PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure I've got 3 adapters running over two different circuits with no real issues, and there's plenty of people around the place who say it works fine. It probably depends on the wiring in the place.

yeah I use a wifi range extender with a cable from that to my pc, not the best way of doing it but it works

They work fine across different circuits, performance can degrade but it works.

Well there you go. Had no luck personally. Usually accumulation of interference from CB coil, electric hot water systems and anything else bus side and I’ve never been able to get a reliable pairing whether that be my own or others I’ve set them up for.

Why is it more expensive to buy 2 sticks of 8gb ram compared to a single stick of 16?

Because you're paying for two and those two are matched to be a pair. The ones you are comparing are probably different speeds too which can missed if you're just looking at sizes. RAM is crazy at the moment. I just looked mine up and it has gone up 40% since I got it only a few months back. Probably doesn't help your build budget right now.

Very high chance if you do that then they won't be compatible. RAM is fickle, that's why they sell them in kits as they have already been tested to be a match.

Isn't it that as long as the second ram is the same brand and type then all will be ok?

Isn't it that as long as the second ram is the same brand and type then all will be ok?

Even if you match brand, size, speed and timings there is no guarantee they will be identical and that the motherboard will accept them. This is why there are kits. The manufacturers go to lengths to make sure the sets are compatible and that’s why the kits often cost a bit more.

Hi everyone.
I've put together a build, inspired by Whirpools suggestion, and modified some bits and pieces. However, the overall price is about $1,700 odd or so, which is in excess of my $1,600 budget. Are there any suggestions or modification that can be further made to bring down the cost.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - MSY - $275
Mobo: ASROCK AB350M-ATX AM4 - MSY - $109
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Black 2400 - MSY - $262
SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB - MSY - $120
HDD: WD Blue 2TB - MSY - $86
GPU: Colorful iGame GTX 1060 Vulcan X OC - MSY - $449 (May reconsider using other GTX 1060)
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R - MSY - $82 (Can probably go cheaper)
PSU: Corsair TX550M - MSY - $109
Network Adapter: TPLINK Archer T9E - MSY - $89 (I'm not certain about this one. Does anybody have any other suggestion?)
Total - $1,726

Thank you! :)
Buy Win 10 64bit pro off eBay for $20...

I'm settling with this build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($275.00)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.00)
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($267.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($116.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($428.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00 @ Umart)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00)
Total: $1512.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-06 13:24 AEDT+1100

I've removed the Wireless network thing, changed the case and graphics card, buying W10 from online and changed the GPU.

Thoughts before I make the plunge?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($116.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($428.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00)

I've removed the Wireless network thing, changed the case and graphics card, buying W10 from online and changed the GPU.

That SSD will fill up with 4-6 games installed. Try for a 480+gb if you can afford...

This is nuts. I'm sure if it were a massive problem before, as in how easily your info can be pilfered by all but the best hacks, we would have heard about it already sometime in the last 10 years (don't need a tinfoil hat to suggest intelligence agencies have already been sitting on it though). My only concern now is that if it's more common knowledge then how many more are going to try and exploit it and if the software patches are just going to give away the exploit. On the bright side, what a great excuse to upgrade my CPU in a year or two xD

First video for the in depth, second for the ELI5 even if not 100% correct (according to comments).

This is nuts. I'm sure if it were a massive problem before, as in how easily your info can be pilfered by all but the best hacks, we would have heard about it already sometime in the last 10 years (don't need a tinfoil hat to suggest intelligence agencies have already been sitting on it though). My only concern now is that if it's more common knowledge then how many more are going to try and exploit it and if the software patches are just going to give away the exploit. On the bright side, what a great excuse to upgrade my CPU in a year or two xD

First video for the in depth, second for the ELI5 even if not 100% correct (according to comments).

While they are certainly big security holes I reckon there's a fair bit of scaremongering going on, it wouldn't surprise me if it all blew over relatively quickly.

While they are certainly big security holes I reckon there's a fair bit of scaremongering going on, it wouldn't surprise me if it all blew over relatively quickly.

I think the performance repercussions like Jay mentioned are hyperbole but IMO I don’t think the threat is quite scaremongering. The kernel is giving info to queries that aren’t permitted to have it. The patch to ensure there is a handshake now should do the job and it will probably be the last we hear of it (until Intel announce they have fixed it in future chips as a marketing point) but I think it’s pretty crazy that this has existed for so long and it’s only just coming out now.

If you can hold out for another month or so the new Volta and Vega GPU's should be hitting shelves, which should see some nice sales on this gens units. You've just missed the Boxing Day/NYD sales which would have priced that closer to $1000 so I'd probably wait until the new gen release or another wave of sales. Check on here every few days, the posters are pretty good with sales, you can scroll back and see what kind of offers get put up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalesaustralia/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back