Roast Peter Bell

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going back over this again in full but if you really think it was hindsight you can find my posting history.

At least Taylor and I and possibly others shared reservations over trading for him with the foot.

At least me and possibly others mentioned concerns with his mentality given almost all of his good performances came against lesser teams (especially 2018) and his inability to convert from >40m

Then once he got here and we found out about the mental health/off field crap I immediately called the club out of the horrible decision to trade for him and I reckon you could probably find a post from me in early/mid 2019 saying he'll be a bust.

I am giving zero latitude to the decision makers on this one. Exactly zero.

I don't blame Jesse and I have no idea re his rehab so I won't comment.
Plenty have fully recovered from navicular injuries and continued their careers with proper management. Likewise, a successful AFL career is fully possible if mental health issues are properly managed.

There are many reasons as to why a particular decision doesn't work out that occur after the decision is made. It doesn't necessarily invalidate the reasoning behind the decision itself.

There was plenty of sound reasoning to support his recruitment.

About 10 years ago on the cliffs overlooking Uluwatu, at a dear friends wedding, an old friend put his finger in my chest and told me to pick up the sunglasses i had accidentally knocked off his head, when I said no, my girlfriend at the time (who was dancing with me), reached down to pick them up for him and sensing what she was about to do I swiftly toe-poked them out of her grasp and over the edge of said cliffs, angered he shoved me in the chest and then I acted out of character and held one of the 14 margherita glasses i'd recently emptied to his throat and marched him backwards until our dear friends overpowered me...

...nothing like that had happened before or since... I worked hard so that those demons would lose their desperate grip on my spirit...

...the people I met at that wedding for the first and last time would have a pretty wildly inaccurate idea of the kind of character I possess.

Those that know me intimately know the truth.

I guess what I'm saying J Docker is dont discount the chance that maybe you met Belly at his absolute lowest of lows and that seeing your arsecrack hanging out actually immediately precluded a turning point in his life, one for which he will be eternally grateful for.
Your missing the point.

I don't care about what happened. The funny thing was he actually came down our footy club 3 weeks later to join in/take the lesson.

My issue was that for some reason or another some people on here decided to take the piss and call bullshit on something that wasn't up for opinions.

That's all. Moving on.

Plenty have fully recovered from navicular injuries and continued their careers with proper management. Likewise, a successful AFL career is fully possible if mental health issues are properly managed.

There are many reasons as to why a particular decision doesn't work out that occur after the decision is made. It doesn't necessarily invalidate the reasoning behind the decision itself.

There was plenty of sound reasoning to support his recruitment.
Re Navicular: Yes, which is why I wanted us to wait until 2019 to give the foot a chance.

Let's agree to disagree on the rest.

What’s most annoying is that we are the only team that has ever made a ’mistake’ in our trading.

in separate news did I read something about Jack Steven today?

I saw Peter Bell at a grocery store in Fremantle yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
******* never gets old

What’s most annoying is that we are the only team that has ever made a ’mistake’ in our trading.

in separate news did I read something about Jack Steven today?

If we traded in Hogan for pick 58 there would be a lot less angst towards the club.

Come home ....
Come home ....
Come home to the club that needs all its past foot soldiers to move us up the ladder again.

MNM, you do realise that Mr Bell, his wife and all of both of their families are from WA? Pete grew up playing for South Fremantle.

He is home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it embarrassing? Because we haven't even made finals for most of our history? I agree if we'd just made a prelim it would make more sense. But if you think that this Hogan debacle hasn't cost the club A LOT, then you're just plain ignorant.

so let me get this straight, your complaining that Fremantle have a long history of not making finals and have brought in a long line of players with various issues to try and win our first premiership including Tarrant, slyvia, McCarthy, Bennell, Hogan etc which clearly hasn’t worked out. Then we get a football manager who says we got it wrong, we are not going to stand for this as a club and cut ties with these players who don’t want to put in effort.

I’m just a little confused do you wanna continue to except mediocrity or try something new and actually put club culture first ? I know personally I’m all for trying something new because what we have done previously which is turning a blind eye to these sort of players certainly hasn’t worked.

Our history as a club suggests that we are far better off drafting players in the 3rd/4th round compared to high profile players that we trade in. The future should be all about 'no risks' and playing the percentages. Drafting an Apeness who had dodgy knees and then has to retire early due to dodgy knees just can't be part of our recruitment makeup any more. Draft solid citizens that are grounded individuals who are obsessed with the game.

so let me get this straight, your complaining that Fremantle have a long history of not making finals and have brought in a long line of players with various issues to try and win our first premiership including Tarrant, slyvia, McCarthy, Bennell, Hogan etc which clearly hasn’t worked out. Then we get a football manager who says we got it wrong, we are not going to stand for this as a club and cut ties with these players who don’t want to put in effort.

I’m just a little confused do you wanna continue to except mediocrity or try something new and actually put club culture first ? I know personally I’m all for trying something new because what we have done previously which is turning a blind eye to these sort of players certainly hasn’t worked.
Some people can find the silver lining in any cloud.

Our history as a club suggests that we are far better off drafting players in the 3rd/4th round compared to high profile players that we trade in. The future should be all about 'no risks' and playing the percentages. Drafting an Apeness who had dodgy knees and then has to retire early due to dodgy knees just can't be part of our recruitment makeup any more. Draft solid citizens that are grounded individuals who are obsessed with the game.
Even at the time all the draft experts (self appointed or otherwise) said the Apeness pick was a reach.

How many nooses do you guys want? Just three for Bell, Rosich and Ross, or are we hanging more people? Need to know for the gallows I'm building on Freo oval.

It sucks that Hogan didn't work out for us, but we're not the only club that has had a trade go wrong and we've actually decided on a direction as a club (committing to a longer rebuild of the list rather than making high-risk trades to force an earlier flag.) We've got a promising core of young players as well. It's not the end of the world.

How many nooses do you guys want? Just three for Bell, Rosich and Ross, or are we hanging more people? Need to know for the gallows I'm building on Freo oval.

It sucks that Hogan didn't work out for us, but we're not the only club that has had a trade go wrong and we've actually decided on a direction as a club (committing to a longer rebuild of the list rather than making high-risk trades to force an earlier flag.) We've got a promising core of young players as well. It's not the end of the world.
Fair enough if they were against or even cautious on the trade but its a bit rich if they were celebrating the deal themselves at the time.

Fair enough if they were against or even cautious on the trade but its a bit rich if they were celebrating the deal themselves at the time.

I, for one, am an advocate of going back to the Jesse thread and hanging anyone positive on the deal. The reign of terror shall begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back