Patrick Dangerfield vs Marcus Bontempelli

Who would you rather have on your list?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

record breaking 35 votes on Brownlow night, MVP award, another All Australian . . . . yep' overrating for sure :$

You'd think he'd been doing that for years the way some are carrying on.

He's still well behind Ablett Jnr and behind Fyfe as current playets

You'd think he'd been doing that for years the way some are carrying on.

He's still well behind Ablett Jnr and behind Fyfe as current playets

Ablett Jnr is an all time great so of course he's behind that bloke.

I'd personally take Fyfe over Dangerfield as his height and aerial prowess is one of a kind but Dangerfield closed the gap after such a dominant year. Needs to replicate it again in order to really even the ledger with Fyfe.

How?

Remembering Dangerfield is the current undisputed #1 player in the game.
This is such a hilarious contradiction. You state that Bont isn't a superstar because he's only done it for one year. But you're quick to label Dangerfield the undisputed #1 player in the game in a year where Fyfe and Ablett were injured.

I'm not interested in getting in a s**t fight with you over this because as it stands Dangerfield is clearly the better player. But I just wanted to point that out to you.

Note to Geelong poster claiming that Dangerfield would be a sensation along the Fevola standard as a key forward.

I agree that Dangerfield is good enough to play any position midfield or forward and be an excellent footballer.

However, if we are to choose between Danger and The Bont and we can only play them as a key forward, there is no contest and the winner is not Dangerfield.

I, like the majority, voted for Bontempelli. The simple reason for me is that he is a better player because if he had 39 possessions in a final his teammates would be walking off the ground as winners. Actually, The Bont would not need that many possessions to have a major and more profound impact on a final than Dangerfield. I know that people will say that Dangerfield won every award last year and was clearly the best player during the home and away season (something that I am not arguing against because he was) but for me that is less relevant than his pretty ordinary displays in the finals.

The Bont was close enough to BOG in every final he played. Stepped up when it really counted.

However, if we are to choose between Danger and The Bont and we can only play them as a key forward, there is no contest and the winner is not Dangerfield.

What's the most Bont has ever kicked in a game so far?
He is not very quick either so if he were to become a permanent forward, he would need to take a lot more contested marks than what he currently does. Pavlich was never the quickest forward but he was one of the premier marks in the game and could beat anyone under 6ft'5. Ben Stratton is widely considered the best medium sized defender at the moment and Dangerfield has him beat on many fronts.

What's the most Bont has ever kicked in a game so far?
He is not very quick either so if he were to become a permanent forward, he would need to take a lot more contested marks than what he currently does. Pavlich was never the quickest forward but he was one of the premier marks in the game and could beat anyone under 6ft'5. Ben Stratton is widely considered the best medium sized defender at the moment and Dangerfield has him beat on many fronts.
The lack of structure for Dangerfield as the key forward is the reason your suggestion is just wrong.

The Bont has an ability for body positioning and he is a very good mark. If you are assessing on the stat sheet, you just don't see what he brings.

As a CHF he would likely a Pavlich type. Currently he already has stints where he is the key forward and he plays it well.

The lack of structure for Dangerfield as the key forward is the reason your suggestion is just wrong.

The Bont has an ability for body positioning and he is a very good mark. If you are assessing on the stat sheet, you just don't see what he brings.

As a CHF he would likely a Pavlich type. Currently he already has stints where he is the key forward and he plays it well.
No point debating with him, if were still in an Adelaides jumper he wouldn't be singing some of the tunes he is singing.

Lol Dangerfield would be a Coleman quality full forward?

Again. Overrating him massively. I guess geelong fans need to take something out of 2016
He played some games at FF for Adelaide , but only in the same vein Roo did. Roo and Danger were put at FF to upset structures and match-ups. They did well but not 70 goal well.

He played some games at FF for Adelaide , but only in the same vein Roo did. Roo and Danger were put at FF to upset structures and match-ups. They did well but not 70 goal well.

Exactly. There's a strong difference between being a dangerous resting forward and a stay at home forward.

Expect this to be shouted down because Dangerfield is perfect though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of structure, what on earth are you on mate?
You crap on about Bontempelli having an ability to out-body opponents up forward but completely ignore what Dangerfield does.

