2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sturt had knee surgery at the start of Dec and not back into swing of full training until end of Jan. Medial meniscus repair. I had this surgery around 18 months ago and whilst I was back running and doing gym stuff not long after when playing football last year it took me quite a while for the knee to cope with the game running etc. Knee was very sore in the first month or so of games and then it came good. I’m a pretty old bugger compared to Sturt so he will recover much quicker than me but to be honest he has done well to be back up and running in the games so far quickly. I’m not surprised he is favouring a leg. I’m also not surprised that he has been spotted with trainers during training showing frustration and then having a look at his knee. He will need a bit more time I’d suggest.
Tried to play through it on Saturday and improved in the second half but definately favours a leg (spent a lot time on the bench working with the Physio)

He might be one of those players that never gets a good run at it which is a pity as he definately has the talent and ability (still a good kick for goal)

Out of interest who out of Draper, Murphy and Davies impressed you most on Saturday?
That`s a hard one but long term i would say Murphy but given his body shape would need another 2 yrs in the gym

Draper has the build and height to play next week, he has good disposal skills just wish he would go for his marks more as at the moment he takes the safe option and spoils

That`s a hard one but long term i would say Murphy but given his body shape would need another 2 yrs in the gym

Draper has the build and height to play next week, he has good disposal skills just wish he would go for his marks more as at the moment he takes the safe option and spoils
That's a criticism I can live with for a few weeks. Bring him in JL

Sturt was always a slight risk at his selection without a large body of work behind him at junior level. He doesn’t work hard enough & needs to do more without ball in hand. More tackles, more pressure acts, more score assists to get himself into games.
He plays like a key forward & just looks like he doesn’t believe he belongs at AFL level.
Unfortunately I think this is an accurate summation. Injuries and concussion issues early on didn't help.

I think it’s looking a lot like Lloyd Meek and Scott Jones tbh.

Jones hang around two years getting the odd game and got the boot. Meek barely played WAFL in his first two years but was kept to be the back up ruck anyway - looked far more capable at AFL level in his third year onwards than Jones ever did but who knows what Meek would’ve been like earlier.

I think this time it’s important we make sure that if/when Knobel asks for a trade we don’t need to draft two rucks like we have previously. We should always have our main depth guy and another young ruck developing imo. The club may see Odin Jones as that developing guy next year but I see him more as a forward tbh.

It’s going to be very hard to get a depth ruck to move across the country to sit behind Darcy and Jackson so we are better off making sure we develop that depth ourselves imo.
I don't think was that bad to be honest.

I wished he got that debut game vs Port in that final game in 2019.

COVID stuffed up many young players in 2020. Meek was essentially training with the club in 2020. Again.... He should of some how got a game in 2020 with Sandilands gone.

2021 he finally got a run of dockers games.

This is where I think Knobel and Reidy should get at least 1 dockers game in 2024.

Big Griff was better around the grounds, but he was a bit of a journeyman I spose. Knobel might get there, but seemed a bit ineffectual as I’ve seen him so far.
Jono Griffin was underrated.

Wasn't great talent wise but tried his guts out and worked hard like many guys in our 2012-15 finals era

I agree about Kuek. Given the right matchup at the next level I think he could be very damaging. Probably tries to do a bit too much though.

I think one of the biggest issues now is that he’ll be 24 before next season even starts.

He’d need Taberner to retire and one of Voss or Jones to show so little they get delisted after one year.

It’s a shame because I’d say that one year extension was deserved at the time.

I think one of the biggest issues now is that he’ll be 24 before next season even starts.

He’d need Taberner to retire and one of Voss or Jones to show so little they get delisted after one year.

It’s a shame because I’d say that one year extension was deserved at the time.
24 is still relatively young for a key position forward, best years ahead of him ( you have seen the best of Tabs and he is not going to improve given his body/spine in particular has been knocked about)

24 is still relatively young for a key position forward, best years ahead of him ( you have seen the best of Tabs and he is not going to improve given his body/spine in particular has been knocked about)

Name an AFL standard KPF who hasn’t at least had one good game by that age. The only one I can think of was Podsiadly tbh.

KPFs might reach their peak a little later but it’s not like gun KPFs are playing WAFL every week at 22 and are guns by 25. AFL standard KPFs are usually playing some good footy with little consistency minimum by 21/22 tbh.

Sturt might do ok against a younger smaller bodied side like North?
I'm still one of his biggest fans but the fwd line worked well against Brisbane and he definitely needs to find some fitness in Peel first.

He's had a limited preseason and still working back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name an AFL standard KPF who hasn’t at least had one good game by that age. The only one I can think of was Podsiadly tbh.

KPFs might reach their peak a little later but it’s not like gun KPFs are playing WAFL every week at 22 and are guns by 25. AFL standard KPFs are usually playing some good footy with little consistency minimum by 21/22 tbh.
But in reality he has only played the game for a short time, you cant compare

Brody Mihocek would be the obvious one of recent seasons. Made his debut against us as a 25yo and kicked 4 goals - but is Sebit seen as a KPF at Fremantle?

I would have thought 3rd tall at best. From what I've seen he finds space to lead into and he's quick and has a jump, where he jumps into the ball which counters a stronger defender playing from behind, and he has good conversion from set shots.

There was an interview with Geoff Valentine before one of the Peel Thunder games early last season where he talked about wanting to try him up the ground and in transition, like a high half forward.

I agree it might be a longshot for him to play an AFL game now because of how he comes back from an ACL because evasiveness in close spaces seemed to be his x-factor - his speed and the twisting and turning and finding unconventional ways to give the ball off to a teammate.

Brody Mihocek would be the obvious one of recent seasons. Made his debut against us as a 25yo and kicked 4 goals - but is Sebit seen as a KPF at Fremantle?

I would have thought 3rd tall at best. From what I've seen he finds space to lead into and he's quick and has a jump, where he jumps into the ball which counters a stronger defender playing from behind, and he has good conversion from set shots.

There was an interview with Geoff Valentine before one of the Peel Thunder games last season where he talked about wanting to try him up the ground and in transition, like a high half forward.

I agree it might be a longshot for him to play an AFL game now because of how he comes back from an ACL because evasiveness in close spaces seemed to be his x-factor - his speed and the twisting and turning and finding unconventional ways to give the ball off to a teammate.
I just think the chances with Kuek are so low at his age and what he's achieved so far. We can make all the excuses in the world but it's the reality.

Even with Mihocek he was drafted as a KPD at 25 and was pretty much AFL standard as a KPF within his first season on an AFL list.

I don't think the average fan realises how few players have a decent career if they don't play much AFL football in their few years on a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back