Patrick Ryder vs Lance Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Just found out Croad is in some sort of doubt. I havent seen much of the Hawks, but has he been out injured? On the hawks board they were talking about a "foot hot spot" problem. If Croad is out then Mal will be left with very few match up possibilities.

Croad's been under an injury cloud all year.

Michael gets Boyle or Roughead. Paddy gets whoever Michael doesn't.
Fletcher goes to Franklin.

Works out beautifully for us.

Yep ... no Croad, Williams, Vandenberg, Jacobs, Clarke, Young, Bailey or Smith this week for the Hawks.

Out of those 8, all in the Hawks' best 22, only Smith is some sort of chance of returning for the Bombers game (and you'd think he'd have to come back via Box Hill).

Despite that, it's still an even money bet.

Jacobs was listed as Hammy tightness. I dunno what that means, but It doesnt sound serious. I think it is becoming the "in" injury. If someone is in the slightest doubt, it is "hamstring tightness". It used to be Osteitis Pubis, and before that it was the dreaded "flu"

1 on 1 should be an excellent match up. Both very athletic, quick and good skills.

most pleasing about franklin this year has been the improvement in his overhead and contested marking.
prior to this year, teams could get away with standing an mobile 188cm utility on him, but now that he's taking overhead marks, opposition coaches really need someone 192+ on him, and not many teams have defenders that tall that can run with buddy.

in terms of 2 specimens, ryder on franklin would be fantastic to watch. i don't think it'd be sheedy's first choice though - franklin has the capacity to kick 2 goals in 90 seconds, and i imagine sheeds will prefer someone with more experience - brain fades are expensive when you're playing on franklin.

if you guys can shut down franklin, you're halfway to winning the game. without williams in our side, buddy is almost the only hawthorn player who has the ability to kick a winning score against a side with lloyd and lucas both in form.

Ryder will get the job on Buddy, Fletcher will take Williams this week and Michael will take their best tall forward either Croad/Roughead/Dixon

williams isnt playing... fletcher will get the job on the young gun... atm franklin is the dominant hawthorn forward, ryder normally gets the third tall. i dont think roughhead will play i heard his game was very poor on the weekend. ryder could play on croad/dixon. perhaps though sheedy will put micheal on franklin (which i would be worried about) in order to free fletcher up.
i hope to hell we get JJ and campo in the side for this weekend... hawks have one of the best clearence teams in the competition, thats where they killed us last year, thats where they will kill us again if we dont have some experience and class in the centre.
i like the idea of bringing bachar in but think with the possible inclusiosn of JJ and campo, as well as NTL, welsh, hille.. we wont be debuting any other players

i was at yesterday's hawthorn game - i'm predicting that roughead will play v essendon.
with williams out, and no forwards dominating at box hill, it's almost a matter of "yes he's not in form, but who pushes him out of the 22?"

i was at yesterday's hawthorn game - i'm predicting that roughead will play v essendon.
with williams out, and no forwards dominating at box hill, it's almost a matter of "yes he's not in form, but who pushes him out of the 22?"

if our midfield play the way it did last game, we could very well play him in

Tambling and JON are better :p

In all seriousness i would even sit through watching the hawks depressing gameplan just two see these to match up on each other. Please sheedy and Clarkeson make it happen. Its the kind of match up that'll bring neutral supporters back to the game. :thumbsu:

williams isnt playing... fletcher will get the job on the young gun... atm franklin is the dominant hawthorn forward, ryder normally gets the third tall. i dont think roughhead will play i heard his game was very poor on the weekend. ryder could play on croad/dixon. perhaps though sheedy will put micheal on franklin (which i would be worried about) in order to free fletcher up.
i hope to hell we get JJ and campo in the side for this weekend... hawks have one of the best clearence teams in the competition, thats where they killed us last year, thats where they will kill us again if we dont have some experience and class in the centre.
i like the idea of bringing bachar in but think with the possible inclusiosn of JJ and campo, as well as NTL, welsh, hille.. we wont be debuting any other players

Yes I posted that b4 Williams was announced a goner.

Franklin will most likely be picked up by Fletcher unless he plays from the square where mal will get him so Fletcher can still setup from CHB like he ahs done so well all year!

In the practise match Ryder and Franklin played on each other a bit and Franklin dominated. He and Sam Mitchel were their side on that day and pevs did and awesome job on Mitchell in the 2nd half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like Mal to get Franklin. I think Franklin is a little soft and Mal will make him wet his pants and put him off his game.

Then you are a fool as Mal hasnt got the engine to get anywhere near Franklin. Dont know if you have actually seen Frankilin play recently. From what i saw live yesterday he was pretty impressive. Still has a few bone head moments but runs hard and has very good speed for a big bloke.

Whoever playsn Buddy better be prepared to run as he works pretty hard up and down the ground.
Good to know other supporters are taking notice of the amount of ground he covers.

FWIW, I'm not sure that Sheedy would have Ryder on Franklin. McPhee is probably a better chance of matching him up and winning the contest.

i could see the sense in playing fletcher or mcphee on franklin for the first 10 mins of each quarter, then switching mal michael onto him for 5 mins. in that time, mal is to bump, bullock, and crunch franklin on any opportunity that he gets. after that 5 mins, switch back to fletcher/mcphee.
it'd unsettle franklin, but he wouldn't just get to waltz around the forward half for 30 mins with mal wheezing along 20 metres behind him.

mal just doesn't have the tools to stand lance for entire quarters though.

i could see the sense in playing fletcher or mcphee on franklin for the first 10 mins of each quarter, then switching mal michael onto him for 5 mins. in that time, mal is to bump, bullock, and crunch franklin on any opportunity that he gets. after that 5 mins, switch back to fletcher/mcphee.
it'd unsettle franklin, but he wouldn't just get to waltz around the forward half for 30 mins with mal wheezing along 20 metres behind him.

mal just doesn't have the tools to stand lance for entire quarters though.

very good post :thumbsu:

Much better then just thinking "who will play on him" - after all, it's a dynamic game, footy.

McPhee would be my first choice if I were the Bombers. Fletcher to play on Dixon, Ryder on Boyle and Michael on Roughead if we play him this weekend. Murphy may get thrown forward if Roughead gets dropped for Croad (who should be in this week).

But yeah put McPhee on him and try to offer as much the other way as you can, although you have to be very defensively minded when playing on Buddy cause he can hurt you in a very short space of time.

.... then switching mal michael onto him for 5 mins. in that time, mal is to bump, bullock, and crunch franklin on any opportunity that he gets. .....

Concentration on sandwiching Buddy didn't work for Rodney's Dogs. Not the way to go.

Turn around and before you know it Buddy has six majors on the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back