PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the responses guys :thumbsu: like dwwaino and Mr_Moogle have the B7, otherwise would def go with the 1060.

Like Dannnnnnnnnn starting a higher ed course in July so to not get in dog house or let it gather dust, might have too offload a couple of my consoles too. :D

Are crypto miners still mostly responsible for the price of video cards? Insane prices regardless.

Yeah man. GPU prices are ****ed right now.

RAM prices are ****ed too. I want to upgrade my ancient i5 4670 but I'm not willing to put down $280 for 16gb of DDR4 so I'm playing the waiting game.

Yeah man. GPU prices are ****** right now.

RAM prices are ****** too. I want to upgrade my ancient i5 4670 but I'm not willing to put down $280 for 16gb of DDR4 so I'm playing the waiting game.
The waiting game sucks, let's play hungry, hungry hippos!

Yeah man. GPU prices are ****** right now.

RAM prices are ****** too. I want to upgrade my ancient i5 4670 but I'm not willing to put down $280 for 16gb of DDR4 so I'm playing the waiting game.

Upgrading for upgradings sake. There's literally nothing you can throw at that CPU that it won't be able to handle.

yep, I reckon I can get another 2 GPU upgrades in before my 4670k starts struggling

Yeah this thing started out it's life as a 2500k with and 560ti, bought another card 2nd hand and ran SLI for a while, now it's running a 970 and I haven't had any real performance issues. It could benefit from a bump to 16GB RAM due to the amount of s**t I generally have open, but gaming wise it's fine for 1080p.

If the crypto bubble bursts I might look at a 9th gen Intel when it's released, but there's no real reason to right now.

I loved my 2500k, it was so OC friendly and paired it with a 680. Only reason I upgraded was a few years later my mobo died so had to go a new socket. Went with a locked 4690 and a gtx 980, then when I went to splash some cash on a 1440p gsync display and a 1080ti the 4690 was full loading before GPU and bottlenecking. Luckily the 8th gen was only just around the corner and the extra cores and sheer boost in clock speed on the 8700k was certainly noticeable.

Cannon lake should be out later this year anyway for anyone looking out. Apparently on same 1151 config and z370 boards as 8th gen.

Yeah this thing started out it's life as a 2500k with and 560ti, bought another card 2nd hand and ran SLI for a while, now it's running a 970 and I haven't had any real performance issues. It could benefit from a bump to 16GB RAM due to the amount of s**t I generally have open, but gaming wise it's fine for 1080p.

If the crypto bubble bursts I might look at a 9th gen Intel when it's released, but there's no real reason to right now.
Mate of mine only just upgraded his 2500k that was pretty much at its limit running a gtx1070. Now has the latest i7 with a gtx1080ti.

Nothing wrong with a 4th gen i5 performance wise.

It's 5 years old and it's not like it will go to waste anyway. I will use the left over parts to make a lounge room PC.

Upgrading for upgradings sake. There's literally nothing you can throw at that CPU that it won't be able to handle.

Battlefield 1 gets stuttering because it maxes out all 4 cores. In any case I want more cores/threads because I multi-task and I'm sick of my frames bogging down when people are streaming from the server.

Ryzen has shaken the market up and it's actually a really great time to upgrade a CPU...well it would be were it not for the RAM prices.

Battlefield 1 gets stuttering because it maxes out all 4 cores. In any case I want more cores/threads because I multi-task and I'm sick of my frames bogging down when people are streaming from the server.

BF1 was the final straw for me too. Searching around it's pretty clear that BF1 is simply a CPU hog and I tried all the tricks I could find. Ended up improving it a bit but I couldn't stop it from maxing out my 4690 while my GPU was jogging along at 70-80% load and frames tanked because of it.

Nothing wrong with upgrading for the sake of it though. If you're an enthusiast and it's your hobby then why not? Is it necessary? Probably not. But that shouldn't matter. If the jump from Pascal to Volta is around >=30% then you can be pretty sure I'll be swapping my 1080ti for the Volta xx80ti.

BF1 was the final straw for me too. Searching around it's pretty clear that BF1 is simply a CPU hog and I tried all the tricks I could find. Ended up improving it a bit but I couldn't stop it from maxing out my 4690 while my GPU was jogging along at 70-80% load and frames tanked because of it.

Nothing wrong with upgrading for the sake of it though. If you're an enthusiast and it's your hobby then why not? Is it necessary? Probably not. But that shouldn't matter. If the jump from Pascal to Volta is around >=30% then you can be pretty sure I'll be swapping my 1080ti for the Volta xx80ti.

Can i have your 1080 :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were still 2016 I would agree with people telling me not to upgrade the i5 4670 but Ryzen/Coffeelake are the first CPU's to come around in ages which actually offer a substantial step up from the previous generation. Look at the Ryzen 5 1600. 6 cores/12 threads and only $250. That's pretty crazy. I'd love to jump in but spending $270 for 16Gb DDR4 just seems wrong to me.

