Ovens and King Football League 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

His missus and cousin play at Greta, that could be a draw card. I retract my previous statement about Sam Maddern too. He has signed at milawa. Would be high time Greta recruited someone wouldn't it bunyip?

His missus and cousin play at Greta, that could be a draw card. I retract my previous statement about Sam Maddern too. He has signed at milawa. Would be high time Greta recruited someone wouldn't it bunyip?
Have signed two that I know of, but I won't mention names. I expect more to come though. Leroy attends our club functions with Ainslee so I'd like to think he'll keep us in mind "if" he's thinking elsewhere. The recruiting guys are still going flat out & leaving no stone unturned. Time will tell I suppose.

Fair enough. I think I can guess who those two players are
From what I understand recruiting is heavily focussed on Nicko's contacts in Benalla rather than hitting up the same pool of players in Wang as everyone else. I know we've got a Benalla footy identity on board to scout for players in conjunction with Nicko. Those who have met this guy speak very highly of him. So this sounds promising. Plus our draw isn't the shocker we've had the last two years which will also help.

That would be a massive coup and shock if Jono left the Valley. Is he not happy up there or is it just an approach that you know of Rumour?

I've heard Sam Evan and Jacob Dean from KV might be heading to Benalla?
Any truth here?

Also saw Rumourmill posted about Andrew James to Tarra. Is he 45 years of age or what?

Also hear Tarra two's coach is Darryl Johnstone. Fantastic bloke

Jono said he would never leave.... Still find it of that the moyhu president would bother ringing him in the 1st place

So KV can approach the Moyhu Capt, but Moyhu cant ask the Question to a KV player, a bit hypocritical i would have thought, And i know for a fact Sean Gales was not getting $200 a game, more like a quarter of that

Have heard Milawa have signed young wang magpies player Sam Maddern! Will be a very handy player for them.

Just another wang player Milawa have got from them. Hooper last year now Maddern this year. Not good at keeping their young talent!

Wang have lost Hooper one year and sam maddern the next year. Losing 2 would not indicate they have trouble keeping young talent at the club, IMO. Paying some kids 'overs' is how clubs 'attract' young players out to the bush.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking news, 9 Jan 2014 from Shepparton News

Picola District Football League has left the door open for Swanpool and Tatong to join the league for next season

Picola District Football League president Shane Railton remains open to the possibility of wantaway Ovens and King Football League clubs Swanpool and Tatong joining the league next season.

The two clubs were recommended to undergo a three-way merger with fellow struggling club Goorambat, following an AFL North East Border Commission review into the viability of football in the region.

Swanpool and Tatong rejected the offer and were excluded from this year’s OKFL fixture, ratified at the league’s annual general meeting last month.

However, the two clubs have not been granted permission to negotiate with another league, because the deadline for opening such discussions was July 31.

At that time the review process was still to be completed.

The clubs requested an extension on that time frame at the discretion of AFL Victoria Country football manager Brett Connell, but it was denied ‘‘due to the impact such discussions would have on another league at this time of year (mid-December)’’.

However, Railton said that was not necessarily a concern for the PDFL board.

‘‘If it’s on the grounds of disruption to our league, I would have thought we would have been contacted to find out what sort of distraction it would have,’’ Railton said.

‘‘We have not spoken officially with Tatong-Swanpool and we haven’t heard from AFL Victoria Country in that regard.

‘‘AFL Vic Country certainly has not asked for our input or to my knowledge they are not even aware that we’ve done a fixture or anything like that, because it’s not on our website. It’s been circulated to our clubs, but it certainly hasn’t been publicised anywhere else.

‘‘It’s no real big issue for us, it’s a bit of restructuring of the draw, but at the moment nothing has really gone to print.’’

Railton first opened the door to Swanpool and Tatong two months ago, when he told The News the two clubs were welcome to make a presentation to the PDFL as ‘‘they would fit within what we believe is some form of expansion for our league’’.

While the door remains ajar as far as the PDFL is concerned, Railton said the decision to grant the two parties permission to speak rested with AFL Victoria Country.

‘‘If a club makes an application to us, we’ve got 21 days to give back an answer otherwise they’re accepted, so from our point of view if they get granted (permission to speak to us) we’ve got to consider it,’’ he said.

