PC Path of Exile

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking back now, I really didn't like the fact that money doesn't exist. I found that very hard to get over :oops:

Just downloading an update for this, preparing to give it another whirl. Much changed in the last six months?

Just downloading an update for this, preparing to give it another whirl. Much changed in the last six months?

Hey Mingo... short answer is yes plenty has changed... but there still isn't gold, but to be honest the community has adjusted to using the "Currency Items" you see rough rates here for: "Default" (softcore) and "Hardcore" leagues: http://exilestats.com/ex/

In terms of content, here is a brief summary:

- a number of new skill gems, both "Active Skills" and "Support Skills" (mainly around melee).
- they've added "Races", which are leagues with modifiers on the mobs, with rewards to the top ranked players.
- the "races" are organised into 4 month seasons, with rewards for reaching certain levels, see here: http://www.pathofexile.com/seasons
- they're changed the "desync" slightly (but are still working on an overall better improvements) to prevent HC deaths.
- they've been improving the graphics (more item art and 3D item art now), animations and overall performance.
- added seemless integration to Twitch TV for streamers.
- reworked the chat channels a little.
- added a stack of microtransactions, item/spell effects, pets etc.... and EXTRA GORE which is cool.
- they've reworked the "Ranger" part of the passive tree and made the usual buffs/nerfs to other areas.
- adding on average 3 new unique items a week.
- added 2 new 4 month temporary leagues: Onslaught (HC were mobs have 20% increase cast, attack and move speed)... and Anarchy (softcore, but they've added in random "Rogue Exiles": these are Boss like mobs that can spawn in any area, they use player like skills and microtransactions and are challenging to fight... they drop a crap load of items on death though)... here's one here:

- for the above two 4 month leagues they've added "Challenges" (Achievements) for people to complete... those completing them get rewarded POE tshirts and maybe other physical goods.

Work In Progress
- they're still very actively working towards Open Release (October)... that will include Act 3X (expansion) that will added about 33% more content to Act 3 including the final act boss from the trailer "Dominus". Once released the game is officially "reviewable" etc.
- concurrently they're also working on Act 4 which is scheduled to be released mid-late 2014.

HTH
POE is a game that gets more rewarding as you get more familiar with it... once you start understanding how/why to use the currency items it makes more sense and you realise you don't need gold. :)

Sounds good mate. Looking forward to it. I've been actively looking for something new to get addicted to lol

Man my dude is gone. All the work to get him to level 6 down the drain :( It seems my account was hacked cause I had to get an unlock code when I logged in. Dunno why anyone would wanna hack my account :oops:

Man my dude is gone. All the work to get him to level 6 down the drain :( It seems my account was hacked cause I had to get an unlock code when I logged in. Dunno why anyone would wanna hack my account :oops:

Yeah... they added a lock security feature. You account will be locked when you account is accessed from a different IP. GGG email you an unlock code when this happens. It has been pretty successful in stopping the hackers... but can be annoying if you use dynamic IPs. They also working on adding more options around this so you can sort of set how "strict" it checks the IP (exact match, within your area/state or turn it offer altogether).

UPDATE
Thought I would give another update of the progress being made here with POE.

- Official Release is 6 weeks away... 23rd of October is the most likely date.

- recent updates are really coming ramping up the improvements (mainly graphical, art and performance)... a combination of extra staff on board and push to Release.

- recent optimization improvements saw them reduce their art asset files by 40% resulting in the client file reducing from ~6gb in size down to just under 4gb in size. This helps deliver more stable gameplay too.

- more items are getting their own in game 3D art ... especially unique items.

- you can now transfer the looks of unique 3D art effects to other items (via a MicroTransaction), so if you love the look of a particular item you can transfer it to an item that has better stats.

- new trap skills are on the way in a patch next week.

- Release: will see extra Act 3 content (to fully complete this HUGE act).

- Release: PvP changes.

- Release: Player guilds.

- Release: Steam integration features.

- Release: perhaps a new class (unconfirmed at this point... if it is added it will most likely start in the middle of the Passive Tree and be a total hybrid of STR, DEX and INT).

Now time to book annual leave. :D

I've been playing this on and off for a month now. Tried a crit ranger, a templar tanky build, and an ice witch (which I will soon prepare for a discharge build). It's been a heap of fun, looking forward to the improvements. Beats the s**t out of D3 in its current state.

What is your IGN thrawn?

Official Release THIS WEEK... 24th October (6am Kiwi Time)!!!

Official Announcement: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/536969

Official Release Trailer (using 100% game engine footage... with different camera angles):
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lhwfkl/path-of-exile-release-trailer

Build of the Week Video (with actual game play, explains some linking skills and passive tree building):

In coming days I'll be updating the OP with useful links and details about an AU guild for anyone interested. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just update the OP with a stack of useful links for most aspects to the game.

