Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

According to 6pr the lost time consisted of 2 lost days, on a weekend.

How those 2 days translated in a delay of months has me stuffed.
When planning schedules, you'd also have to factor in poor weather, to not do so is a failure. Honestly, I'm sure they have and we haven't exceeded that buffer due to the superb weather we've had. They're running behind, even with their local manufacturers, and they're trying to make absurd excuses.

Why tf do they need a fancy looking bridge anyway? People who use it are just going to see concrete, so why bother giving it the fancy touches? It’s just a bridge FFS.

That's what I was thinking too. A simple cable stayed bridge with straight lines would be quicker to build and can still look elegant enough. But somebody felt the need to make it an artistic statement. We'll see what it looks like when it is finished I guess.

Hmm 35k or so by looks of it
Would have thought there would have been a better turn out today as North are a reasonable side formwise. I know the weather has been lousy here but not too bad today with just a few showers compared to what it's been like the last couple of days. Probably many of Freo supporters decided to watch the game in the comfort of their lounge rooms.

And it's pretty much official now, North Melbourne are the first Victorian team and 2nd visitor after the Swans to win at Perth Stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got my ticket for the eagles vs bulldogs game, $99 for ground level 25 rows back on fifty metre line. Paid about $90 for a ticket when they played at Subiaco so not to bothered by the price.

Will do a tour of the stadium on the friday before the game.

Bridge is still a way off:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...rth-stadium-suffers-yet-another-delay/9790806
Transport Minister Rita Saffioti has confirmed the May target would not be met, with the 370-metre-long Matagarup Bridge now expected to open at the end of June.

She said there was "still a chance" the bridge would be ready in time for the stadium's first Thursday night game, on June 21.

A good mate of mine has been working on the bridge, and he confirmed this, saying that they are really cracking the whip to have it completed in time for the Thursday night game V the Bombers. Personally he believes they will have to be pretty lucky with the weather to make the dead line, a lot of concrete still needs to be poured onto the walking decks - and dry - for it to be ready

coming together.jpg
- the coming together of the 2 bridge sections...

walking deck.jpg
- first section of the walking deck going into place

Last edited:
Worth commenting that the trains were working a lot better on Sunday - no doubt partly because there were less people attending, but also that they went a lot quicker between the stadium and the city. I believe all midland line trains didn't stop at McIver or Claisebrook during that time which would have helped the stadium trains flow a lot quicker. It still wasn't brilliant, but it was light years ahead of where it was for the first few events.

But I reckon it also shows that if they can get 10-15,000 people parking in East Perth and taking the pressure off the trains then it's all going to work a lot better when there are 50k+ attending.

That's all well and good, but I just don't think an abstract representation of that on a bridge is a good tribute at all.

We have enough "functional" structure in Perth. Having something that looks appealing both from on the bridge and from the water is a good idea.

Happy for my taxes to go to it.

Did a tour of the bridges of Budapest - beautiful. In fact it was one of the major reasons I visited.

My Auskick son with eagles support been offered a free ticket to tomorrow's game. The other week they were giving away 3 free kids tix when an adult bought one.

Can safely say setting aside so many tix for public is a failure. Get them into the hands of members instead. Derby and 1v2 on ladder the only games to sell out. Was so obvious that public wouldn't want to pay to watch terrible sides like St Kilda. People who go to 1 or 2 games a year just aren't going to pay to watch non events.

Pricing also an issue. I really hope membership prices don't go up next year. The whole pricing structure probably deserves to come down if anything.

View attachment 505441

looking at the infill they have done ,i wonder if it would have been cheaper to just fill in both sides to the same extent as they have on the right side on the photo above, and then just had a small bridge in the middle.....
Not sure if that will stay, I would imagine it will be removed once completed?

View attachment 505441

looking at the infill they have done ,i wonder if it would have been cheaper to just fill in both sides to the same extent as they have on the right side on the photo above, and then just had a small bridge in the middle.....
What is the flow rate of the Swan River? They have almost dammed it up to build that bridge. It isn't that complicated a built is it that they need all that land fill to build it?? Or has a fancy design complicated a basic walking bridge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back