Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Have been thinking about our chances in 2019 a lot. Most punters see us way down the bottom again; hard to argue with that really when you consider we only managed 4 wins last year.

If we are going to improve, the change needs to come from our younger brigade. Here are the players I think are key to our 2019:

1. Luke Dunstan. He's not exactly a fan favourite I know, but I think Luke is crucial to us getting better. At his best, he is a really damaging inside and outside midfield bull who wins his own ball. The problem he has had has been CONSISTENCY. I've been keeping an eye on him and he seems fitter this season. I think he may surprise quite a few by well and truly cementing himself in the side this year.

2. Blake Acres. Had a cruel run with injury last year, but seems fit as a fiddle at the moment. When at his best he's a bull and can play anywhere. If he can get his body right then he will make us a much better side.

3. Daniel McKenzie. Halfway through last year he was probably on the chopping block, but he had some really good games in the second half of the season. I think he could develop into a player like Sean Dempster, he's a great mark, incredibly fit and super competitive player.

4. Brandon White. It just hasn't seemed to click yet for Brandon. He has had the odd excellent game, but consistency has not been there. Has he improved his fitness this year? I hope so, because at his best he's a damn good player.

5. Josh Battle. Coming into his third season, the guy just screams good AFL player. Sounds like he is incredibly fit at the moment, it will be interesting to see where we play him as there's a feeling that he could play anywhere. I think he can take the next step this year.

6. Ed Phillips. Managed 7 games last year in his second season, averaging over 20 possessions a game. He seems determined and mature - I think we could have a 30 possession per game player on our hands here and we might see that this season.

7. Paddy McCartin. Hasn't managed as many games as we'd have liked due to injuries, this has held him back from finding consistency. I don't think he's ever been really fit either but seems to be on the right track this year. To be honest I drool at the prospect of what he could do if he played 22 games in a row.

Honorable mentions to Jack Sinclair and Jack Billings; both have already shown that they are very good players and hopefully both regain form next year.

I think the particularly interesting trio is Dunstan, Acres and Phillips. If by some miracle all 3 became midfield guns this year then suddenly we look like such a better side. Can't wait to see how things pan out for all of these 7 players in 2019.

I deliberately left out the 2nd year players. If the likes of Clark and Coff really step up this year then that's a bonus - still hoping though!

Anyone you think I've missed? Who do you think holds the key to our 2019?

Have been thinking about our chances in 2019 a lot. Most punters see us way down the bottom again; hard to argue with that really when you consider we only managed 4 wins last year.

If we are going to improve, the change needs to come from our younger brigade. Here are the players I think are key to our 2019:

1. Luke Dunstan. He's not exactly a fan favourite I know, but I think Luke is crucial to us getting better. At his best, he is a really damaging inside and outside midfield bull who wins his own ball. The problem he has had has been CONSISTENCY. I've been keeping an eye on him and he seems fitter this season. I think he may surprise quite a few by well and truly cementing himself in the side this year.

2. Blake Acres. Had a cruel run with injury last year, but seems fit as a fiddle at the moment. When at his best he's a bull and can play anywhere. If he can get his body right then he will make us a much better side.

3. Daniel McKenzie. Halfway through last year he was probably on the chopping block, but he had some really good games in the second half of the season. I think he could develop into a player like Sean Dempster, he's a great mark, incredibly fit and super competitive player.

4. Brandon White. It just hasn't seemed to click yet for Brandon. He has had the odd excellent game, but consistency has not been there. Has he improved his fitness this year? I hope so, because at his best he's a damn good player.

5. Josh Battle. Coming into his third season, the guy just screams good AFL player. Sounds like he is incredibly fit at the moment, it will be interesting to see where we play him as there's a feeling that he could play anywhere. I think he can take the next step this year.

6. Ed Phillips. Managed 7 games last year in his second season, averaging over 20 possessions a game. He seems determined and mature - I think we could have a 30 possession per game player on our hands here and we might see that this season.

7. Paddy McCartin. Hasn't managed as many games as we'd have liked due to injuries, this has held him back from finding consistency. I don't think he's ever been really fit either but seems to be on the right track this year. To be honest I drool at the prospect of what he could do if he played 22 games in a row.

Honorable mentions to Jack Sinclair and Jack Billings; both have already shown that they are very good players and hopefully both regain form next year.

I think the particularly interesting trio is Dunstan, Acres and Phillips. If by some miracle all 3 became midfield guns this year then suddenly we look like such a better side. Can't wait to see how things pan out for all of these 7 players in 2019.

