Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
It's the off-season, and I've still got the Premiership glow happening, so when that happens i do like to look at the stats sites, especially two in particular being AFL tables, and Rogers Results, the latter is being updated with new stats pertaining to the 2022 season, and of course Geelong's numbers start to look better and better!

One thing i was looking at with AFL tables, is Geelong's break up of wins by various margins, and Paul on this site has broken up margins in various increments. Just looking at Geelong's situation, when the game is close it's very much 50/50.....23 draws, and in games where the margin is 1-23 points, Geelong has won 565 of these games, and lost 559.

Might seem sort of an average or unremarkable stat, but Geelong has won 1388 games (inc the protest win over St.Kilda years ago) and lost 1114 games. Thus, Geelong has won games of margins of 24+ points to the tune of 823 occasions, but lost those only 555 times.

Breaking it down into another category, Geelong has actually had the most 10-goal wins of any side, despite winning close to 200 fewer games than powerhouse Collingwood. Indeed the Cats have won 255 games by 60+ points, and have lost just 127 of those.

And if you're of my vintage, (54) you'd have seen a massive percentage of these big wins, as a hell of a lot of them have happened from 1989 onwards. Geelong also have had the most 100 point whippings of any side, a record of 38-12 in such matches. In my footy memory from about 1976, the only sides to smash us by a century have been Hawthorn, Collingwood and Sydney.

Probably one of the most unusual stats though is that for as how relatively ordinary Carlton have been over the last two decades, and by contrast how good Geelong has been, our biggest win over the Blues of all time is just 78 points, in early 2007. That would be close to the lowest 'high' margin of any side among the traditional eight clubs since the VFL started in 1897.

Actually calling RogersResults....would that be indeed the lowest 'high' margin among any matchup of the original 8 VFL clubs from 1897?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back