TwisTz

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal, OKC
Back in 2011 at the peak of our powers we had Leon Davis taking our kick-ins with creative freedom and hitting up targets (think he was going at a record rate at one point from memory)... fast forward to last week (and most of last year) where our kick-in strategy is basically having a player (Dunn or Moore) kick the ball as hard as they can towards the boundary side of the 50 metre arc where a ruckman is standing.

Coin toss as to whether we go left or right...

This seems to come to fruition like 1 in 5 times (at best) and we can't turn a situation where we have the ball into an offensive attack.

I thought we had turned it around awhile ago when Howe was taking the kick-ins and actually lowering his eyes and looking for short options. Hopefully in time we can have someone like Murray taking the kick-ins and actually taking the game on.

I just feel in the short-term we are going to be majorly hampered by this strategy (if you can even call it that).

Thoughts? :(

Back in 2011 at the peak of our powers we had Leon Davis taking our kick-ins with creative freedom and hitting up targets (think he was going at a record rate at one point from memory)... fast forward to last week (and most of last year) where our kick-in strategy is basically having a player (Dunn or Moore) kick the ball as hard as they can towards the boundary side of the 50 metre arc where a ruckman is standing.

This seems to come to fruition like 1 in 5 times (at best) and we can't turn a situation where we have the ball into an offensive attack.

I thought we had turned it around awhile ago when Howe was taking the kick-ins and actually lowering his eyes and looking for short options. Hopefully in time we can have someone like Murray taking the kick-ins and actually taking the game on.

I just feel in the short-term we are going to be majorly hampered by this strategy (if you can even call it that).

Murray kick in to himself and take on the man on the mark, have a designated player or 2 to shepherd, 20m run and launch up past the wing..

To be honest with our foot skills i dont think i want us taking on a short kick on kick ins, likely to be turned over and straight back over our head.

I agree though long and wide is a nothing option and is predictable, i would actually like to see us roll the dice and go long up the middle at times.

Howe to kick-in and give it massive hang time.

Sprint and 'mark' his own footy.

Land on his feet and repeat the effort until he is within range of goal.

Ignore trampoline hands and butchers along the way.

With that strategy it's as if you want Collingwood to maintain possession and to transfer the ball from our defensive end to the forward line. That can't be right?

It feels like a century since we had Leon doing that. These days I find it hard to even watch our kick ins, as they are nearly all potential disasters.

Accepting that we don’t have a player of Leon’s ilk, or anywhere near it, I thought Dunn was serviceable last year. I expect the same this year, but it’s not very creative. We need to set up better and quicker. I assume we practice these set plays. Just get on with it! Never looks good when the defender with ball in hand is wandering around and across the goal square, looking for options to kick to down field, the umpire runs out of patience and blows the whistle, the opposition forwards rush in, and you know what happens next...

It feels like a century since we had Leon doing that. These days I find it hard to even watch our kick ins, as they are nearly all potential disasters.

Accepting that we don’t have a player of Leon’s ilk, or anywhere near it, I thought Dunn was serviceable last year. I expect the same this year, but it’s not very creative. We need to set up better and quicker. I assume we practice these set plays. Just get on with it! Never looks good when the defender with ball in hand is wandering around and across the goal square, looking for options to kick to down field, the umpire runs out of patience and blows the whistle, the opposition forwards rush in, and you know what happens next...

All over the field, when we have the ball, players seem to just get into a position and stand there stationary. The concept of presenting on a lead seems to be beyond us.

If we are to kick long in the direction of talls or a ruckman, can they at least be our own?
Part of the problem with a tall taking the kick in is there’s one less in the contest.

I don't think the issue is with our kicking it is that we are completely stagnant all over the ground.

Our players don't lead to logical positions during kick ins and then if by some chance we win the ball we don't run hard into offensive positions.

We're by far the worst team in the comp. at transition and running into sensible positions to provide an option.

Even elite kicks like Leon find it difficult (see 2011 GF when the Cats applied extra pressure and closed down space). Our skills issue is more about confidence and having to go for low probability kicks all the time IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Title says kick in strategy
First of all - good joke, we don’t have one

We should always play on from the point, at least we would move it 20 metres further and a few seconds less before the opp scores!

The other strategy is kick it long to talls, get them to knock it on ruck style behind them and set up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Op but why are we having this discussion.
Big picture.
You have to have a game strategy before you can start honing in on things like kick in strategy.
I wish I could worry about important yet small parts of an overall plan.
I just want to see a game strategy.
That would be a nice start.

I don't mind it as a kick in strategy. It gets it up field and theoretically plays into our strength of contested ball at ground level. It's conservative but I think it is a good tactic especially when there is momentum against us.

My concern is that there needs to be some variety in there or it is too predictable. It may pay to mix it up with some shorter field options too. Dunn is a really reliable short kick also and I think he is the man for the task.

To me the issue wasn't the tactic rather the lack of variety in round 1. It'll be interesting to watch today.

I think we were far better at kick ins last year with Dunns penetration. The issue in round 1 wasn't the use of thst long option as a kick in strategy; as much as it was us getting beat up in the air and at ground level. No kick in strategy will prosper when that happens.

The other factor was the lack of variety in the kick in options that we used. Which is that broader strategy but it was only one, really ordinary, game. So hopefully we see more variety like we did last year.

All over the field, when we have the ball, players seem to just get into a position and stand there stationary. The concept of presenting on a lead seems to be beyond us.
If they went around running on leads they would quickly find themselves out of their designated structural position which would be an absolute disaster because it's all about positional structure and that is what they need to focus on... Not some silly ball winning attempt.

I'm glad someone highlighted this because this was one aspect to our game that Hawthorn took apart, not only our kick ins but any long ball that went to Cox last week. Typically big men are hard to beat overhead so I wouldn't usually have a problem with our decisions to go to Cox but when that player has an inability to mark the ball(wet conditions don't help either - another foresight buckley missed), all you realistically achieve is metres gained from the kick and lose possession which means we have to contest it again...... but thats another can of worms.

Anyway, after watching a replay of the game I noticed that Hawks were very good at exploiting Cox's inexperience, specifically his lack of ball reading in the air. It became a trend that McEvoy (Cox's direct opponent) would continuously work Cox under the ball (and himself) and Sicily would come in to take the uncontested mark behind them as the third man. So with that said it should have been clear from at least half time that we should have stopped kicking it towards Cox, and even if Cox was key to our offensive chain you need to be able to adapt and change structures. In this case if Sicily is floating with the rucks then it is probably a better play to use Cox as a bait and kick it to the other side to someone who can win 1 on 1s like Reid, Moore or even WHE. Admittedly hindsight is 20/20 and whilst what I'm saying sounds logical it still may not have even mattered in the end but I'm pretty firm to criticise Buckley because I am not impressed at his game day coaching at all.

It hurts to see other teams having the prep and planning to implement player specific strategy when Collingwood are still trying to figure out how to play football but I suppose you must give credit to where credit is due to a coach who has had great success.

You saw well coached outfits in round 1 with set plays - playing on and faking a run one way, with a teammate ready to shepherd when they then changed direction. It opened up the play and was very smart.

Ah, the glory days of Leon Davis....

This is true. We're a very static side and it kills us.

Ah, the glory days of Leon Davis....

I'm getting the sarcasm in this post, but when Leon went to defence his output was awesome. I haven't seen a better kick in taker ever. His ball retention was unreal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back