‘‘We haven’t even seen a presentation from (Tatong and Swanpool), so to predict what we may even come back with is a little bit unfair really.’’

As it stands, Tatong and Swanpool will have no on-field representation this year, despite still being considered part of OKFL, which is a major concern for Tatong president Felicity Munro.

The merge with Goorambat was rejected due to the proposed club being based at Goorambat — a town 60km from Tatong and Swanpool, which are 10km apart — and limited scope for negotiation of terms.

The clubs have appealed to Victorian Sport and Recreation Minister Hugh Delahunty and State Member for Benalla Bill Sykes, but to no avail.

Munro said legal action had been considered, but cost was an issue and the clubs were already looking to field a single team in PDFL’s south-east division.

‘‘This whole process has taken its toll on a lot of volunteers and a lot of people in both communities,’’ Munro said. ‘‘It’s no longer about the clubs, it’s no longer about communities, it’s no longer about families. The actions of AFL North East Border have made it about scoreboard results and about football and people have really lost faith in the whole concept of what it is to be a part of a club, so we’re having to pool our resources and try and draw that focus back into the family-based environment.

‘‘It’s an unfair battle and it’s fighting against scoreboard results, not against communities, so we’re trying to just enter into a league that has a few values that are a bit more in line with what we want.

‘‘We’re not going to go away, we’re going to do what we can to keep these footy communities and country towns alive.’’

Are you saying it is contrary to the collective wishes of the O&K clubs/league or that the O&K clubs/league haven't had a say ?

I doubt that clubs have had a say in it. Clubs have enough to worry in their own backyards than to worry about others. Not sure on the league!

My opinion for what it is worth is that I think it is a decision that was always going to come. Whether that is now or in a few years time.

Scoreboard results aside as I don't think that is a relevant factor. The number of footballers in the area is not enough for the amount of football sides. There isn't many clubs around the region that don't struggle every now and again for numbers in their seconds. But to have between 5 to 10 players having to play two games is not sustainable.

Is the merger that was offered fair? Properly not
Is it sad that towns don't have a football/netball clubs?
Yes

But as in everything in life, things are changing! You either be proactive about things and look for what is the most sustainable outcome for the future, or continue to do things the way it has always been done and get left behind!

bushfootylover you don't get it I am sure it is not just based on the seniors score
you might not have forfited a game . but the league has all your stats so how many time
did half your side play twice . and I am know clubs where willing to still play an official
seconds game regardless of how many player you had so they would still pick up a large percentage
and votes for there players . The league and the rest of the clubs are not willing to stand by and watch your clubs take the rest of the comp down the way it is . you have had 4 year to get it together and you are going backwards .So spent more time getting on with the merger then whinging or fold and have no footy at all

Might as well ask ratpack think he says it all right here!!!

Might as well ask ratpack think he says it all right here!!!
Dont dissagree that a merger had to happen but the one that was on the table with no avenue for negociation was never going to work.
And yes the O&k board and clubs must take responsabilty for the way it has all been handled it is their league they have not even followed their own constitution niether clubs have ever been officially notified that they have breeched any rules or that they are no longer required that said both clubs are merging and trying to get into another league but despite both the O&k board and AFL Nth east boarder stating that they would not stand in their way they have done just that blocking their avenue to officially talk with the Picola League despite that league staing on no less than two occasions that they are open to talks.
I ask you all if and when this happens to your clubs would you like to be treated the same with a blatent dissregard for the rules and regs laid out in the constitution?
If you would like to read a timeline of the facts read the Tatong website

I doubt that clubs have had a say in it. Clubs have enough to worry in their own backyards than to worry about others. Not sure on the league!

My opinion for what it is worth is that I think it is a decision that was always going to come. Whether that is now or in a few years time.

Scoreboard results aside as I don't think that is a relevant factor. The number of footballers in the area is not enough for the amount of football sides. There isn't many clubs around the region that don't struggle every now and again for numbers in their seconds. But to have between 5 to 10 players having to play two games is not sustainable.

Is the merger that was offered fair? Properly not
Is it sad that towns don't have a football/netball clubs?
Yes

But as in everything in life, things are changing! You either be proactive about things and look for what is the most sustainable outcome for the future, or continue to do things the way it has always been done and get left behind!
Why not address why less people are playing football .
Removing the weakest link simply makes someone else the weakest link and puts them into the firing line .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back