2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Hughes is going to play 22 games this year
Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

He's been on our list for years and he's never been better than depth. Last year on the wing he was a liability. It's a fact.

If you expect posters to only say positive things about him because he tries hard then you need to toughen up.
Not a matter of toughening up, more a matter of fact and respect for one of our own.

From Reddit, 2017:

I did this by using AFL tables’ link to all players in AFL history sorted by games played. This means in my table I will not be including players who were delisted or retired without playing a single game.

As a point of reference for those interested 12581 people have played at least one AFL game.

Game MilestoneNumber Of Players To Reach MilestonePercentage Of Players To Reach Milestone
10771561.323%
50396831.540%
100221317.590%
15011439.085%
2005604.452%
2502341.860%
300830.660%
350150.119%
40040.032%
I found this information quite interesting in the end as less than a third of all players who ever play a game will fail to reach the 50 game milestone that is often not highly regarded. In fact the median number for games played is surprisingly just 19 games.

Hughes has played 101 games. You cannot say he is s**t when he has managed more games than 84% of other players who actually played a game. Yes, he has limitations, but he must have many good qualities appreciated by coaches and team mates. Maybe he is more admirable because he has worked harder than many to achieve his 100+ status.

Simply because it will mean the whole team has improved I hope that in 2024 Hughes is depth, but he has been a more than worthy part of FFC on and off field and still has a lot to contribute..

Hughes has worked his arse off to get the most out of his ability and you call him s**t.
This says a lot about your character.
Not everyone can be a superstar but having keyboard warriors disrespect them like that is beyond pathetic.
Go and find a f*#kin mirror
He is s**t now. And that's coming from someone who was defending him all the way up until last week where I realised that he's progressed from being an average role player to a s**t role player.

Not a matter of toughening up, more a matter of fact and respect for one of our own.

From Reddit, 2017:

I did this by using AFL tables’ link to all players in AFL history sorted by games played. This means in my table I will not be including players who were delisted or retired without playing a single game.

As a point of reference for those interested 12581 people have played at least one AFL game.

Game MilestoneNumber Of Players To Reach MilestonePercentage Of Players To Reach Milestone
10771561.323%
50396831.540%
100221317.590%
15011439.085%
2005604.452%
2502341.860%
300830.660%
350150.119%
40040.032%
I found this information quite interesting in the end as less than a third of all players who ever play a game will fail to reach the 50 game milestone that is often not highly regarded. In fact the median number for games played is surprisingly just 19 games.

Hughes has played 101 games. You cannot say he is s**t when he has managed more games than 84% of other players who actually played a game. Yes, he has limitations, but he must have many good qualities appreciated by coaches and team mates. Maybe he is more admirable because he has worked harder than many to achieve his 100+ status.

Simply because it will mean the whole team has improved I hope that in 2024 Hughes is depth, but he has been a more than worthy part of FFC on and off field and still has a lot to contribute..
Being durable doesn’t mean you’re good.

He is s**t now. And that's coming from someone who was defending him all the way up until last week where I realised that he's progressed from being an average role player to a s**t role player.
Hughes has always been consistent though. Sure hes not flashy but have to admit he is valued in the defence and helps with the under the radar stuff that fans have no clue about.
No secret that when he was in the backline last year, Pearce and Cox spoke about how much it helped.

Hughes has always been consistent though. Sure hes not flashy but have to admit he is valued in the defence and helps with the under the radar stuff that fans have no clue about.
No secret that when he was in the backline last year, Pearce and Cox spoke about how much it helped.
Look I can accept that he does the under the radar stuff and it's why I was advocating for him before, but his disposal and decision making is way too slow and poor when he does get the ball and it slows us down hugely compared to playing someone like wagner in his place.