Bontempelli would be like Pavlich would he, lol, and here I am getting canned for suggesting Dangerfield could be a similar proposition to defenders to what Brendan Fevola was :p
Pavlich is one of the greatest players of the modern era who was unstoppable in his prime. He was a contested marking champion of the highest order. Bontempelli has not shown he has the ability to take a pack mark let alone beat defenders one-on-one on a consistent basis.

No point debating with him, if were still in an Adelaides jumper he wouldn't be singing some of the tunes he is singing.

Believe you me, I have always rated Bontempelli and the the Western Bulldogs before you yourself started to believe so spare me the one eyed supporter crap.

I walked into this thread thinking my opinions were not that far fetched but I'm now certain that majority of Bulldogs supporters are completely overrating their young star.
Let's just clear things up. He's a wonderful Simon Black clone with an uncanny ability to work his way through heavy traffic and dispose of the ball perfectly but this talk about him being a superior forward and a superior player to Patrick Dangerfield is hyperbole. Bontempelli cannot jump and he barely gets out of 2nd gear as he has no gears to speak about.
He wouldn't last a whole game up forward as the opposition wouldn't have to worry about their defender getting shown up for a lack of speed so Bont would have to take on the likes of McGovern, Talia, Henderson and co. He'd be back in the midfield in no time at all whereas Dangerfield has the versatility to question whatever the hell you throw at him.

We get it. Bontempelli isn't as good as Dangerfield right now. Nobody is disputing that. But he is also much younger.

Dangerfield isn't some deity or legend of the game you seem to think he is. He's a elite player somewhat hindered by poor disposal playing elite footy at the moment.

However the gap between the two is not nearly as big as what you think it is. And lol again, we've had Bont compared to Simon black and Scott Pendlebury now in an attempt to play him down. At their best Pendlebury and black were better than Dangerfield, not that you'd admit it.

You crap on about Bontempelli having an ability to out-body opponents up forward but completely ignore what Dangerfield does.

Bontempelli would be like Pavlich would he, lol, and here I am getting canned for suggesting Dangerfield could be a similar proposition to defenders to what Brendan Fevola was :p
Pavlich is one of the greatest players of the modern era who was unstoppable in his prime. He was a contested marking champion of the highest order. Bontempelli has not shown he has the ability to take a pack mark let alone beat defenders one-on-one on a consistent basis.

Believe you me, I have always rated Bontempelli and the the Western Bulldogs before you yourself started to believe so spare me the one eyed supporter crap.

I walked into this thread thinking my opinions were not that far fetched but I'm now certain that majority of Bulldogs supporters are completely overrating their young star.
Let's just clear things up. He's a wonderful Simon Black clone with an uncanny ability to work his way through heavy traffic and dispose of the ball perfectly but this talk about him being a superior forward and a superior player to Patrick Dangerfield is hyperbole. Bontempelli cannot jump and he barely gets out of 2nd gear as he has no gears to speak about.
He wouldn't last a whole game up forward as the opposition wouldn't have to worry about their defender getting shown up for a lack of speed so Bont would have to take on the likes of McGovern, Talia, Henderson and co. He'd be back in the midfield in no time at all whereas Dangerfield has the versatility to question whatever the hell you throw at him.

Your post here indicates pure nonsense of the highest order, and to try and sugar coat you idiocy of your downgrading of Bontempelli, you declare you rated the Dogs before Dogs supporters did is proof of this.

Dangerfield still isn't the best player in the league and Bontempelli shows he may one day be the best.
Bont could possibly reach Fyfes level which Dangerfield is still a fair bit off and Bontempelli is still much younger.

I'm not saying the Bont is better than Danger currently as that would be mad to say but as a counter to you to saying that Danger is so much better as a forward here are some stats from 2016 season:

Goals:
Bont: 26
Danger: 24

Goal Assists:
Bont: 20
Danger: 22

Inside 50's:
Bont: 112
Danger: 194

Contested Marks:
Bont: 13
Danger: 29

Marks I50:
Bont: 22
Danger: 18

Makes some pretty interesting reading.

Lack of structure.......... wouldn't have to worry about their defender getting shown up for a lack of speed so Bont would have to take on the likes of McGovern, Talia, Henderson and co. He'd be back in the midfield in no time at all whereas Dangerfield has the versatility to question whatever the hell you throw at him.

It really is futile continuing a discussion.

You have clearly decided that Dangerfield is better at every facet of the game.

I do not need you to agree with my view, but I am comfortable with where the Bulldogs currently are and if it was up to me I would not swap Bontempelli for any player in the competition.

Back