Toast Pick #10 - Welcome to Carlton Lochie O'Brien!

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps my memory and age do me a disservice here, but did Hodge and McLeod spend their core years playing as defensive rebounders?

Feel like that may have been a late-career transition.

When you say midfield, do you mean starting in the centre square in the thick of stoppages? How about the receivers on the outside?

im not sure the inside/outside distinctions apply like they once did.

Put it this way, where would LOB play in the Tigers midfield?

If he developed to his absolute best I can kind of see the argument for a Gaff role but I simply don't think that's realistic.

Playing in the midfield?

So because it hasn’t happened in the first 13 games of his career, you don’t think it’ll happen?

Did you think Fisher would develop into a midfielder? He barely stepped foot into the midfield in his debut season.

LOB will be a damaging wingman that will find enough of his own ball.

Not suggesting the same player, but in the mould of a Gaff/Smith

His kicking will be considered elte

I see him as a Gaff-like player for sure. He obviously has a ways to go but he has all the same attributes.

Can find the ball, elite field kick and can run all day. I don't see him being completely uncontested either, he has a dip and at his size you wouldn't blame him for being a little cautious at times.

Just wait til he gets a bit more strength after a few preseasons and he will be breaking tackles with his running power.

I was a bit worried that he wasn't the right pick for us when he was initially drafted but those fears are no more.

He's a gun. Far exceeding expectations this year, that's for sure.

im not sure the inside/outside distinctions apply like they once did.

Put it this way, where would LOB play in the Tigers midfield?

If he developed to his absolute best I can kind of see the argument for a Gaff role but I simply don't think that's realistic.

It's difficult to see now because Richmond essentially don't play anybody skinny in their team, it would * up their gameplan.
There actually isn't anybody like him on their team, they've brought a new brand where everyone is thick and tough but not so skilful.

So because it hasn’t happened in the first 13 games of his career, you don’t think it’ll happen?

Did you think Fisher would develop into a midfielder? He barely stepped foot into the midfield in his debut season.
Whatever man.
I see a good ball user coming out of the backline you see a midfielder.
We just need them all to be very good.

Whatever man.

I'm sure he could do both, but we've drafted him with the intention of him being more a wingman in the Gaff mould. Pretty sure that's what was mentioned around draft time.

I have both eyes open that’s the difference. What I see is a young footballer having a crack that will hopefully develop into a 200 gamer.
Someone has a different opinion to you therefore they must have one eye closed. Such a compelling argument. Do you have any other pearlers?

Someone has a different opinion to you therefore they must have one eye closed. Such a compelling argument. Do you have any other pearlers?
I disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever man.

I didn't say I see him as a midfielder, just wanted clarification as to why you don't.

The fact he hasn't spent much time yet in the midfield isn't a great indicator IMO. He's an 18 year old kid in his first year at the club.

I didn't say I see him as a midfielder, just wanted clarification as to why you don't.

The fact he hasn't spent much time yet in the midfield isn't a great indicator IMO. He's an 18 year old kid in his first year at the club.
No worries.

Do you have an opinion on where you think he might end up?

He plays nothing like josh Kelly.Mentioned this on a group chat with the guys that I sit with at every game ( same group since the late seventies) and they all laughed at what a ridiculous comparison that is.
It's good you and your friends have an opinion.

The blind faith here reminds me of a one eyed supporter that once told me he thought Sam Cranage was the next Greg Williams
I said he plays Josh Kelly STYLE i didn't say he was as good. Try and understand posts before you give a negative reply.

I've been really impressed with his two way running and I find that positive outways his lack of a strong inside game. A Gaff type would be perfect for us imo.
I was actually talking about this to a mate the other day and he told me Gaff was getting 30 touch games in his first season. I didn't believe that so I looked it up and he was right. Quite remarkable really.

I've been really impressed with his two way running and I find that positive outways his lack of a strong inside game. A Gaff type would be perfect for us imo.
I was actually talking about this to a mate the other day and he told me Gaff was getting 30 touch games in his first season. I didn't believe that so I looked it up and he was right. Quite remarkable really.
Except it's not.
2018 Eagles 17 18.1 13.0 31.1
2017 Eagles 24 17.2 12.5 29.7
2016 Eagles 22 16.9 12.9 29.9
2015 Eagles 25 16.6 12.9 29.5
2014 Eagles 22 15.6 8.6 24.3
2013 Eagles 22 12.1 7.8 19.9
2012 Eagles 24 15.6 9.0 24.6
2011 Eagles 17 10.1 7.7 17.8

Gaff was getting an extra 4 possessions a game in a top for side compared with LOB in the bottom side

IMO he could play the Simmo role quite well. Not sure how he would go shutting down a small/mid sized forward though. Not his go.

He is being groomed/seen as a midfielder so we will see what happens

Club would not have drafted him at 10 with a view of him being a defender

He is a future midfielder all day long

Club would not have drafted him at 10 with a view of him being a defender

He is a future midfielder all day long

Yep. Next year we will have Cripps Kennedy Curnow maybe Miles that can handle the inside work. Dow/SPS are both outside/inside. Then to have Fisher O'Brien Pickett on the outside, the Charlie X factor, Doc/Willo/Cunners/Byrne running off HB looks very good to me. The balance is there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back