2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Potentially the game day experience, the prep, lead up, is a better learning tool than a meaningless peel scratchy?
Possibly but it could also be said that he's only played a very small amount in terms of overage competiion and very game he plays he'll get more used to playing against bigger bodies than underage football. I'd play him a half and then take him off the field while doing the same with Will Brodie. That way if we get a very late injury change one of those two would be able to come into the team as sub.

Does anyone know when the WAFL measures everyone's height/weight? Keen to see if Coops has grown.

Article on The West which gives good account of Walker:

Pacey Fremantle defender Brandon Walker has taken a major step towards an AFL return, impressing for Peel Thunder in a pre-season clash against East Perth.

On a hot afternoon in Mandurah, the 22-year-old was one of Peel’s best, moving freely laterally and breaking lines off half-back with ease in a bid to prove he is ready to return to senior level after a dislocated kneecap derailed his 2023 campaign.

He even found himself leaping into contests and providing spoiling assistance as Peel Thunder slumped to a 33-point defeat at Lane Group Stadium.

Despite sporting heavy strapping around his right knee - the same knee he dislocated against Collingwood in round 18 last season - from the bounce, Walker moved fluidly for the four quarters.

He was collected by a big bump late in the day but recovered quickly before heading to the bench to have his thigh, which took the bulk of the impact, strapped.

Walker has recovered quicker than first thought from the season-ending knee injury and was pushing hard for round one before missing out.

If determined fully fit, Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir could be hard-pressed to prevent Walker from adding to his 45 games in purple, especially after a scything play in the second term.

Coming off the defensive arc, Walker took a handball receive and burst through the corridor, taking a bounce before sitting a perfect kick on Matt Taberner, who outmuscled his defender and took a strong grab.

Matt Taberner and new recruit Patrick Voss did their chances of selection no harm, providing strong targets up forward.

Taberner looked good, ranging upfield as well, while Voss showed good awareness to slip into a vacant goal square for the game’s first goal.

However, their set shots were shaky, and both missed opportunities to add more significance to their contributions.The form of Walker would have given Justin Longmuir plenty to ponder.

Young South Australian draftee Jack Delean showed his rawness with moments of excitement punctuated with a few horror mistakes, while Sam Sturt was quiet.

He registered his first major with a forward 50 crumb in the third term but struggled to make an impact.

Anyone there today?
Yep as iam a local, Peel played a very young experienced side and lost by about 5 goals Freo players..

WAlker , probably best of them all, hasnt lossed his pace, still a bit shaky with his attacking disposal but will improve from here (took a hard knock 20 min mark of last Q)

Brodie, heap of the ball but same player as last year, can get plenty of it but cant hurt a side going forward

Reidy , solid and tried hard to be physical but Jones probaly beat him and young Knobel

Tabs, couple of goals on an undersized opposition, long way off

Voss , diito geat kick for goal but not much else (with his body strength might make a good full back)

Sturt , had a ROUGH DAY but a couple of goals in second half , seemed to favour a leg

Draper , Davies and Murphy saw plenty of the ball, wish they would encourage Draper to be an intercept marker as at the moment all he does is spoil (get creative and play him off a wing)

Delean and Williams both showed pace but had no effect on the game

Draft prospect a young defender Bo Allen was very good(dont let him get away like Naughton)

Jlo was there watching

PS /we need to get back Seb Kuek when over knee as he has a POD

Yep as iam a local, Peel played a very young experienced side and lost by about 5 goals Freo players..

WAlker , probably best of them all, hasnt lossed his pace, still a bit shaky with his attacking disposal but will improve from here (took a hard knock 20 min mark of last Q)

Brodie, heap of the ball but same player as last year, can get plenty of it but cant hurt a side going forward

Reidy , solid and tried hard to be physical but Jones probaly beat him and young Knobel

Voss , diito geat kick for goal but not much else (with his body strength might make a good full back)

Sturt , had a ROUGH DAY but a couple of goals in second half , seemed to favour a leg

Draper , Davies and Murphy saw plenty of the ball, wish they would encourage Draper to be an intercept marker as at the moment all he does is spoil (get creative and play him off a wing)

Draft prospect a young defender Bo Allen was very good(dont let him get away like Naughton)

Jlo was there watching

Brilliant thank you for the detail, even if Walker aside it all sound very meh

Jlo was there watching

Thanks for the write up, greatly appreciated, Sounds like walker should be in if he didn’t get a bad corky.

I’m really disappointed for Sturt after he made such progress last year, just seems completely off it
I could be wrong but I think Sturt is hurt, carrying a hip injury or a knee complaint. If he can fight through that maybe he gets better - but it worries me that he is in the last year of a contract so will try to play when he should be off healing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jlo was there watching

Bit of talk on Bo Allen, but I’m more interested in Harvey and Champion.

Yep me too. Obviously he's got a lot of time to turn things around this season but his inability to get into the play more is the massive concern.
That’s the hard thing, you don’t have much time in a contract year

Sturt was always a slight risk at his selection without a large body of work behind him at junior level. He doesn’t work hard enough & needs to do more without ball in hand. More tackles, more pressure acts, more score assists to get himself into games.
He plays like a key forward & just looks like he doesn’t believe he belongs at AFL level.

I could be wrong but I think Sturt is hurt, carrying a hip injury or a knee complaint. If he can fight through that maybe he gets better - but it worries me that he is in the last year of a contract so will try to play when he should be off healing up.

Sturt had knee surgery at the start of Dec and not back into swing of full training until end of Jan. Medial meniscus repair. I had this surgery around 18 months ago and whilst I was back running and doing gym stuff not long after when playing football last year it took me quite a while for the knee to cope with the game running etc. Knee was very sore in the first month or so of games and then it came good. I’m a pretty old bugger compared to Sturt so he will recover much quicker than me but to be honest he has done well to be back up and running in the games so far quickly. I’m not surprised he is favouring a leg. I’m also not surprised that he has been spotted with trainers during training showing frustration and then having a look at his knee. He will need a bit more time I’d suggest.

Peel should have a good year, some weeks they'll have close to 10 players with AFL aspirations this year.

Voss/Taberner/Sturt should combine for a bag every week. Sturt especially should dominate against the 3rd best defender who is a part time footballer.

Either he’s in charge of the Nespresso machine or it’s Point Of Difference.
Seb has a point of difference in that he has a great leap and can use that to take a pack mark in the goal square (if he gets a run at it but defenders can body him out it )
Also has good lead speed and a reasonable kick, keep him on the Rookie list and see if he develops further

Seb has a point of difference in that he has a great leap and can use that to take a pack mark in the goal square (if he gets a run at it but defenders can body him out it )
Also has good lead speed and a reasonable kick, keep him on the Rookie list and see if he develops further
Out of interest who out of Draper, Murphy and Davies impressed you most on Saturday?

I agree about Kuek. Given the right matchup at the next level I think he could be very damaging. Probably tries to do a bit too much though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back