2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I preferred Schulz's game to Bewley's. Good pace and kicked his goals. Banfield tried hard but made a lot of mistakes. Overall, we looked like a second tier Freo. Same system, same problems, same result.

Watched a replay this morning, and agree. Shulz played with pace, purpose and composure. We need that more than anything at the moment. Bewley's work rate is/was fantastic, he makes quick decisions and his delivery can be solid enough, but his vision is poor and he panic kicks too often, in fact many of them do ...

... which gave me the impression they are asked to play with more inferred pressure than there actually is to mimic the intensity of AFL. That was the only logical conclusion I could come up with why they so often blindly put it on the boot, hoisting it to nobody in particular when trying to go fwd. :think:

Watched a replay this morning, and agree. Shulz played with pace, purpose and composure. We need that more than anything at the moment. Bewley's work rate is/was fantastic, he makes quick decisions and his delivery can be solid enough, but his vision is poor and he panic kicks too often, in fact many of them do ...

... which gave me the impression they are asked to play with more inferred pressure than there actually is to mimic the intensity of AFL. That was the only logical conclusion I could come up with why they so often blindly put it on the boot, hoisting it to nobody in particular when trying to go fwd. :think:
I'd like to think that were true. He was selected for his long accurate kicking which appears to have deserted him.

I'd like to think that were true. He was selected for his long accurate kicking which appears to have deserted him.

I assume you mean Bewely ... It has a bit, but you still see it from time to time. It's not so much mechanics but decision making or lack there of for mine. He misses easier options which makes what he's trying to execute that much harder and/or not particularly helpful. Like I said, perhaps he's being encouraged to find and use that first option because it takes a while to develop the feel at the top level when you can successfully go to a 2nd or 3rd options if at all. It's primarily the pace of the game at AFL level which makes a good WAFL/SANFL etc. player look ordinary at the top level.

Last edited:

Was thinking the same watching. Just this fat looking slob who made Logue his bitch.
He had a nice snap off the right where he took his time. Some other nice shots.
He had a left foot banana that hit the post which just oozed skill.
Last time I saw someone attempt a left foot banana it cost us a game against Carlton.

Give me a DeBoer or Barlow type everyday over someone who can leap high and row well.

I’m already regretting us reaching for Sturt who only just started taking AFL seriously, think he was into cricket.

Ian Hill debuts today and that one burns deep. A small forward with exquisite skill. Did we need that? My golly we did. Probably would’ve also stopped any rumours of Brad or Stephen wanting to leave.

Not giving up on Sturt he’s young and in a 14 year olds body but I wanted Ian Hill so bad and he was available at 17.

Anyway, I digress.
I rate Sturt big time. Natural footy smarts and an excellent kick at goal. Just wish he was coached with the freedom to play his natural game. Easy to forget he's only 18 too. I think Valente will become a best 22 regular in time too. At the moment the overly defensive game plan is killing us. We always play our best when we move the ball fast through the corridor and we've seen none of that since quarter time of the Carlton game.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I rate Sturt big time. Natural footy smarts and an excellent kick at goal. Just wish he was coached with the freedom to play his natural game. Easy to forget he's only 18 too. I think Valente will become a best 22 regular in time too. At the moment the overly defensive game plan is killing us. We always play our best when we move the ball fast through the corridor and we've seen none of that since quarter time of the Carlton game.

I rate him too but I’m impatient. The good teams are playing youngsters. Ones we passed on.
We haven’t had a rising star this year. We don’t even play eligible guys.

Losing Tabs and then Lobb/Hogan in quick succession really robbed up of the outlet kick/mark that allowed us to move the ball faster.

Hill was ruled out on character iirc
Not true - he was definitely wanted, but they felt Strut was a potential freak who fitted our needs better than Ian Hill at the time. Hill was not available at our second, when we took Valente.

Whether Sturt was a good call or not will probably not be clear for at least a couple of years, but I have seen some things from him at training that make me go "wow!".

Not true - he was definitely wanted, but they felt Strut was a potential freak who fitted our needs better than Ian Hill at the time. Hill was not available at our second, when we took Valente.

Whether Sturt was a good call or not will probably not be clear for at least a couple of years, but I have seen some things from him at training that make me go "wow!".
I think someone with inside info here posted at the time that Hill wasn’t even considered at any point due to associations

Not to cast aspersion on anyone, but if I had $1 for every story that came from someone with inside information I'd be a very rich man ;)
There’s those people you don’t even read, there’s those you don’t believe and then there’s those who you pay attention to, I think it was the third camp

Edit: looking back on the post and it wasn’t as bad as I remembered, just wasn’t rated very highly in regards to character and family support

(Log in to remove this ad.)

qiJYcNd.png

V5vGEUA.png

I rate him too but I’m impatient. The good teams are playing youngsters. Ones we passed on.
We haven’t had a rising star this year. We don’t even play eligible guys.

I'm not so convinced. Using the 'rising star' is fairly arbitrary as guide to developing youth. Switta, Logue, Darcy, Bewlely, Brayshaw and Cerra are all very much 'young development' type players for us and don't qualify on technicality really. Then there's the likes of Tucker (21 y/o, 47 games at start of season), Hughes (24 yrs & 29 gms), Ryan (23 & 21) and Blakely (22 & 46) who are not far from that category either, still moving from novice to established AFL players as they will be at end of season.

Then you've got to look at who actually qualifies:
Crowden - he's been used, he's nothing special though, so do you gift him games?
Duman - underused for mine, he looks the goods. Like his style, should def have played against Eagles and since.
Giro - Had average Peel form, and now out for season, so don't bother.
Carter - has come on, should be included and probably will soon, but not anything controversial that he hasn't played yet.
Dixon - does he seriously deserve a game? I mean, we need talls, but he's a fair way from it.
Meek - unlucky here, was building and would likely have got a call up to seniors but for bad injury.
North - could make a case for him to have played.
Sturt - was long way from AFL ready and with concussion issues, never was a serious option.
Valente - like the look, doubt he's AFL ready - though he should perhaps be considered if we continue to bomb out this season.

So what's that, 2 RS eligible that have played more or less as you'd expect and there's only 1-2 that one could argue should probably have got a run, and 1-2 that perhaps should get a game before the season's out.

TL;DR:

We haven't really missed too many opportunities to play RS nominees and those close to that category on our list. Colyer over say Shultz or Bewely selection might reek (and it does), but that's not been that common.

Last edited:
I see a new team selection process has been underway at Peel this year to give every player a chance to play in every position on the ground. This week's selection again throwing up surprises. Sorry - my sarcasm always goes before me;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back