Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed; I understand football will be the main tenant but this is not just a football stadium and we need to stop thinking it should get special treatment.

Absolutely right. Stop with the special treatment and charge football a reasonable rent.
Charge football inline with other sports and stop taking the attitude that football is a cash cow.
Are other sports going to be charge more because of the great capacity ?
Are other sports going to be charge more because of the extra effort in installing seating ?
Is football going to be paid to play there like other sports because of the wealth it brings into Perth ?

Set a pricing structure and go for it or is that too simple ?

The Ashes gives Perth stadium an international prominence that footy cant.
The Ashes will be back in 4 years and I look forward to sitting in the shade for a quality game of cricket. I agree that the stadium isn't just for football however, without football there would be no stadium. So yes,Australian Football takes priority. Every day of the week, every week of the every month, every month of every year until another sport can bring in as many fans on a consistent basis.

The Ashes will be back in 4 years and I look forward to sitting in the shade for a quality game of cricket. I agree that the stadium isn't just for football however, without football there would be no stadium. So yes,Australian Football takes priority. Every day of the week, every week of the every month, every month of every year until another sport can bring in as many fans on a consistent basis.

Football should build its own stadium then. Until then, any international event that sells out the arena will do the job nicely.

Football should build its own stadium then. Until then, any international event that sells out the arena will do the job nicely.
Yeah possibly when the stadium is complete. They shouldn't be booked during three weeks preceding the Grand Final.

Would we have built a stadium for these international events if both clubs had fan bases the size of the kangas?

The_Wookie If they wanted to guarantee the Ashes was at the new stadium they should have gone with what the contractor has said. Brookfield have stated that they will be handing the keys over on January 1st 2018. Thus CA are not serious about this game being played at the new stadium and are morons. One Summer where Perth and Sydney switch because of a stadium isn't a big issue. One Summer where we play tests deeper in the new year isn't a big deal if you want the fans to come.

On the other hand one last Ashes on a bouncy WACA ain't that bad, if they put some god damn shade cloths up!

What prominence? Lived in England, they know about Perth already. Apart from England travelling fans who is it bringing to Perth, and what promotion does it bring.

It keeps the name Perth in people's minds a little bit more than otherwise, for a week maybe.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

What prominence? Lived in England, they know about Perth already. Apart from England travelling fans who is it bringing to Perth, and what promotion does it bring.

It keeps the name Perth in people's minds a little bit more than otherwise, for a week maybe.

You think England is the only place the cricket goes out to? Especially a stadium opening day 1 sellout?

It does, but it doesn't mean s**t to any internationals what the opening event is. Although an Ashes test only gets any real audience in Australia, England and probably India. Rest of the world couldn't care less.

What's also interesting is that the One dayer in January is TBA as well - that might be a better chance to get played there.

You think England is the only place the cricket goes out to? Especially a stadium opening day 1 sellout?
Watched plenty of big international events with little to no awareness (or interest) of where they were.

Is the average Indian going to come to Perth because they saw 6 hours of footage of the inside of a sports stadium?

Genuine cricket fans from England and India who might actually travel to Perth will only recognise and want to attend the WACA due to its history. They wont give a damn about a new concrete bowl.

Does anyone know why they didn't put a roof on this just in case of a Thunderstorm etc? Or to keep spectators dry if it was raining cats and dogs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care if Cricket gets the first gig. They can iron out the problems for Football.
Agreed the opening event only has relevance that day, after that who cares. However, Brookfield have stated on numerous times they are not handing the keys over until Jan 1 2018. The scheduled date. So why didn't CA listen to them if they want the test there. It's just moronic by them.

Just on capacity, WA fans say its fine and interstate fans say it should be 80k. Its either WA fans are a tad biased or we just don't understand fully. Maybe a bit of both?

Just on capacity, WA fans say its fine and interstate fans say it should be 80k. Its either WA fans are a tad biased or we just don't understand fully. Maybe a bit of both?
Because a 80k seat stadium would have a heap of empty seats most of the time..

Because a 80k seat stadium would have a heap of empty seats most of the time..
Yep, essentially no game outside of Derbies, would even go close to filling 80k, potentially finals, but you see even at the MCG for a Cats Hawks final is the only set of games in recent times which have consistently drawn close to 80k. Would be a waste at this point in time as nice as it would be to say we had an 80k stadium.

Yep, essentially no game outside of Derbies, would even go close to filling 80k, potentially finals, but you see even at the MCG for a Cats Hawks final is the only set of games in recent times which have consistently drawn close to 80k. Would be a waste at this point in time as nice as it would be to say we had an 80k stadium.

This, plus as Kwality has pointed out, 80k brings with it a dangerous beast - general admission seating.

Those empty seats will reignite the ability to just rock up to games, and this will soften the premium members are willing to pay in two ways.

Firstly in dollar value over all, as there is less competition for the finite members reserved seating.

Secondly in packages. Part of the reason for the wa premium is reserved seating. Take away the need for a reserved seat, and suddenly h11 or even h3 packages become viable with ga admission.

Biggest opponents to a larger capacity were the eagles and freo

Not to mention it would add to the cost of building the thing and in maintenance of areas of seats that don't get used all that often. Having big empty areas also ruins the atmosphere of games, I doubt Freo would break a crowd of 50k very often.
Freo wanted the Stadium capped at 50k whilst the Eagles wanted it to be 70k. From what I heard is that Freo were scared the Eagles would grow too big and quick.

Further to the capacity debate. It will be the 3rd largest stadium in Australia, and the 2nd largest (behind the MCG) used for AFL football (and Cricket). This is for a city of 2 million and the 4th most populous state.

The capacity is absolutely sufficient for now and for many years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back