I deliberately left out the 2nd year players. If the likes of Clark and Coff really step up this year then that's a bonus - still hoping though!

Anyone you think I've missed? Who do you think holds the key to our 2019?
Think you’ve nailed it.

First things first, we need first use of the ball. That means a lift from our midfield brigade, more taps to advantage our way, less taps to advantage the other way and a less Young Steven dependent midfield. So I'd be looking for Longer/Pierce to cement himself with support from Marshall, possibly King (down the track of course). After a ruckman, whoever he may be, I'd agree we need lift from Dunstan and Acres. Hanneberry, Ross and Sinclair need to recapture their best, Steele needs to keep progressing.

Nathan Brown turned 30 last year, so we need a successor. If Austin doesn't push Brown to keep his spot, Clavarino needs to do it to both.

And we need firepower up forward because you need to score more than the other bastards to win. King coming in and the signs Battle has shown means it's pretty much make or break time for Paddy and Bruce.

So I'd probably put it:

Need to improve
1. Longer/Pierce
2. Dunstan
3. Acres
4. Paddy
5. Austin

Need to keep improving
1. Steele
2. Gresham
3. Long
4. White

Need to recapture their best
1. Bruce
2. Hanneberry
3. Sinclair
4. Billings

We get half or more doing that, we're going to have a very good year. We don't, we're stuffed.

This is a good question actually. I’ve seen a lot of “we missed Bruce and Roberton last year” which may be true but we can’t forget that both were playing when we looked at our absolute worst last year. I put those guys into the you pretty much know what you’re going to get category anyway with Steven, Ross, Carlisle etc. Even someone like Gresham you can be confident about now.

IMO the biggest difference makers need to be:

Steele - someone desperately needs to join Steven and Ross as midfield guns and going by past production he seems most likely to do it.

Billings - needs to get back to 2017 form.

Sinclair - his 2017+18 averages were pretty similar but the gap between his best at worst games was enormous. Too many games where he’d have 15p and a goal at half time then come nowhere near matching that in the second half.

Long - might seem like a strange one but he does things that nobody else on our team can do and was right up there in the BnF before his injury.

Paddy - if you were going by past production you’d say he’s no chance but if he can show why we took him #1 it would help a lot.

Steele - someone desperately needs to join Steven and Ross as midfield guns and going by past production he seems most likely to do it.
Ross needs to join Steven and Ross as midfield guns.

for me getting Bruce back up and firing is a huge thing ... if he is looking dangerous in the forward line and kicking goals that changes the entire mindset of the team i dont have the stats infront of me but i cant remember a single game where Bruce has been held non-effective and we have looked strong and on the flipside i dont remember a game where Bruce has been hitting the scoreboard where we looked totally out of the game ..

Newnes is another he had a shocker of a year after been one of our more reliable youge guys in previous hopefully he can get back that mojo..

Roberton, by having him back at his best it means Gears can go back to what he does best in defending not having to create play from the back line ..

Steele and Ross are pretty much auto selections now days so they need to continue this into not just being consistant but become damaging players

Long - he just brings something that is a pure pleasure to watch ... i was not in his corner the year he got drafted but not im a HUGE fan

The new boys hold the key, Lewdogs. I know we need to expect improvement from the incumbents if we are to progress, but it's the mature agers who could give us a boost. Parker (my favourite), Wilkie, Young, and Hind have to have an impact along with Hanners and Kent. If three of those fire up, we're in for a good year. King would be handy, but I reckon he'll be like Roo. a slower burn due to a knee injury.

The new boys hold the key, Lewdogs. I know we need to expect improvement from the incumbents if we are to progress, but it's the mature agers who could give us a boost. Parker (my favourite), Wilkie, Young, and Hind have to have an impact along with Hanners and Kent. If three of those fire up, we're in for a good year. King would be handy, but I reckon he'll be like Roo. a slower burn due to a knee injury.
The newbies are the really interesting factor. I think it would be wishful thinking to think too many of them will go very well (apart from Hannebery) but all four of the mature recruits picked up through the draft seem to have something. If even half of them become best 22 then we will get better. Can't wait to see how they go this season - Parker especially.

