Prediction Pick the 2018 Defence

Pick 7 defenders

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been plenty of discussion on the best 22 thread as to the makeup of our defensive unit next year.

We have had Lever be true to his name & Smith unfortunately likely out for the whole season, so who gets an opportunity?

My backline is.
B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Milera, Hartigan, Laird
I: Kelly

Doedee to replace Lever after a strong SANFL season... though I see Keath also playing many games with a horses for course approach.

Milera to replace Smith as our new creater to set up play from the backline, given he is arguably our best ball user.

We've never once played Seedsman in the back half since his been here, not even when players are out injured.

Milera is an interesting one but I feel he's filling the Douglas 2017 role - training as a half back for some of the preseason before resuming their normal position for the whole season.

Talia-Hartigan-Keath just feels too tall and immobile to me. Will suit some opponents but many seem to be going with quicker more agile line ups so I can't see it working consistently. Doesn't mean we won't go with it though. Otten is the closest like for like Lever replacement. Doedee a bit shorter but I'd love to see him get a shot.

We've never once played Seedsman in the back half since his been here, not even when players are out injured.

Milera is an interesting one but I feel he's filling the Douglas 2017 role - training as a half back for some of the preseason before resuming their normal position for the whole season.

Talia-Hartigan-Keath just feels too tall and immobile to me. Will suit some opponents but many seem to be going with quicker more agile line ups so I can't see it working consistently. Doesn't mean we won't go with it though. Otten is the closest like for like Lever replacement. Doedee a bit shorter but I'd love to see him get a shot.
Seedsman played in the backline in the 2nd half comeback against the Pies, when we switched Otten forward... & he provided plenty of drive missing in the 1st half.

JJ also was handy up around the wing to allow Otten to move up forward.

Just goes to show it is worth making changes when things aren't working...

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Laird - Hartigan - Milera
I Kelly

Though I'm not against ditching Kelly for more rebound.

Under absolutely no circumstances should Mackay play in defence ever. He should not replace Smith.
Did you vote, as Milera only has the 1 vote I gave him?

Looking at the results it appears that Talia, Brown, Laird, Kelly and Hartigan are locked in. I would then say that there is some debate about whether Doedee or Keath will fill the 6th slot but both wont be in the final seven. That means the final slot will be a bum fight between Gibson, Seedsman, Cheney, Douglas and Milera.

I have opted for Gibson but I also like Seedsman and maybe Dougie. I think that Cheney will not get a go this year unless injuries prevail. I have a lot of doubt about Milera winning a permanent spot anywhere on the field.

So at this stage I dont believe the final seven is settled but I would consider: Talia, Brown, Laird, Kelly, Hartigan, Doedee and Gibson

Maybe we should try Jenkins at Full Back ??? ....that way he doesn't even have to pretend to chase...Resulting in one less loose man for the opposition :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping Patrick Wilson has a cracker pre season and takes Brodie Smiths place. Precision kicking, accuracy and he can roost the ball a long way.
I would like him in my best 22 over Keith, Otten and Milera.
I hadn't included Wilson in my thinking ... but he is a real chance. Seedsman and he might be in a battle for that 7th defender spot.

Doedee, Keath and Wilson added means a big change though - and AFC don't often do that without really strong reasons.

Kelly - Talia - Brown
Laird - Doedee - Keath
7th = Wilson / Seedsman

That means:

Hartigan REPLACED BY Keath
Lever REPLACED BY Doedee
Smith REPLACED BY Wilson / Seedsman

It definitely changes the dynamic as I feel Keath is better skilled and has more pace than Hartigan ... Doedee could be a more complete defender than Lever ... Wilson / Seedsman are probably both better straight out defenders than Smith (but with less upside up the field)

I doubt we would have that many changes in the back half, but maybe it's possible.

Yes that would be my possible back line, Keath for Doedee looks better for me.
Wilson was in the SANFL Team of the year, Mattner as a mentor, already building a tank for the midfield and likes to throw his body around.
I think Adelaide has done an exceptional job picking Wilson up as a rookie.

Last edited:
Easy to pick 5 absolute locks

Kelly Harto Talia Brown laird all proven to be top 18 players without question

Leaving one position left

Then players who have played a fair bit of afl

Hampton
Seedsman
Gibson
Otten
Cheney

Then players who have had a taste of AFL

Keath
Milera

Then the untried newbie

Doedee

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's been training in Smith's role as a deliverer off HB.
Mmmm, okay ... I wouldn't have thought he was in line for that role at all? He is a great user of the footy, but put him in the backline and he would get owned most days of the week ... in my humble opinion :)

I think his skill set is a receiver - evader - deliverer, would put him on the wing. I don't see "defending an opponent" on his CV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to pick 5 absolute locks

Kelly Harto Talia Brown laird all proven to be top 18 players without question

Leaving one position left

Then players who have played a fair bit of afl

Hampton
Seedsman
Gibson
Otten
Cheney

Then players who have had a taste of AFL

Keath
Milera

Then the untried newbie

Doedee

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So rather than sitting on the fence, who are your 7 Marty?

Back