Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, essentially no game outside of Derbies, would even go close to filling 80k, potentially finals, but you see even at the MCG for a Cats Hawks final is the only set of games in recent times which have consistently drawn close to 80k. Would be a waste at this point in time as nice as it would be to say we had an 80k stadium.
Derbies would sell out each year before the season begins. The clubs could offer members the chance to nominate if they want to go to the away derby. The simplicity of ticking a box and going into a ballot that if you win you're charged extra is and have derby seats is the perfect way to sell it out twice. 80k not yet. 80k in 2037 I'd say so. I know I would go to a Dockers final if that was the only game in town. I did go to both prelims in '15.

Football should build its own stadium then.

Why ? It makes much sense for the stakeholders to pool together and work together. There is a natural and historical synergy in cricket and football time-sharing an oval.

Perhaps we should do it the other way around and give the new stadium to football and build a new stadium for everything else. makes as much sense.

Last edited:
Further to the capacity debate. It will be the 3rd largest stadium in Australia, and the 2nd largest (behind the MCG) used for AFL football (and Cricket). This is for a city of 2 million and the 4th most populous state.

The capacity is absolutely sufficient for now and for many years to come.

You haven't really come up with a logical argument on capacity.
It comes down to cost/benefit. The MCG is rarely at capacity but nobody complains.
I can see an 80k stadium being filled at times in Perth but could you imagine the cost extrapolating
the cost of the present stadium. It seems we cannot afford a 60k stadium.

The Ashes gives Perth stadium an international prominence that footy cant.

So can we have the stats on that.

How many people are likely to venture interstate and overseas to see cricket above and beyond that at the WACA. How many cricket followers will be put off by cricket being played at a soulless cricket bowl ?
How many people are attracted to the Gabba, SCG, AO and the MCG specifically over locals ?
In money terms, what's the greater financial contributor in the stadia above ?

Follow international games to their logical conclusion. During an Ashes series and all.And remember that unlike the AFL, there is actually a market for international cricket tv rights.

How many people are likely to venture interstate and overseas to see cricket above and beyond that at the WACA. How many cricket followers will be put off by cricket being played at a soulless cricket bowl ?

It doesnt seem to put them off the MCG.

How many people are attracted to the Gabba, SCG, AO and the MCG specifically over locals ?

Ive no idea. And if you think its purely about the number of people who actually attend, you are sadly mistaken.

The WA Government is the greatest financial contributor. And the prime reason for building the stadium, and not selling its naming rights is to sell Perth itself to tourists and the world at large. Not just the people of Perth and AFL supporters.

Remember that Adelaide Oval opened to cricket, and no one did anywhere near the bitching going on in this thread about the possibility of it happening in Perth.

Opening the stadium 3 weeks early for an Ashes test must be a very attractive proposition for the Stadium Management. Not only that, if the stadium is ready for test cricket by 14 December then it would also be available for Big Bash domestic T20 games starting the week before Christmas. It is not just the test crowds, there's a good 7 or 8 big crowd days they could pull in by opening 3 weeks earlier than planned. The financial pressure must be on to push for it.

Heard the same arguments about F1 racing & successive Vic Govts of both colours have paid the asking price, albeit protected by commercial confidentialty.
Check out Etihad, the biggest crowd was the British Lions rugby union v Wallabies in excess of 56,000. Poms came from everywhere.
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=120

Are you unaware of the role of Tourism WA in making this stadium a reality?

On the MCG, in a earlier configuration it pulled a crowd of 120,000+:
the VFL/AFL Grand Final record attendance was an amazing 121,000 people for the 1970 decider between Carlton and Collingwood.
http://www.eventfinda.com.au/venue/melbourne-cricket-ground-melbourne
As it has been rebuilt into the configuration we have today, the capacity has been reducing.

Last edited:
Heard the same arguments about F1 racing & successive Vic Govts of both colours have paid the asking price, albeit protected by commercial confidentialty.
Check out Etihad, the biggest crowd was the British Lions rugby union v Wallabies in excess of 56,000. Poms came from everywhere.

Jfyi the math on the f1 is VERY controversial now

With the cost of hosting sky rocketing (in both set up costs and bernies fees), questions are seriously being asked if this is a genuine benefit for the Vic economy

Accusations that the "economic benefit" argument are contrived are getting louder every year.

I'm a massive gp fan, but even I concede if something doesn't change in how it's done in coming years, we should walk away

With the cost of hosting sky rocketing (in both set up costs and bernies fees), questions are seriously being asked if this is a genuine benefit for the Vic economy

Accusations that the "economic benefit" argument are contrived are getting louder every year.

I'm a massive gp fan, but even I concede if something doesn't change in how it's done in coming years, we should walk away

Also a fan of motorsport & I've been cynical from the time Vic 'Jeffed ' SA by paying more $s - that NSW continues to sniff about suggests that Vic could drop out & we'd still have F1 in Aus.
Equally that governments of both colours have criticised in Opposition renewed the contract & paid more causes me to believe the controversy is fed by the press looking for a story.

Last edited:
Also a fan of motorsport & I've been cynical from the time Vic 'Jeffed ' SA but paying more $s - that NSW continues to sniff about suggests that Vic could drop out & we'd still have F1 in Aus.
Equally that governments of both colours have criticised in Opposition renewed the contract & paid more causes me to believe the controversy is fed by the press looking for a story.

NSW bid is just noise

Bernie wants it in a good looking area, that ain't eastern creek or the Olympic precinct.

If we walk, it will most likely go to Jakarta

So you are saying Tourism WA is paying for the stadium ?
If their strategy has been so successful why are they asking so much from football ?
Can you enlighten me on what Tourism WA is trying to achieve on a cost/numbers/benefits statistical basis ?

