BlueTongue

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
#Teague2020
I'm thinking that's exactly what could happen.

I'd say Adelaide went early on Pyke to stop the mass exodus. Pending identity of the new coach I can see a few rumoured players changing their minds.
Unless these players are well entrenched in Adelaide life (the city) I thinks it's too late. they should have sacked him mid season so the players could get used to the new coach and/or possible replacements. the big unknown (players worrying about where they stand with a new coach) would deter a lot from staying i'd suspect.

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ll ask this here, cause I’d probably get carded on Crows board but I’m curious and it effects Freo too.

With the clubs now having to tell assistant coaches if they will be resigned for the following year by 31st August, so what happens for the new senior coach coming in? If they want their own assistants, the club would obviously be able to pay out the assistants they guaranteed for next year, but as that would come under the football department cap, this has to make it a lot harder for whoever gets either job and the club to the get the team of coaches they want.

Adelaide & Freo can afford it, but their are a lot of clubs that may not be able to afford the extra tax

zeggie

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.
Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Made a scapegoat imo so that Roo and his boys club can largely remain intact.
Think it was too late by now tho. No way to recover the situation with Pyke staying.

If Roo & Co survive their "internal review" currently being undetaken then nothing will change. I'd be scared to apply for the head gig there. They'll have to go internal.

zeggie

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.
Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
so what happens for the new senior coach coming in? If they want their own assistants,
They have to make do. You wouldn't want an entire clean sweep as a new coach anyways. You would want some staff with relationships with players to remain. You transistion staff out over the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Think it was too late by now tho. No way to recover the situation with Pyke staying.

If Roo & Co survive their "internal review" currently being undetaken then nothing will change. I'd be scared to apply for the head gig there. They'll have to go internal.
Going internal or bringing in one of Roo's mates and ex-players is exactly what they want to do anyway

Top Bottom