Players You'd Like To See Breakout In 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

From my club -

Adam Cerra. Building nicely. Big season coming up.
Hayden Young - should be 100% fit for round 1 and keen as hell.

Harry McKay
Sam Walsh - the new level will be AA
Tom Williamson - watch out AFL

Yeah if Harry McKay had a breakout year that would be something to see.

MFC:

Christian Petracca - Mainly I just want to see him maintain consistency at least. But the next level would be a Brownlow.

Angus Brayshaw - More time on ball and rotating forwards or off the half back flank, now that we have more options out wide. He almost snaffled up the Brownlow the other year, but we'll need another level (AA) out of him soon otherwise he very well might be used as tradebait in the coming seasons.

Jay Lockhart - Need to cement that Nev Jetta spot down back in the Best 22 if Nev seems on the outer. Who knows though, Jetta could pull a Hibbo in 21'.

Sam Weideman - Early to mid 20' he started gaining traction. Hoping that he can start to form a solid partnership with B. Brown and Jacko up forward & aim for 2-3 goals per game.

Aaron Nietschke - Been decimated by ACL injuries in his first 2 seasons, hopefully he gets a clean run at it in 21' and he might be that player we've missed to compliment Ed Langdon's outside run.

Tom Sparrow - If I recall, prior to drafting him he was drawing comparisons to some big name MID/FWDs. Also headed into his 3rd year, so he'll want to start offering something more around the ground (half forward/forward pocket?) or pressing his case for the likes of Harmes/Brayshaw/Viney's spots.

Bailey Laurie/Jake Bowey/Kobe Farmer - I can see Laurie & Bowey likely getting some games rather early in the year, as we trial some different forward setups which has been our area for improvement the last few seasons. Kobe Farmer (provided we draft him via the SSP) could also be in the mix to add to our half forward/forward pocket goal kicking brigade.

Other Clubs:

Riley Thilthorpe - High ranked draftee. Curious to see if he'll have King twins style instant impact for the Crows.

Patty Cripps - Would love to see him push towards a Brownlow Medal.

Liam Stocker - Was touted in his draft year to be the next big thing.

Finlay Macrae/Reef McInnes - Given how the Pies' offseason list changes went, one of these 2 would want to have a blinder of a debut season to fill the voids.

Irving Mosquito - Stiffed by injury during 2020, would like to see him bounce back well. Not a big fan of the Bombers whatsoever but this bloke is a family friend and an excitement machine.

Jye Caldwell - Showed some early glimpses at GWS, curious whether he'll breakout at Essendon and tbf they'll need it.

Andrew Brayshaw - Developing some consistency, but curious how high his ceiling is.

Braydon Preuss - Kinda shattered to see him go, especially now that our ruck stocks are depleted and we'll be stuffed if Gawn goes down. Hope he absolutely kills it at GWS.

Tom Green - Another who was touted to be one of the standouts from his draft year. I understand GWS have a solid engine room, but I'm curious to see how well he goes.

Izak Rankine - The new age Eddie Betts. Very curious to see if he can take yet another step and maintain some consistency.

Jez McLennan - Another player who's been cruelled by injury. Hope he gets a clean run at it in 21'.

Matt Rowell - This kid is a friggen freak & I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he gets a Rising Star & a Brownlow in his second season if he starts the year in good nick. GC might have finally found the player that will help them to a finals appearance in the coming seasons.

Jaidyn Stephenson - Was an absolute beast in his debut season and seems to have lost his consistency ever since the betting scandal. Hope the change of scenery will help him.

Tom Powell/Will Phillips - Some of the highest touted MIDs from the recent draft. Keen to see how they go for NM.

Connor Rozee - Probably Port's most exciting players. I'm likely to give him a run in Supercoach as somewhat of a POD player. Interesting to see if he can reach yet another level.

Riley Collier-Dawkins - The bulk of Richmond's engine room are now aged 28 and above. I also recall RCD getting some praise in his draft year, can he push for a spot in a new look midfield to allow the Tiges to have longterm success?

Maurice Rioli - From my understanding he's not necessarily a walk up start or anything like that. But I'm curious to see whether he gets a run and whether he can weave some magic in 21'.

Logan McDonald - I'm doubtful that Buddy will ever get back to his best, so once again keen to see if a high ranked draftee key forward can have an instant impact for the Swans and stop them from finishing bottom 4 yet again.

Marcus Bontempelli - Again curious to see if he can nudge towards a Brownlow.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - I think COVID may have actually played in his favour regarding less expectation in his debut season. Curious to see whether he'll be thrown in the deep end straight away, or if he'll be eased in.

MFC:

Christian Petracca - Mainly I just want to see him maintain consistency at least. But the next level would be a Brownlow.

Angus Brayshaw - More time on ball and rotating forwards or off the half back flank, now that we have more options out wide. He almost snaffled up the Brownlow the other year, but we'll need another level (AA) out of him soon otherwise he very well might be used as tradebait in the coming seasons.

Jay Lockhart - Need to cement that Nev Jetta spot down back in the Best 22 if Nev seems on the outer. Who knows though, Jetta could pull a Hibbo in 21'.

Sam Weideman - Early to mid 20' he started gaining traction. Hoping that he can start to form a solid partnership with B. Brown and Jacko up forward & aim for 2-3 goals per game.

Aaron Nietschke - Been decimated by ACL injuries in his first 2 seasons, hopefully he gets a clean run at it in 21' and he might be that player we've missed to compliment Ed Langdon's outside run.