I downloaded it on STEAM this morning (my 1st Steam title) and it was surprisingly fast... about 15 mins for a new install (with ~20Mbps on Telstra cable). Last time for Open Beta it took me hours to download it from POE native site (maybe because OB had more new players hitting it at once).

I suggest news players to start off in one of the new 4 month leagues: Dominion (softcore) or Nemisis (hardcore). These leagues offer a new clean economy, and challenges, where players will be playing.

Cheers.
IGN: SKC

I might try it out again. Didn't like the way the combat felt the first time around.

Just a few things to note about combat:

1st the BAD... without a doubt desync can be an issue. Especially, for melee skills that are based off single target, desync makes it tricky to connect with a mobs hit box. Experience helps you prevent/work around this: certain mobs/situations cause desync more (ie faster movement, doorways, obstacles etc). Setting up a "AutoHotkey" (Google it) macro to type the command "/oos", which resyncs the client/server helps. But the easiest method is to use mostly AOE skills, which help you connect easier. Overall, though I don't find it that much worse than when playing a Monk in D3 and trying to use single target skills only to suffer RBing.

2nd the improvement... now GGG are getting more resources they're improving the polish of the game more and more including animations etc. It still will never feel like some other casual titles though like D3 or B2.

Ok now the intentional:

FROM PISSANT TO GOD - to start with combat and movement is supposed to feel slow... you're at level 1 in every aspect in terms of gear, skills and experience. As you progress your power grows and so does the speed of the game. Just checkout this insane build based on movement speed (not very good for much else though):

* No this is not on Fast Forward, but is at true gameplay speed... from 4:40m onwards he starts running. :)

The same thing happens with attack/cast speed and ideally players find a balance between speed, offence and defence. In POE you don' start out moving like a GOD from level 1 and simply getting better gear/skills as you level... you start out like a PISSANT in every area and then grow in power to become GOD like.

YOUR ATTACKS CAN MISS - there's this thing called Accuracy and Evasion. All characters and mobs have it... so as a melee player if you neglect your Accuracy you will start to miss more often. Keeping your Accuracy above 90% (so that you miss with 1 in 10 attacks) is a bit of challenge, be negligent and it will slip down to 80% where you will miss even more.

I recommend playing by Steam (for the added Steam specific features)!

In the meantime I will be joining an AUSSIE Guild and I invite others to join. The advantages of guilds are to more easily find party members, access shared gear, can earn guild tags (displayed in front of your name) and to roll like homies through Wraeclast. :p

Alpha Crucis Exiles[ACE] — a Path of Exile Australian Gateway based guild.
Alpha Crucis is the brightest star in the constellation Crux a.k.a. the Southern Cross which is used on a lot of flags encompassing all the nations that would use the gateway.
The focus of the Guild would be:
  • Nemesis (the new hardcore league)
  • Racing events
  • PvP
It seems there will always be a standard based Challenge in the new leagues so Domination would be of secondary focus.
We're also looking into providing help to new PoE players.
Resources for the Guild:
Post here, PM or you can contact the following in game if you wish to join.
Guild Leader IGN: deefa
Myself: SKC

In regards to the combat. I found it was mainly sound effects that I thought was lacking. It didn't seem powerful. Using D3 as an example when you did basic things as a barb like cleave or bash it felt genuinely powerful with corpses exploding and limbs flying around + the sound effects.

In regards to the combat. I found it was mainly sound effects that I thought was lacking. It didn't seem powerful. Using D3 as an example when you did basic things as a barb like cleave or bash it felt genuinely powerful with corpses exploding and limbs flying around + the sound effects.

Fair enough Daz. The reason this happens less in POE is because corpses are actually a resource for certain skills:

- Summoner Base builds use corpses to create zombies or spectres.
- Detonate Dead builds explode corpses to deal AOE damage.

Like the following :)

Other enemies in the game can also use corpses to their advantage, so a lot of skills wont destroy them, but rather leave the corpse... then in some situations you need to use certain skills (like the above examples) to get rid of the corpses before the enemy uses them.

But I realise the above might explain the reasons... but the approaches by both developers will appeal differently to different players. I respect that you preferred D3s more. :thumbsu:

Downloading now anyway. Huge amount of patch notes to skim through. *finished.

I'm playing in the hardcore league*

*for now

kase took the day off by the looks of things (unsurprisingly)

front page of stream too, massive deal for a small indy developer

kase took the day off by the looks of things (unsurprisingly)

Nah mate... at work... QAing a project and waiting for others to fix stuff and run their s**t. Hence more time for posting. If I was home I would be too busy slaying. :)

Taking things pretty slowly. Almost up to Brutus. Should my Angus be Peppered?

ihavenoideawhatimdoingthread_06af9676f192d84f17cf5a5816dc7523.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back