Our list, now and then

Has Gary Ayres left our list in better shape than he found it in?

• Yes

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Re: Our list, now and then

Originally posted by macca23
Although I voted yes, it would have been in even better shape if he'd left at the end of 2002.
True

I think he has left it better than he found it but its not much better. If he had left in 2002 we wouldn't be where we are now;)

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Hate to be technical but I did say in better shape. If its not better than when he took over then the answer to the question would be no:p

Yeah but it's neither here nor there IMO...

He inherited a load of gun players nearing peak age, the majority are still there - and with the clear exception of Ricciuto - most are fading.

We're yet to replace Bickley or Kane Johnson - which was the biggest mistake of his entire tenure listwise (yes yes he wasn't solely to blame for the Carey trade we know, we know.)

Youngsters like McGregor and Stenglein who he inherited from Blight have improved to become consistent and regular contributors.

I'd say that because our best players have aged and not enough peripheral players when he signed on have improved - and thus our potential for improvement is markedly lower than in late 1999 - I'll say no, he has not left our list in a better state when he left than when he found it, leaving us like he left Geelong.

I think its too hard to tell at the moment. In a few years time we will be able to tell with the likes of Reilly, Rutten, Jericho, Watts, Hentschel and Bock.
Hopefully they will all step up to be great players for the AFC, then hopefully we will be able to applaud Ayers for bringing this talent to the club.

Originally posted by tatts00
I think its too hard to tell at the moment. In a few years time we will be able to tell with the likes of Reilly, Rutten, Jericho, Watts, Hentschel and Bock.
Hopefully they will all step up to be great players for the AFC, then hopefully we will be able to applaud Ayers for bringing this talent to the club.

I agree, that is why I voted YES. However, most of those players listed, still have the "potential" tag listed above them. Remember they are still all young, and the 'Ayres Regime' won't be able to be fully judged until at least 3 years time. So, my YES vote was an optimistic vote, based on what I have seen from the youngsters this year.

I voted NO.

Yes, there are some players on the list with potential but where are the young players from 3 or 4 years ago that should be stars now. Only Johncock comes to mind.

I'm not a fan of Sheedy but one thing he has been able to do over the years is to have a steady stream of developing players who are able to play at senior level. This is why Essendon don't miss the finals year in, year out.

Ayres was after a quick fix last year and saying that Carey was the missing link to winning the premiership in 2003 was a big, and very wrong, call. Carey played better footy this year before he was forced to retire and the Crows aren't even going to make the eight let alone win a premiership.

Back