Pick the top 10 players of all time from the 'Big 4' states of Australian Rules-Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia & Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmania:
1. Royce Hart
2. Ian Stewart
3. Peter Hudson
4. Doc Baldock
5. Horrie Gorringe
6. John Leedham
7. Verdun Howell
8. Matthew Richardson
9. Brent Crosswell
10. Alastair Lynch

Top 4 are as good as any other state, and could be put in any order, I have Hart and Stewart purely because they're in the AFL team of the century, but I have heard many a fable about all 4 (epecially Doc, haha). I look forward to having a competitive league in Tassie again, fuelled by the AFL team, and kids that want to play in it.

Tasmania:
1. Royce Hart
2. Ian Stewart
3. Peter Hudson
4. Doc Baldock
5. Horrie Gorringe
6. John Leedham
7. Verdun Howell
8. Matthew Richardson
9. Brent Crosswell
10. Alastair Lynch

Top 4 are as good as any other state, and could be put in any order, I have Hart and Stewart purely because they're in the AFL team of the century, but I have heard many a fable about all 4 (epecially Doc, haha). I look forward to having a competitive league in Tassie again, fuelled by the AFL team, and kids that want to play in it.

Can’t say I know too many of the older guys, but I’m surprised that you couldn’t fit either of the Riewoldts in.

I would have thought Jack as a 3 time premiership player, 3 time AA, 3 time Coleman Medalist might have been above Lynch. Where would rate Nick and Jack?

Can’t say I know too many of the older guys, but I’m surprised that you couldn’t fit either of the Riewoldts in.

I would have thought Jack as a 3 time premiership player, 3 time AA, 3 time Coleman Medalist might have been above Lynch. Where would rate Nick and Jack?
Yeah, Jack has probably lept up my list to be honest. I think I've been calling this my top 10 for a while 🤣

Victoria:

1. Haydn Bunton
2. Bob Skilton
3. Dick Reynolds
4. Ted Whitten sr
5. John Coleman
6. Leigh Matthews
7. Gordon Coventry
8. Gary Ablett sr
9. Gary Ablett jr
10. Wayne Carey
Carey is from Wagga. Played some junior football at North Adelaide but pretty hard to classify him as Victorian

South Australia
1.Barrie Robran
2.Russell Ebert
3.Ken Farmer
4.Craig Bradley
5.Malcolm Blight
6.Stephen Kernahan
7. Nathan Buckley
8.Scottt Hodges
9.Tony Modra
10. Rick Davies
McIntosh D.Jarman Mcleod Riccutio could comfortably fit in the top 10 too

Apart from putting a list together of the top 10 players of all time from each of the 4 major states of Australian Rules-Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania-if you were also picking an all time team to represent each of the 4 states mentioned above in a 'dream' interstate/State of Origin series, who would be pulling on the Big V, the red gold and blue of SA, the black swan of WA and the map of Tasmania jumpers respectively?

SA

K.Farmer
P.Bagshaw
B. Robran
R.Ebert
P. Carey
R.Davies
J.Platten
G.McIntosh
M.Blight
S.Kernahan

Tasmania:
1. Royce Hart
2. Ian Stewart
3. Peter Hudson
4. Doc Baldock
5. Horrie Gorringe
6. John Leedham
7. Verdun Howell
8. Matthew Richardson
9. Brent Crosswell
10. Alastair Lynch

No Nash?

Was wondering how long it would take to see Darren's name :oops:
He was good in the AFL obviously, but in the late eighties for North Adelaide he was sublime. I remember rather dejectedly watching him absolutely carve the Redlegs up at Footy park. He booted a goal from the half forward flank on the run that day that I will always remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fair few of these names appearing are genuine s**t blokes EG Barry Cable, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Snr, Cresswell, Cousins etc.

Would make for compelling reading if they made both top 10 state players and 10 state s**t blokes. D
I think you meant Crosswell as in Brent Croswell.
Yes , he isn't the nicest fella. He was my teacher at school back in the 80's. s**t bloke which is a shame coz I had him up in my pedestal being a carlton supporter

WA
Ken Hunter
Mike Fitzpatrick
Syd Jackson
Peter Bosustow
Ern Henfry
Patrick Cripps
Earl Spalding
Warren Ralph
Wayne Blackwell
Ross Ditchburn

SA
Stephen Kernahan
Craig Bradley
Peter Motley
Andrew McKay
Robert Klomp
Scott Camporeale
Eddie Betts
Mark Naley
Phil Maylin
Bryce Gibbs

Victoria
Bruce Doull
John Nicholls
Soapy Vallence
Wayne Johnston
Stephen Silvagni
Greg Williams
Chris Judd
David Mckay
Anthony Koutoufides
Geoff Southby

Tasmania
Brent Crosswell
John Goold
Percy Jones
Simon Minton-Connell
James Cook
Brad Pearce
Mitch Robinson
Simon Wiggins
Levi Casboult
Liam Jones

ACT
Alex Jesaulenko
Aaron Hamill
Peter Kenny

Tasmania:

1 Darrell Baldock
2 Peter Hudson
3 Ian Stewart
4 Royce Hart
5 Horrie Gorringe
6 Rex Garwood
7 John Leedham
8 Neil Conlan

9 Terry Cashion
10 Verdun Howell
Was umming and uhhing over the two Allans - Leitch and Rait...

The exploits of the modern day players such as Riewoldt, Richardson, Pritchard, Roach, etc...they're good but none stand out as better than contemporaries from other states. Put it this way, it's rough but you'd be accurate calling them fillers in a list like this, and a top ten Tassie lineup doesn't need any, especially when you're saying all-time with no restriction on where or when. It's been a while since we've had someone who you'd look at and say "he's the best in Australia against similar players", probably none since Hudson retired in 1979...but those local old timers mainlanders have never heard of are the equivalents of your legendary George Doig, Stephen Michael, Ken Farmer or Russell Ebert types...

Those guys above with lengthy careers in Tassie and not the VFL/AFL, like Gorringe, Garwood, Cashion, Leedham and Conlan, were playing at a time when Tasmanian clubs not only could match their interstate counterparts, but the individual players starred in carnivals and were widely regarded as being right up there as Australian elite. Those with lengthy VFL careers are more obvious, starring in that comp...

Last edited:
Nah he's actually from Navan, north-west of Dublin.
Fair call on the top10 however.
3068312_1_articlesmall_Screenshot_202022-06-21_20162517.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back