Remove this Banner Ad

SuperMal

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LEEDS F’jh#$@G UNITED
I watch him every night. I can’t work out if he has a liking for the nose beers or has an intellectual disability.

His delivery is nothing short of manic....but no one is home...he clearly has little to no concept of what he infers or claims.....he’s a babbling chimp.

- such as his comment a few weeks ago about “I don’t thing TG could handle lockdown’ -

If Id been TG I’d have sued.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just watched him on FF and said to the Mrs I didn't think he looked well. Starting to look a lot older and he had a bit of a greyish hue about his face.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His recent 'Tackle's is a shocker. More mentions of Max Gawn in his "Likes" than the Bulldogs, despite an equally impressive win. Complimented by criticising Bevo for a welcome condemnation of mainstream media reporting. Insecure prick.

His recent 'Tackle's is a shocker. More mentions of Max Gawn in his "Likes" than the Bulldogs, despite an equally impressive win. Complimented by criticising Bevo for a welcome condemnation of mainstream media reporting. Insecure prick.

he's just padding out the column because he has nothing of value to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's with the Herald Sun employing footy journos that are really slimy and try to create drama and use surreptitious tactics to get info? Also the same type that are really catty and try to get all personal with journos from oppositing media outlets? Robbo, Warner, Landsberger, Ralph, just to name a few.

I look over at the Age and the likes of Gleeson, Niall, Ryan all seem like genuinely nice people.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
In fairness to Jon Ralph, he's a symptom - not the disease.

The AFL really needs to stop handing out media passes like they're on the corner of Bourke and Swanston St offering The Big Issue. (Actually the people who actually do that might be better at covering the game than a lot of the current media pack). I'd guess that more people cover the AFL than Federal politics. There is absolutely no way the likes of Ralph, Robinson, Barrett, Stevens, Morris, Browne et al would have anything like the profile they have if they were covering anything other than football. The qualifications of these people are not out of the ordinary of your regular journo. They have just found themselves in a saturated, high-demand market place where the public's interest heavily outweighs its importance.

There is an absolute chasm between journalistic ability and journalistic profile when it comes to AFL football. And the chasm isn't traversed by exceptional football knowledge. So, if you got a B in VCE English, passed a Journalism course at RMIT, and are interested in football, you've found a pathway to becoming a 'celebrity' only slightly harder than being a Goggleboxer. (Don't get me wrong - I actually like Gogglebox!). Forget about football, look at the quality of the writing that any of these do - how could someone as inept as Mark Robinson ever get to the level of Chief Football Writer at the biggest paper in the biggest football market?

So what we have is a glut of journalistic lightweights, who have an undeserving profile, but who survive on the demand, not the quality of supply. They are ruled by the God of clickbait. Is it a good story? Who cares? But will it feed the news cycle for a day? The news itself doesn't contribute to a 'slow news day' - only your ability to stir news up. How would someone like Ralph go covering anything else? He wouldn't have such a profile, he wouldn't be paid by multiple media outlets, and he'd have to survive due to his ability. The game is literally getting the worst. However, the AFL are aware that all coverage is good coverage and won't/can't do a thing to fix it. But by doing nothing, they are constantly dumbing the game down .

Read some of the content that other sports get. It isn't impossible. The losers are those who want quality, not quantity, in their football coverage.

Last edited:

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
well put
I refuse to consume their product for just those sorts of reasons. Don't feed the trolls click-baiters. You really don't need to hear their scoops/dribble as soon as they send it out. If it is an actual good, informative announcement or article, then you'll hear it here anyway.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
What's with the Herald Sun employing footy journos that are really slimy and try to create drama and use surreptitious tactics to get info? Also the same type that are really catty and try to get all personal with journos from oppositing media outlets? Robbo, Warner, Landsberger, Ralph, just to name a few.

I look over at the Age and the likes of Gleeson, Niall, Ryan all seem like genuinely nice people.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry but Gleeson is a condescending wank who can’t deal with facts . His love affair with Collingwood is just embarrassing, in fact I think he’s worse than Slobbo . He had become unlistenable on the age podcast .
Niall , yeah I like him a lot .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Mike Sheahan, Patrick Smith and Carro have a lot to answer for. :grinv1: Since they doubled up on radio and tv, and were considered a success, every fa'rkin station and slot has tried to get any old hack journo on air. I dunno if Ralph writes ok, but I reckon he's ordinary on tv and radio

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry but Gleeson is a condescending wank who can’t deal with facts . His love affair with Collingwood is just embarrassing, in fact I think he’s worse than Slobbo . He had become unlistenable on the age podcast .
Niall , yeah I like him a lot .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't suppose you find Jon Ralph and Mick Warner easy to listen to on the Herald Sun footy podcast?

Or Caro on the Age?

Back