I believe our fortunes for 2019 will be influenced by how well we compete in the ruck. We know what Longer will probably bring and that is being competitive in the ruck contests, but not all that strong around the ground. I think we can also suggest that Marshall will probably provide good support in the ruck contests but it's difficult to see him being our number one ruck.
This leaves Pierce, the question mark about him being that for a number of years now, he has been a "development" player. If Pierce can become a regular for us in the ruck and compete effectively, I think we will be heading up the ladder.

The newbies are the really interesting factor. I think it would be wishful thinking to think too many of them will go very well (apart from Hannebery) but all four of the mature recruits picked up through the draft seem to have something. If even half of them become best 22 then we will get better. Can't wait to see how they go this season - Parker especially.
the newbies certainly bring pace to the team its to be seen if they are best 22 players but by bringing pace into the club i think it will improve our game in a big way ...
the way i look at it even if the new mature agers dont make it in the best 22, in the training our best 22 will be compeating against guys who have something we havent had and something we have often struggled to counter act at the worst end of the scale these fleet footed fellas will push the speed and intensity up in training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes - We need him to recapture his form from a few years back. At his best is a very handy player who can fill a number of roles on either flank or the wing.

Billings - Goes without saying that he is one of our most talented players. I personally think he should be spending roughly a 50/50 split between the midfield and up forward. Maybe some time off a HBF where we could use his field kicking skills?

Acres - At his best is a very difficult matchup. If he can stay fit and develop consistency he would be a beast. I think he needs to be given a run to cement himself.

Marshall - Interesting one, but I think he is a crucial part of our 22 going forward. Obviously he provides a nice marking option up forward, and is a good set shot on goal (unlike most of our players), but more importantly the ability to relieve Longer in the ruck will see him in our 22 IMO.

Coffield & Clark - I've lumped them together, but I hope to see nice improvement from our 2 first round picks in 2017 and see them earn a spot in the 22 on merit.

There are probably half a dozen plus playing for their careers this year. Dunstan, Paddy, Lonie, Acres, Savage, Newnes, Phillips, Sinclair, Pierce and White all need to show more or risk being delisted or traded. The midfield looks average but we have multiple players in most other roles now.

There are probably half a dozen plus playing for their careers this year. Dunstan, Paddy, Lonie, Acres, Savage, Newnes, Phillips, Sinclair, Pierce and White all need to show more or risk being delisted or traded. The midfield looks average but we have multiple players in most other roles now.
I dont believe there is a single player on the list that is not 2 to 3 bad games away from being dropped!
One of the pitfalls of not having any real stars!

Good news is i think we have plenty of potential stars bursting to break out, and with a list that has genuine depth now
In most positions, competition should be very hot as to who gets the nod! More competition...More standard goes up!
I'd be extremely disapointed if we are not seeing 40 desperate footballers right across the list with plenty to prove and it all to lose!
Which should translate itself into an extremely committed StKilda in 2019!

Surely Longer is on the chopping block well before Pierce.

Longer is our first choice ruck, Pierce is only a handful of games and been in the system about them same amount of time.

That's the point. Longer gives nothing around the ground. Had plenty of exposure to the game. Doesn't get his hands on the ball often enough and when he does needs a player to run past so he can handball off. Too predictable. I don't see him improving. Play Pierce. Maybe with games he could develop? But Longer is a dead end.

That's the point. Longer gives nothing around the ground. Had plenty of exposure to the game. Doesn't get his hands on the ball often enough and when he does needs a player to run past so he can handball off. Too predictable. I don't see him improving. Play Pierce. Maybe with games he could develop? But Longer is a dead end.

Still think we play him first regardless.

Neither would be on the block for a long time.. We have two real options and need the back-up for both form and injury.
Marshall has a way to go before he can ruck full time ( if ever ) and the kids are just that.

We made our decision and let Hickey go. Unless we trade for one later, we're stuck with these two.

Neither would be on the block for a long time.. We have two real options and need the back-up for both form and injury.
Marshall has a way to go before he can ruck full time ( if ever ) and the kids are just that.

We made our decision and let Hickey go. Unless we trade for one later, we're stuck with these two.

Longer was looking very lean and fit at training. Hopefully he will be a lot more mobile around the ground. For better or worse he’s our #1 ruck so let’s hope this is the year he really shows something. I’m still optimistic.

Longer was looking very lean and fit at training. Hopefully he will be a lot more mobile around the ground. For better or worse he’s our #1 ruck so let’s hope this is the year he really shows something. I’m still optimistic.
This is his 7th pre-season. I would certainly hope he's fit by now.

I think Billy is; you see what you get. Very good tap ruck-man who isn't great around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back