Hughes has worked his arse off to get the most out of his ability and you call him s**t.
This says a lot about your character.
Not everyone can be a superstar but having keyboard warriors disrespect them like that is beyond pathetic.
Go and find a f*#kin mirror
he can only play to his ability and he plays with his heart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, there's the fact that he IS s**t of course. Did he say he hates the guy, no... Don't get so offended petal
I find it's usually the 25 stone, sofa bound heroes that have never played a game of footy in their lives, let alone at AFL level, that are most prone to calling players from their own team 's**t'.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I find it's usually the 25 stone, sofa bound heroes that have never played a game of footy in their lives, let alone at AFL level, that are most prone to calling players from their own team 's**t'.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Playing as a rebound defender in amateurs, I love having heart and soul players playing alongside me in the backline to do the hard defending stuff.

Syndrome from Incredibles said it best "when everyone from the backline is rebounding, no one is".

Playing as a rebound defender in amateurs, I love having heart and soul players playing alongside me in the backline to do the hard defending stuff.

Syndrome from Incredibles said it best "when everyone from the backline is rebounding, no one is".
So you're one of those skittish types who's never there when shizen gets real? :p

Look I can accept that he does the under the radar stuff and it's why I was advocating for him before, but his disposal and decision making is way too slow and poor when he does get the ball and it slows us down hugely compared to playing someone like wagner in his place.
Unfortunately Wagner and Chapman are injured. Walker some chance but underdone. Hughes will therefore play round 1 and likely round 2. Once we see the cavalry return from injury can’t see him getting too much of a look in. Will be similar to Wilson with a few early games and then consigned to being Peel regular with the occasional game as depth cover for injuries.

I have no problem with him in the team for the start of the year as it is now that we have been hit by injuries to the half back line.

I like what I’ve seen from Knobel and can see him playing afl next year. Reidy has a lot of work to do to stay on the list. I like what I’ve seen of Odin Jones so far also. More forward but his mobility in the ruck could be handy.
Definitely think Knobel will be the long-term backup first ruck if he stays. Holding on to him may be the difficult part. He has said he expects to get Afl time this year.
Reidy tends to have one very good game followed by a poor one.

Definitely think Knobel will be the long-term backup first ruck if he stays. Holding on to him may be the difficult part. He has said he expects to get Afl time this year.
Reidy tends to have one very good game followed by a poor one.

I think it’s looking a lot like Lloyd Meek and Scott Jones tbh.

Jones hang around two years getting the odd game and got the boot. Meek barely played WAFL in his first two years but was kept to be the back up ruck anyway - looked far more capable at AFL level in his third year onwards than Jones ever did but who knows what Meek would’ve been like earlier.

I think this time it’s important we make sure that if/when Knobel asks for a trade we don’t need to draft two rucks like we have previously. We should always have our main depth guy and another young ruck developing imo. The club may see Odin Jones as that developing guy next year but I see him more as a forward tbh.

It’s going to be very hard to get a depth ruck to move across the country to sit behind Darcy and Jackson so we are better off making sure we develop that depth ourselves imo.

Last edited:
I think it’s looking a lot like Lloyd Meek and Scott Jones tbh.

Jones hang around two years getting the odd game and got the boot. Meek barely played WAFL in his first two years but was kept to be the back up ruck anyway - looked far more capable at AFL level in his third year onwards than Jones ever did but who knows what Meek would’ve been like earlier.

I think this time it’s important we make sure that if/when Knobel asks for a trade we don’t need to draft two rucks like we have previously. We should always have our main depth guy and another young ruck developing imo. The club may see Jones as that developing guy next year but I see him more as a forward tbh.

It’s going to be very hard to get a depth ruck to move across the country to sit behind Darcy and Jackson so we are better off making sure we develop that depth ourselves imo.
I think we may need to play Knobel as first ruck if Darcy goes down rather than Jackson.as soon as reasonably possible. I like Odin ( from the little i have seen. Mainly colts), but Knobel is going to be a top line ruck by the looks. Odin looks more like a Reidy replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back