Players still liked by their former club

Remove this Banner Ad

I like this thread. I can feel the love.

Actually have a soft spot for Mitch Robinson. Would have him in the trenches with me at any battle from Waterloo to Baghdad. It was his blind loyalty to his mate Jeffy that got him kicked out, coupled with an inability to tell a decent lie.

Don't miss his blind bombs to the opposition, do miss his kamikaze attack on the footy.

Waite, Garlett, Grigg and Jacobs can all go jump. Laidler? Meh.

Wasn't Garlett shoved out by Malthouse though? Primus kicked Chad out and we all still love him here.
NOt sure what went down exactly, but certainly Jeffy did not want to play for MM. Nonetheless he totally went missing on his team mates in his last season and then got us a worthless pick in trade because of his attitude.

We love him too.:)
Underrated talent too. Skills are decent, hardness elite, only his footy brain that lets him down sometimes but thats part of the old school package.

Don't know if you saw his debut, he kicked three in front of a big crowd against Richmond at the G, think we won too, but one of his goals Fev was absolutely demanding him to pass it and Robbo went nah, I got this, and he did, followed by an epic celebration.

I hate that Barry Hall retired from football because he was worried he was going to kill someone on the field if he didn't get help with his anger management issues, (more or less his precise words) and then after a not very long time at all he popped up at the Bulldogs with no explanation as to the basis of his miracle cure.

Other than that I don't hate any former Swans.

I don't even hate Barry, I just hate that someone was bullshitting.

I hate that Barry Hall retired from football because he was worried he was going to kill someone on the field if he didn't get help with his anger management issues, (more or less his precise words) and then after a not very long time at all he popped up at the Bulldogs with no explanation as to the basis of his miracle cure.

I share a hometown with Brent Staker and I believe he's the first person ever sanctioned for whacking one of the Stakers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always liked Ted Richards at Sydney.
This.
Wanganeen going to Port probably hurt me the most but I still love him.
This.
Out of current players I'd like to see Crameri go well
This.
same can't be said about the other two
Not this. Will always have a soft spot for Gus, and hope he does well (as much as I dislike port and their knobhead president these days).
Paddy can get ****ed. No love there I'm afraid.

Kane Johnson!

Loved him as a crow, was my favorite player back then.. strangely enough he never seemed to hit the same heights as a player when playing for the tigers.

Pretty sure Hall was pushed out. Once he hit Truck Rutten in 2009 it was the end as far as Roos was concerned. You can be bitter about how he couldn't control himself, but Barry is on record saying he wanted to stay at the Swans post 2009, yet wasn't given the chance.

Pretty sure Hall was pushed out. Once he hit Truck Rutten in 2009 it was the end as far as Roos was concerned. You can be bitter about how he couldn't control himself, but Barry is on record saying he wanted to stay at the Swans post 2009, yet wasn't given the chance.

Yeah this is how I thought it all went down too.

I wasn't bitter he couldn't control himself, I was bitter he made out like he was choosing to leave the game entirely before he killed someone (which from memory were near enough to his exact words at his presser announcing it), and then when he bobbed up at the Dogs, most of the press coverage was along the bland lines of "Barry Hall says he's in a much better place now" "Barry Hall really wants to get back on the paddock" etc, but with no elaboration of how he recovered so quickly from a character defect so troubling he'd had to leave the game entirely. I mean, most people would want to know the basis of his miracle cure, wouldn't you think?

He may well have opened out about it later on, as you say; I'd tuned out by then.

I'm forever chill that Dale Thomas left Collignwood for multiple reasons:
- If I were offered that kind of coin, I'd get the hella outta there without a second thought
- Bad injury troubles, so to get a Pick 11 compensation at the time was great, especially when heading into a rebuild
- Premiership player; his 2010-2011 form where he could have been the difference between successive premierships will never be forgotten.
- Has been a spud at Carlton, leading them into several years into the wilderness.

The only players I'm not fond of who have left Collingwood are Dayne Beams and Travis Cloke. In my head, I'm on good terms with everyone else - Shaw, Lumumba (really did like him as a player), Witts, Wellingham, Seedsman, Freeman etc.
Which Shaw?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hall was publicly fighting with his coach and every other member of the leadership group over his on-field attitude; his words might be saying he wanted to stay but his actions said he was done with the club. I'm okay that he ended up at the Dogs, just glad he left as his time was done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back