Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Courtney Johns and Scott Gumbleton. Both injury-ravaged but could have been anything.

Still time for him but in 21 I thought Ridley was going to be elite but 22 was a bit disappointing. Hopefully under a new coach he'll recapture his 21 form.

Last edited:

Rhys Palmer
Attacking midfielder in the mould of dusty.
His first year he played 20 games kicking 10 goals ave 23 disposals 5 marks.
Came 4th in the bnf won rising star and AFLPA first year player.
He never played 20 games or more in a season and there was no progression in his power, endurance,consistency after season 1.

Both from GC and similar trajectories, one taken at Pick 2, and the other Pick 1 in the 2011 mini draft, Jaeger O'Meara and Harley Bennell both come to mind. Insane talents, and if not for injury/other outside issues when it came to Bennell, could have been the best in the game. Jaeger has still forged a half decent career, but nowhere near the heights of what he looked like scaling in his first few years up at GC.

Both from GC and similar trajectories, both taken at Pick 2, Jaeger O'Meara and Harley Bennell both come to mind. Insane talents, and if not for injury/other outside issues when it came to Bennell, could have been the best in the game. Jaeger has still forged a half decent career, but nowhere near the heights of what he looked like scaling in his first few years up at GC.
Jack Martin was also hyped to be a superstar

I'm taking this thread as given it isn't referring to careers ruined by injury like those of Alex Johnson or Anthony Morabito
I was definitely going to mention Morabito. Looked like he had all the traits to become an elite wingman.

From Saints I'd probably say Justin Koschitske. Had a good overall career but had the potential to be elite if not for that bump from Giansiracusa which basically wiped out his entire season. He was never really the same afterwards.
There was a stretch in 2005 when he kicked 17 goals and had 11 Brownlow votes in 4 straight games

Jake Stringer. Was really good for one year as a forward, and plays some good games each contract year but can drop off at times.

Even today at Essendon, when he gets the ball and bursts away from the middle, it's like he is physically stronger than everyone else on the field. Far too inconsistent.
Remarkable he is still only 28, feels like he's nearing the end of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Melbourne Sean Charles and Darren Cuthbertson

Charles was such an exciting young talent, crazy skills and very, very quick. His old man didn't want him to play footy but rather concentrate on athletics, umpteen hammies later he retired after 3 clubs. Could have been an absolute star on the track too.

From Melbourne Sean Charles and Darren Cuthbertson

Charles was such an exciting young talent, crazy skills and very, very quick. His old man didn't want him to play footy but rather concentrate on athletics, umpteen hammies later he retired after 3 clubs. Could have been an absolute star on the track too.
Would of been nice to see a decade of Allen Jakovich also

Matthew Allan sticks out as the Carlton example. First ruck by age 22, had 2-3 really solid seasons of continuous improvement and was far and away the best ruck in the comp in 1999. All Australian and continued that trajectory in 2000 until a bad foot did him in around the middle of the year. Came back at the back end and but was not at his Best. Limped through the rest of his career with us and then Essendon.

Definitely Sydney Stack. Hopefully he can do a Stengle and sort his s**t out because he's as talented as they come.
Did he get delisted?

Going back a bit but two players from the Swans that immediately come to mind would be Dale Lewis and Nic Davis (the latter started at Collingwood). Both were still good to very good players at times, but it wasn’t seen often enough.

Davis in particular showed how good he could be in that ‘05 semi final when he single-handedly sank the Cats (sorry to Geelong folk for bringing that up but hey you’ve had a darn good run since) but I struggle to think of many (any?) other games where he was the match winner despite clearly having the ability.

Going back a bit but two players from the Swans that immediately come to mind would be Dale Lewis and Nic Davis (the latter started at Collingwood). Both were still good to very good players at times, but it wasn’t seen often enough.

Davis in particular showed how good he could be in that ‘05 semi final when he single-handedly sank the Cats (sorry to Geelong folk for bringing that up but hey you’ve had a darn good run since) but I struggle to think of many (any?) other games where he was the match winner despite clearly having the ability.
Lewis had an ok career considering his desire to stay in Victoria at the time he was drafted.

I remember early in his career he almost became a Nth Melbourne player.

Mark Coughlan comes to mind for me. He played about a season and a half of what I would describe as A-Grade football and looked like he was going to step into that echelon of players that are genuine stars of the competition. Just absolutely ended by knee injuries and was like a small ray of hope in a pretty dreadful era was snuffed out.

Mark Dragacevic I always thought had immense promise but again blew his knee multiple times.

From other clubs I always thought Andrew Walker was going to turn into one of the very best but never seemed to quite get to ceiling of his potential. Shaun Higgins probably another one who played very good but never top top football.

Pretty early to call it but I fear Jack Billings will probably end up in this discussion also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back