Tom Sparrow - If I recall, prior to drafting him he was drawing comparisons to some big name MID/FWDs. Also headed into his 3rd year, so he'll want to start offering something more around the ground (half forward/forward pocket?) or pressing his case for the likes of Harmes/Brayshaw/Viney's spots.

Bailey Laurie/Jake Bowey/Kobe Farmer - I can see Laurie & Bowey likely getting some games rather early in the year, as we trial some different forward setups which has been our area for improvement the last few seasons. Kobe Farmer (provided we draft him via the SSP) could also be in the mix to add to our half forward/forward pocket goal kicking brigade.

Other Clubs:

Riley Thilthorpe - High ranked draftee. Curious to see if he'll have King twins style instant impact for the Crows.

Patty Cripps - Would love to see him push towards a Brownlow Medal.

Liam Stocker - Was touted in his draft year to be the next big thing.

Finlay Macrae/Reef McInnes - Given how the Pies' offseason list changes went, one of these 2 would want to have a blinder of a debut season to fill the voids.

Irving Mosquito - Stiffed by injury during 2020, would like to see him bounce back well. Not a big fan of the Bombers whatsoever but this bloke is a family friend and an excitement machine.

Jye Caldwell - Showed some early glimpses at GWS, curious whether he'll breakout at Essendon and tbf they'll need it.

Andrew Brayshaw - Developing some consistency, but curious how high his ceiling is.

Braydon Preuss - Kinda shattered to see him go, especially now that our ruck stocks are depleted and we'll be stuffed if Gawn goes down. Hope he absolutely kills it at GWS.

Tom Green - Another who was touted to be one of the standouts from his draft year. I understand GWS have a solid engine room, but I'm curious to see how well he goes.

Izak Rankine - The new age Eddie Betts. Very curious to see if he can take yet another step and maintain some consistency.

Jez McLennan - Another player who's been cruelled by injury. Hope he gets a clean run at it in 21'.

Matt Rowell - This kid is a friggen freak & I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he gets a Rising Star & a Brownlow in his second season if he starts the year in good nick. GC might have finally found the player that will help them to a finals appearance in the coming seasons.

Jaidyn Stephenson - Was an absolute beast in his debut season and seems to have lost his consistency ever since the betting scandal. Hope the change of scenery will help him.

Tom Powell/Will Phillips - Some of the highest touted MIDs from the recent draft. Keen to see how they go for NM.

Connor Rozee - Probably Port's most exciting players. I'm likely to give him a run in Supercoach as somewhat of a POD player. Interesting to see if he can reach yet another level.

Riley Collier-Dawkins - The bulk of Richmond's engine room are now aged 28 and above. I also recall RCD getting some praise in his draft year, can he push for a spot in a new look midfield to allow the Tiges to have longterm success?

Maurice Rioli - From my understanding he's not necessarily a walk up start or anything like that. But I'm curious to see whether he gets a run and whether he can weave some magic in 21'.

Logan McDonald - I'm doubtful that Buddy will ever get back to his best, so once again keen to see if a high ranked draftee key forward can have an instant impact for the Swans and stop them from finishing bottom 4 yet again.

Marcus Bontempelli - Again curious to see if he can nudge towards a Brownlow.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - I think COVID may have actually played in his favour regarding less expectation in his debut season. Curious to see whether he'll be thrown in the deep end straight away, or if he'll be eased in.
Can a first year player have a breakout year?

Cody Weightman

Jack Martin. Shown plenty of glimpses and has freakish talent but I want it every week.

Harry Mckay. Time to kick 45+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max King, he’s gotta be close to a breakout season. Once he reaches his ideal weight, watch out!

Noah Balta, again, he’s close to a breakout season too. Building confidence and fitness, I predict he’ll surpass that other guy the Tigers had in the backline who wore no.18.

Gold coast - Rowell, Rankine, Ainsworth
Others - Bailey Smith, Cerra, Rozee
Crows - Fogarty, Milera, McAsey and Jones

Max King, he’s gotta be close to a breakout season. Once he reaches his ideal weight, watch out!
Someone at training today said he's bulked up and not looking like a skeleton any more.

Think it's still going to be too soon for a breakout season for him though.

Reckon he'll improve and all-things-being-equal maybe have a few breakout type games (with bags of goals), but that next year is a lot more likely for him to be grabbing the comp by the scruff of the neck consistently.

Last season he was really only having big quarters (generally the first quarter) and then dying right out, so I reckon with the return to 20 min quarters in particular he'll need another preseason, on top of this one, for both fitness and strength.

For the Crows - really surprised Jackson Hately hasn’t got more mentions. Getting opportunities in the Crows’ midfield will do him wonders, was great for the Giants in the guts when he had the chance

Otherwise, I think a couple of Freo guys in Hayden Young and Adam Cerra will break out. Two superb talents that are very close to taking the next step

Bloody Daniel Rioli!

Jordan Clark
Sam Simpson

I enjoy watching all of these players and think they have plenty of scope to make big jumps in performance this year:
Max and Ben King
Lukosius
Rankine (I guess I'll be watching a lot of the Suns this year!)
Rayner
Balta
Coffield (assuming he's ok after hurting his shoulder last year)
Fogarty

From the Pies:
Daicos (again)
Quaynor
Tyler Brown
Keane
Kelly
Sier (maybe? finally?)
I'm most excited about our 2020 draft crop as there is a huge amount of talent there and I'm really bullish about their future as a group, but realistically they aren't going to really fulfill too much potential in their first season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back