Wondering now whether I should have gone an Asus/Aura compatible mobo instead of Asrock, so I could grab the Gskill RGB Ram, and use Aura to control the RGB lighting.

Grabbed the Corsair ones and plan on grabbing the LL120 fans to use with Corsair Link, but if Aura is compatiable with a fair bit of RGB hardware, might return the mobo.....providing there isn't a huge jump in price for mobo and compatible fans with Aura.

Those with Gskill Ram and Asus mobos run well?

Wondering now whether I should have gone an Asus/Aura compatible mobo instead of Asrock, so I could grab the Gskill RGB Ram, and use Aura to control the RGB lighting.

Grabbed the Corsair ones and plan on grabbing the LL120 fans to use with Corsair Link, but if Aura is compatiable with a fair bit of RGB hardware, might return the mobo.....providing there isn't a huge jump in price for mobo and compatible fans with Aura.

Those with Gskill Ram and Asus mobos run well?

So much for your medium build lol. You’re going down a rabbit hole that has no going back!

I assume you’re talking about the Trident Z RGB G Skill stuff? Because that’s a hell of a markup just for Christmas tree lighting (not that I can talk...), especially with the ridiculous price of RAM at the moment. Your mobo you already got will do the job, only issue is it doesnt support overclocked RAM (not a huge deal anyway) from what I could see at the time but that could be a blessing because it’s the best excuse not to drop pennies on the fancy stuff.

Otherwise if you insist then check out the Asus Strix B350 board. Good price, has the Asus Aura that you want, more options on the I/O panel like optical that your ASRock doesn’t, supports OC’d RAM up to 3200mhz which is probably the most common kits you can buy and is apparently the sweet spot anyway, and rocks a S1220a audio chip which if you just want to plug in a stereo headset will poop over the chip in your ASRock board.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Motherboards/AMD-Socket-AM4/68726-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING

Just looking for some advice is a fairly strong gaming laptop, possible for such a price? Cheers

Here's a handy list

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Notebooks/Gaming-Notebooks

But as you can see it's a bit limited in that bracket. 'Strong' specs probably don't really start until the Acer Helios for $1899. Just keep in mind that you'll be paying a premium for a gaming laptop vs building a desktop with equivalent specs. If the budget is strict and it came down to the Acer Nitro ($1499) and the Acer Aspire ($1399) then the extra $100 for the Nitro is more than worth it for the 4gb 1050TI and 16gb of memory.

Here's a handy list

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Notebooks/Gaming-Notebooks

But as you can see it's a bit limited in that bracket. 'Strong' specs probably don't really start until the Acer Helios for $1899. Just keep in mind that you'll be paying a premium for a gaming laptop vs building a desktop with equivalent specs. If the budget is strict and it came down to the Acer Nitro ($1499) and the Acer Aspire ($1399) then the extra $100 for the Nitro is more than worth it for the 4gb 1050TI and 16gb of memory.
What are your opinions on buying used?

Depends on how old. Stuff like Alienware laptops are fairly overpriced new but you might be able to find something recent’ish for a worth while price second hand. Don’t take my word though, just guessing.
Am looking at just doing interest free at Harvey normal. Budgets probably 2.5k, not sure what best for that price...

Am looking at just doing interest free at Harvey normal. Budgets probably 2.5k, not sure what best for that price...

Just on my phone at the moment (waiting in line for a photo/meet and greet with Riewoldt, Grigg and Rance :D) and had a quick squizz, Harvey Norman carry the Acer Predator stuff as well. 20% off at the moment. The Predator G9 has better specs than the MSI stuff in the same bracket. It’s a really solid machine but at $2388 you’re still paying a pretty premium price. Looks like 20% off at the moment too which shaves off Harvey Norman’s usual markup. I’ve done that interest thing there before. If you’ve never done it before it’s just a GO MasterCard and be mindful of the interest when it kicks in if you don’t pay it off in time. When I used to have one of those cards it was like 21%.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-predator-g9-793-78rv-17-3-gaming-laptop.html

Just on my phone at the moment (waiting in line for a photo/meet and greet with Riewoldt, Grigg and Rance :D) and had a quick squizz, Harvey Norman carry the Acer Predator stuff as well. 20% off at the moment. The Predator G9 has better specs than the MSI stuff in the same bracket. It’s a really solid machine but at $2388 you’re still paying a pretty premium price. Looks like 20% off at the moment too which shaves off Harvey Norman’s usual markup. I’ve done that interest thing there before. If you’ve never done it before it’s just a GO MasterCard and be mindful of the interest when it kicks in if you don’t pay it off in time. When I used to have one of those cards it was like 21%.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-predator-g9-793-78rv-17-3-gaming-laptop.html
Cheers mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back