List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

There is now plenty of talent stocked up through our midfield group.
How do we see this group working? Who will jump out and who may drop down the pecking order?
Can we play them altogether and if so, what other roles will some be asked to take up?

#13 Cripps_#1 Walsh_#3 Dow_#5 Setterfield_#6 Petrevski-Seton_#13 Kennedy_#19 Stocker_#27 Fisher

This group has the potential to play up to 10 years together. Do we need more midfielders now, or do we sit on this group and look elsewhere for talent?

I think with the new inclusions its easy to forget what an absolute star Paddy Dow is going to be.
As for adding talent. Its all about new blood year in year out. I don't think the same 22 have ever won the premiership. Natural attrition will play a part and the chances of them all in the same side for ten years is not high but then again its Carlton and top line players rarely leave.

There is now plenty of talent stocked up through our midfield group.
How do we see this group working? Who will jump out and who may drop down the pecking order?
Can we play them altogether and if so, what other roles will some be asked to take up?

#13 Cripps_#1 Walsh_#3 Dow_#5 Setterfield_#6 Petrevski-Seton_#13 Kennedy_#19 Stocker_#27 Fisher

This group has the potential to play up to 10 years together. Do we need more midfielders now, or do we sit on this group and look elsewhere for talent?
Always more. You never know who might suffer horrible injuries, burn out or just not develop. Would love some ‘good tough and honest’ types to compliment the top picks we’ve accrued in the midfield.

That is a really good core of mids now. Moving forward we can look at adding more speculative talent that might require development @ NB's that can join the group down the track. However, for the next 2-3 years it is about this group coming along together :cool:

It's well balanced now with depth for the next decade. Has real potential elite talent as well.

Cripps is the leader and an established star
Kennedy will become his partner in crime and an inside bull
Dow will be elite. Something special and could be the best of the lot. Inside and outside
Walsh is similar to Dow. Another gun who will do a great job each week
Setterfield has it all. Big, inside and outside, great skills and can go forward. Incredible talent
Fisher is quick and an accumulator. Good skills and won't shirk a contest.
O'Brien is the outside run and class. Ability to break the lines is a weapon
Stocker amazingly could be the best mid in the draft. If played Champs could have been Top 5. Inside bull with great foot skills on both sides.
SPS is the class and I would now be happy to see him deliver off HB. Would be a weapon off there.
Curnow is still a leader and can tag or accumulate. Great example to others.
Charlie. The absolute X factor and AFL star. Something special. Looking forward to seeing him have bursts on ball when needed
Murphy. With the Captaincy released and with depth he can now play wing/fwd and be a very very good player and goal kicker
Cuningham. Hard to fit him in but ability is there. Quick and good skills. HB/HF may be his go now
Lang. Will need to step up. More an accumulator
Polson. Very smart accumulator and ball user. Creator but can he fit in there? Future may be forward
Pickett. Could be the absolute icing on the cake. Quick, skilful and a game breaker. If we switches on watch out

They are ALL quality kids with good skills and importantly will push each other to be better. There is a decade of quality there. WOW

Going to be very interesting to see how Bolts uses them and rotates them. Looking forward to seeing Cripps up forward and others carrying the load. They will need to kick goals as well. Defensive work will be just as important. In 2-3 years this group should be dominant

I believe we have assembled this group in just a couple of years. Well done Blues

At the least, I think we can pretty safely say that Docherty will remain primarily a defender.

Secondly, we shouldnt be so reliant on Cripps and Kruezer to rack up the clearances any more. Particularly if we keep Kennedy, Setterfield, Dow and Fisher on the park.

That is a really good core of mids now. Moving forward we can look at adding more speculative talent that might require development @ NB's that can join the group down the track. However, for the next 2-3 years it is about this group coming along together :cool:
I'm not sure about targeting 'speculative' talent. I think the best strategy at all times it to draft the best talent.

SOS has always been prepared to punt on players that may not have as much exposed form. Perhaps that's what you mean. That's how he finds his bargains!

It's no longer about numbers in our midfield, it's about quality. I still expect us to have a bit of a dabble at some of the best AFL midfield talent next year in terms of trades and free agency. You would suspect the Kelly, Taranto or Coniglio could be options if we have a strong season and that would improve our midfield. We want to see good midfielders missing out on selection, we want to see the Northern Blues strong and have players to trade to improve our needs.

It does shift our needs priority a bit though. Perhaps our interest will be more in elite attacking half backs and/or small forwards.

I think we will see some of our midfielders who can play in other positions become change mids. I think Fisher will become a small forward who changes between midfield and forward pocket. All the best sides have one of these. Perhaps Murphy or Ed Curnow will line up in defence or the forward line and change on the ball occasionally.

It's been a long time since we have had our best midfield out there and genuine quality waiting on the bench so rotations should be right up there.

I would expect Stocker and Walsh if they play seniors to start on the bench and play a utility role. Change with whoever is coming off and go on and play where needed. I don't doubt they could play forward, back flank or wing even though their future is probably in the center.

Dow might find himself on more of a wing position or high half forward. SPS and Setterfield probably have some ability to play multiple positions. I would expect Setterfield to be in the side round 1 but not playing huge numbers on the ball so perhaps as a bit more of a utility mid.

