PlayStation VR

I almost purchased one of these at the Black Friday sales.

Thankfully I didn't. I just borrowed a workmate's one. Played a few games on it. Astro bot was great. VR worlds decent and Doom was shithouse.

Overall it wasn't too bad, but I'm glad I didn't spend money on it. CBF setting it up all the time either. Hopefully the next version is much better.

I almost purchased one of these at the Black Friday sales.

Thankfully I didn't. I just borrowed a workmate's one. Played a few games on it. Astro bot was great. VR worlds decent and Doom was shithouse.

Overall it wasn't too bad, but I'm glad I didn't spend money on it. CBF setting it up all the time either. Hopefully the next version is much better.
What do you mean by setting it up all the time? Shouldn't need to do anything other than put the headset on (unless your on a V1 headset and need to swap cables over for the HDR)

What do you mean by setting it up all the time? Shouldn't need to do anything other than put the headset on (unless your on a V1 headset and need to swap cables over for the HDR)
It's just messy. I wouldn't have mine (if I had one) set up all the time.

In all the advertising guff they conveniently remove the cables.

Doesn't sound like you tried too many games though.

I don't regret buying it. I think I've got my moneys worth with the hours of entertainment I've got back.

The biggest annoyance for me is the headphone jack stopped working.

I don't regret mine either. I bought it as an investment for the future of VR as I really think it does have a place in the gaming world. I'll buy PSVR2 in a heartbeat too. The main issue that stops me playing often (outside of still not having the ps5 adapter) is being on the V1 headset I need to swap the cables over and I am too lazy to do that.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
No real info. Just kind of saying its coming, but not this year.

Wired is disappointing given the success of the Oculus Quest systems. I can understand why though, as wireless streaming VR options are still too heavily dependent on having a strong network.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wired is disappointing given the success of the Oculus Quest systems. I can understand why though, as wireless streaming VR options are still too heavily dependent on having a strong network.
And isn’t the Quest like worse than PSVR graphical quality when wireless?

Next-Gen VR Controllers shown off.

51049009217_30e502d7fa_c.jpg

Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope they come WITH the headset. The s**t show that was everyone, individuals and retail stores, raising the prices for their 12 year old PS3 era move controllers because they were back in popular demand was unbearable.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Quivorir Beerfish happy_eagle sorry guys, I'm fairly new to VR and doing some research now as 12yo son is wanting one for Xmas (I may also need one myself in due course for Assetto Corsa) and saw you guys are the more recent posters in this thread.
Is PSVR the only real option in this market?
Any pros/cons?
Thanks in advance.

Quivorir Beerfish happy_eagle sorry guys, I'm fairly new to VR and doing some research now as 12yo son is wanting one for Xmas (I may also need one myself in due course for Assetto Corsa) and saw you guys are the more recent posters in this thread.
Any pros/cons?
Thanks in advance.
It's the only option I have any experience with I'm afraid. I like it but the cons would be having to buy the camera and the move controllers as well unless they come in a bundle now.. which I'm also not sure about.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Any pros/cons?
Thanks in advance.
I haven't touched my PSVR in a while (bit of a hassle to plug in everything). When I did use it however it was great, although specs wise it does seem rather dated comparing with newer products (the PSVR2 will be impressive when it launches sometime next year I think)

I can however heavily recommend the Oculus Quest 2. Its completely wireless (can stream PCVR content as well) and has visual specs up there with expensive VR Headsets like the HP or Valve units that are double in price. It probably doesn't have the game library PSVR has (yet) but there is more than enough content either through Steam VR and Oculus directly that will keep you occupied.

Only letdown with Oculus is that it is owned by Facebook, and you need a Facebook account to use it. I understand that this is a non negotiable for some users, but it really is a great headset apart from that. Facebook are supposedly announcing a new Oculus headset next month, so the Quest 2 might reduce in price in time for Christmas.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are there any new crossplatform games? VR is most fun when playing with my mates on Vive and Oculus but its a pain when we have to play the same two games, usually Star Trek and Rec Room. I haven't been able to find any new ones.

Can't wait for PSVR2 which will probably have good enough controllers and power from the PS5 to allow more PC games to come to Playstation.

Back