again, not recently. I get it, we're undermanned. But there's been games where we've looked a million dollars and then just stop.

No, our biggest problem is a lack of Weitering.

Have him in and we would've beaten the Pies and Tigers, making us outright 1st.
It's crazy and I truly believe this also. It's a game of fine margins. Weitering plays full game against the Pies, we definitely win.

Weitering plays Tigers, Lynch kicks one if he is lucky.

It is not so much what he does, but the leadership he brings in that backline. That flows through the rest of the lines imo.

Thanks to those vehemently opposed to the 'complacency' idea. I really hope you are right. I must admit I've been in shock for the first half of this season at the brilliant pressure football we're playing. It's a joy to see the high level skills of Fisher (for example) actually become useful in a side where his bullet passes from half-back to half-forward actually fit into something larger.

The Carlton af a year or 2 ago would have been complacent after 2 wins. How complacency was even justified, I have no idea.
Voss seems to be doing his best to smack that idea out of them, along with some other bad habits. He's achieved a lot in a short time, but there's still work to do.

No, our biggest problem is a lack of Weitering.

Have him in and we would've beaten the Pies and Tigers, making us outright 1st.
I also reckon if we had Pitto for GC and didn't lose Cripps early, we'd have beaten them.

And bugger it! You could say the same for the Freo game. Without SOS and Kennedy. Lost Pitto early. Had to use Young, Setters, Harry and Cripps to give TDK a chop out in the ruck.
We'd be undefeated if it wasn't for injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back