Last edited:
Ive no idea.

Fair enough. So nobody can really evaluate how effective this strategy can be.
From my experience people don't come to Perth because of the cost - pure and simple.
The mechanics of the situation is 22 AFL games and cricket test matches.
How many events are required to match that income ?
How many events can we reasonably expect to hold ?
Is the stadium management going to be open to holding lesser events like WAFL GF etc ?

And it's a lot different than hosting an at-most three hour event. Perth is a really nice city but it struggles to attract tourists on it's own right. That's because of cost of getting here, absence of of modest accommodation and the lack of an iconic attraction. My understanding is that the best tourism to Perth is currently from the Asia region and the addition of a sport's attraction would be a non-event. Flights from the RSA are horrendously expensive.You might get Brits for one event for two football codes and cricket. Where's the rest coming from ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the MCG, in a earlier configuration it pulled a crowd of 120,000+:
the VFL/AFL Grand Final record attendance was an amazing 121,000 people for the 1970 decider between Carlton and Collingwood.
http://www.eventfinda.com.au/venue/melbourne-cricket-ground-melbourne
As it has been rebuilt into the configuration we have today, the capacity has been reducing.

Have a look at that game in 1970, gee it is good footy to watch.

So open, absolute pleasure to watch.

And it's a lot different than hosting an at-most three hour event. Perth is a really nice city but it struggles to attract tourists on it's own right. That's because of cost of getting here, absence of of modest accommodation and the lack of an iconic attraction. My understanding is that the best tourism to Perth is currently from the Asia region and the addition of a sport's attraction would be a non-event. Flights from the RSA are horrendously expensive.You might get Brits for one event for two football codes and cricket. Where's the rest coming from ?

Perth would get some decent footy tourism , but needs a third team so every 3rd weekend there are 2 AFL games on, just a bit far away, unlike Adelaide which is close enough just to see one game.

Eco tourism is big, but you need more than a weekend.

Every one from Perth who goes to Melbourne for a football weekend sees more than one game, thousands upon thousands of sandgropers make the pilgrimage every year, be interested to see what the reverse traffic is, 2 games makes it more viable IMO.

Girls shopping, boys football, everyone pubs and restaurants.

You have to build something similar in Perth

** edit - every second weekend, not 3rd

Last edited:
Does anyone know why they didn't put a roof on this just in case of a Thunderstorm etc? Or to keep spectators dry if it was raining cats and dogs?

It's not really necessary. Most years there are maybe 3 or 4 games affected by rain - 2016 was well and truly an outlier for rainy games. Almost all the seats are undercover which is sufficient.

So you are saying Tourism WA is paying for the stadium ?
If their strategy has been so successful why are they asking so much from football ?
Can you enlighten me on what Tourism WA is trying to achieve on a cost/numbers/benefits statistical basis ?

No, I did not say Tourism WA is paying for the new stadium, I asked if you were aware of its role & clearly you are not - you could google it.
http://www.tourism.wa.gov.au/Pages/Search.aspx#/search-params/?keywords=Perth Stadium

Tourism WA is unlikely to be involved in setting the rent for footy.

No, I don't have access to the numbers Tourism WA hope the new stadium will achieve, & my comments are relevant to the opening of the new stadium, they'd prefer an international event.

Last edited:
Perth would get some decent footy tourism , but needs a third team so every 3rd weekend there are 2 AFL games on, just a bit far away, unlike Adelaide which is close enough just to see one game.

Eco tourism is big, but you need more than a weekend.

Every one from Perth who goes to Melbourne for a football weekend sees more than one game, thousands upon thousands of sandgropers make the pilgrimage every year, be interested to see what the reverse traffic is, 2 games makes it more viable IMO.

Girls shopping, boys football, everyone pubs and restaurants.

You have to build something similar in Perth

Went to Adelaide for the last Eagles Crows game, saw the game Fri night, back to Melbourne Sunday evening. My observation is SA is doing tourism very well.
Its up to Tourism WA to support advertising games they believe will draw interstate fans - the Gold Coast has promoted games in Vic in the past.

Fair enough. So nobody can really evaluate how effective this strategy can be.
From my experience people don't come to Perth because of the cost - pure and simple.
The mechanics of the situation is 22 AFL games and cricket test matches.
How many events are required to match that income ?
How many events can we reasonably expect to hold ?
Is the stadium management going to be open to holding lesser events like WAFL GF etc ?

You may need to think outside the square, see where the crowds at Etihad Stadium have come from:

Attendance[edit]

* Stadium capacity capped at 42,000 for the Speedway Grand Prix

You may need to think outside the square, see where the crowds at Etihad Stadium have come from:

Attendance[edit]................

So in Melbourne you have three concerts.
So in Melbourne you have a small ODI 38K. Is that even profitable.
So in Melbourne you have an AL. Do you know how small the AL is in Perth
So in Melbourne you have SOO. Like, how many Sydney people are going to travel to Perth ?
So in Melbourne you have RU. How many rugby people are going to travel to Perth ?
So in Melbourne you have an AFL game. What's that do in the list ?
So in Melbourne you have a small NRL game of 33k. Perth doesn't even have a NRL team.
So in Melbourne you have a big IR game. It's big in Perth AND it's in the AFL camp right!!!!
So in Melbourne you have you have 43k to a BBL game. Again, is that profitable ?
So in Melbourne you have motorsport. WTF is that doing in the list?

So you have 3 concerts that could be played at Subiaco or the Entertianment Centre.
So you have 2 games in the AFL camp.
So you have 1 small game in the cricket camp.
So you have 2 small games in AL and NRL that aren't going to do it in Perth.
So you have 1 event that is motorsport that cannot use the stadium.
That leaves a high profile RU match and a SOO.

Where's your event strategy ???

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back