I still think that we can raise the quality of our midfield group but those numbers are fine.

Still not sure about out midfield mix, I think we can tend to be a bit big and slow in the midfield but that's something we have to work through. We need to be able to out run sides and apply pressure as well as win contested footy.

We have good midfielders with deficiencies and perhaps they start to miss out a bit if we build that quality. Murphy is getting older and is not a great tackler, Curnow is around 30 and not the greatest kick, Kennedy lacks speed and agility and may not be real clean below his knees, Still question marks over Dow's kicking, Setterfield has been chronically injured for years and is unproven, O'Brien looks really good but is a smaller mid, SPS hasn't quite found his consistency, Walsh and Stocker are brand new. So there are a few challenges and if we add more elite talent to that group it's going to come down to who's weaknesses are more costly. We could still be mediocre in the midfield or players might step up and improve on both their strengths and weaknesses so as much as I expect the best we really don't know what we are going to get until we see some footy.

Our aim still needs to be to build the best midfield in the league and there are some really good midfields out there to take on. At this stage our future and potential look really good but having it all come together is our next step.

Always more. You never know who might suffer horrible injuries, burn out or just not develop. Would love some ‘good tough and honest’ types to compliment the top picks we’ve accrued in the midfield.

Well all I can say is for the first time in a LONG time I can't pick our starting midfield for the first bounce. Which is a nice problem for a change, because this year it was who is left.

It's well balanced now with depth for the next decade. Has real potential elite talent as well.

Dow will be elite. Something special and could be the best of the lot. Inside and outside
Setterfield has it all. Big, inside and outside, great skills and can go forward. Incredible talent
Stocker amazingly could be the best mid in the draft. If played Champs could have been Top 5. Inside bull with great foot skills on both sides.
SPS is the class and I would now be happy to see him deliver off HB. Would be a weapon off there.
Charlie. The absolute X factor and AFL star. Something special. Looking forward to seeing him have bursts on ball when needed
Murphy. With the Captaincy released and with depth he can now play wing/fwd and be a very very good player and goal kicker
Cuningham. Hard to fit him in but ability is there. Quick and good skills. HB/HF may be his go now
Polson. Very smart accumulator and ball user. Creator but can he fit in there? Future may be forward
Pickett. Could be the absolute icing on the cake. Quick, skilful and a game breaker. If we switches on watch out

They are ALL quality kids with good skills and importantly will push each other to be better. There is a decade of quality there. WOW

Going to be very interesting to see how Bolts uses them and rotates them. Looking forward to seeing Cripps up forward and others carrying the load. They will need to kick goals as well. Defensive work will be just as important. In 2-3 years this group should be dominant

I believe we have assembled this group in just a couple of years. Well done Blues
Dow just has it! It's going to be a hell of a ride watching this kid develop over the next few years.

At the least, I think we can pretty safely say that Docherty will remain primarily a defender.

Secondly, we shouldnt be so reliant on Cripps and Kruezer to rack up the clearances any more. Particularly if we keep Kennedy, Setterfield, Dow and Fisher on the park.

Wait to you see Stocker at the clearances ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you lay it all out, we got quite a few midfielders now.
Who are they gonna tag? :D
The best part is we can now match with other teams in the engine room and therefore will have more balls in attack and less balls to defend = stronger team all around the park.
So our most important part now is Kruezer to be fit and TDK to come along quickly to assist

When you lay it all out, we got quite a few midfielders now.
Who are they gonna tag? :D
The best part is we can now match with other teams in the engine room and therefore will have more balls in attack and less balls to defend = stronger team all around the park.
So our most important part now is Kruezer to be fit and TDK to come along quickly to assist

Really need Kruezer & Phillips fit next year. Big part of our line up to have one playing well each week

Centre-square/inside mids (whose talents are best maximised in contested situations and packs): Cripps, Kennedy, Dow, Stocker.

These are the guys who will be absorbing the greatest number of centre bounce attendances.

Balanced mids (equally effective on the outside through run, carry and effective disposals as they are at winning the football): Walsh, Setterfield, Fisher, SPS.

Outside mids/elite runners: O'Brien, Williamson, Cuningham.

Incredible assortment of talent and there is plenty of crossover in terms of the ability to play multiple roles within the midfield.

I want to see Samo's running improve significantly to the point that he is used as a handball receive machine through the middle of the ground. How Hawthorn used Burgoyne as that designated kicker inside 50. The addition of these bigger bodies allows us to release him from contested situations to maximise his elite disposal.

I want to see Samo's running improve significantly to the point that he is used as a handball receive machine through the middle of the ground. How Hawthorn used Burgoyne as that designated kicker inside 50. The addition of these bigger bodies allows us to release him from contested situations to maximise his elite disposal.
This x 100.

Still a long way to go to become competitive, the reliance on Cripps needs to end. There is potential for a few of these players (Walsh, Fisher, Dow, SPS) to become quality, however until they are able to do it consistently, we will struggle.

Depth is still an issue

He ripped Gold Coast to shreds late in the year playing this role, was ******* beautiful to watch.
Yep, agree with this. The thing that has let him down is his endurance. Hopefully he gets an uninterrupted pre-season and Russell can build his tank ASAP - what an absolute star he’ll be if he can do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back