Society/Culture Poll: Are You In Favour Of A Rail Ring For Melbourne?

Are You In Favour Of A Rail Ring For Melbourne?

• 1 Yes [Victorian resident, preferred party Labor]

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • 2 Yes [Victorian resident, preferred party Liberal]

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • 3 Yes [Victorian resident, preferred party other]

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • 4 Yes [not Victorian resident]

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • 5 No [Victorian resident, preferred party Labor]

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 6 No [Victorian resident, preferred party Liberal]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 No [Victorian resident, preferred party other]

• 8 No [not Victorian resident]

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew that that's why it said it was dishonest. It was not a untrue because you were stupid or ignorant but because you fully knew the claim was false when you made it.

You anger should be addressed to the mirror.
Ooooh boy, just trolling are we?? It's not dishonesty if you make a remark that people know you aren't serious about....... o_Oo_O

There are a distinct lack of new railway stations in the western suburbs in the proposed plan.

At the very least there should be stations built in Keilor and Altona North, and rather than terminating at Werribee, connect at Laverton and then build stations in Point Cook and Werribee South.

Saying something you know to be be untrue is dishonest. You did. you were.
You are repeating yourself but to answer my own question yes you are a troll so just run along

Another idea that was going around a while ago was to have some big rail depots around the suburbs where freight could be loaded up and sent by rail to take some of the trucks off the road. I think the cost of that was going to be fairly moderate and sounded like a good idea.

No

I was once a big advocate of big infrastructure for our big cities. However, I’ve changed my mind and feel regional development is better for our nation, mental health of our society and empowering people.

Theme in Australia with (supposedly) rich people wanting to pull up the drawbridge with infrastructure.

"They should develop the regions. You know, those regions I'll never live in".

Theme in Australia with (supposedly) rich people wanting to pull up the drawbridge with infrastructure.

That's the problem with Australia. Too high a percentage of the population are squeezed into the major cities/coastal regions. I think we have one of the highest percentage of the population living in that area compared to other countries? Look at America for example, whilst more still prefer certain cities and either the east or west coasts, a greater percentage of the population is more spread out, and in each state they have a couple to a few cities in each state. European countries are smaller than most of our states yet have a more spread out population and better infrastructure to squeeze more people in than our states have. Where is Victoria's next metropolitan type area? Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo are technically meant to be "cities" But cannot see them become booming metro areas with skyscrapers, apartments and high level infrastructure. Melbourne is struggling because its taking too much of the load population wise. Its poorly designed and limited vision for the future, it cannot handle a huge population without large scale changes in which may be too expensive and too many are required to keep up.

America's lakes and rivers are a lot better than ours. Wouldn't be 10 million people in or near Chicago if it was like Alice Springs.

I guess they'll remain unliveable until investment in those regions is made. Instead some want more and more pork barrelling, ever bigger capital cities and then whine about the cost of housing as the travel time.

500k-2m is a real sweet spot for economic opportunity and lifestyle.

and yes we should invest in infrastructure but this should be to improve people's quality of lives rather than perpetuating an ever increase urban sprawl 50-100kms away from the core community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne of 4 million was fine. Melbourne of 10 million will be a hell hole.

too many get left behind and just to keep up, long travel times and small shitty housing

#misery

What are Aussie military engineers like at building infrastructure projects? I reckon we should allocate some of the defence training budget to get our military to build it.

Our taxes at work! Might even save some dollarydoos!

What are Aussie military engineers like at building infrastructure projects? I reckon we should allocate some of the defence training budget to get our military to build it.

Our taxes at work! Might even save some dollarydoos!

Like what?

To me it needs some kind of new regional industry to be developed first, and then the towns and cities will develop as the workers for that industry settle down in a town near work. Agriculture is a shrinking percentage of the workforce with technological improvement and industrial scale mechanised farming. So it needs the development of some other industry that employs lots of people. But i have no idea what that could be.

Last edited:
No

I was once a big advocate of big infrastructure for our big cities. However, I’ve changed my mind and feel regional development is better for our nation, mental health of our society and empowering people.

I don’t think it’s an either one or the other thing. I’m usually happy with any infrastructure being built which will be a benefit.

People will always complain that something else should be done, regardless of anything.

I was for east west link too, so this isn’t something along political lines (though I will vote labor at this election as they appear to be a ‘get s**t done’ party like Liberal were under Kennett).

I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t see the outer rail link as a bad idea, it’s the biggest no brainer in that our trains are way too city centric at the moment.

I don’t think it’s an either one or the other thing. I’m usually happy with any infrastructure being built which will be a benefit.

People will always complain that something else should be done, regardless of anything.

I was for east west link too, so this isn’t something along political lines (though I will vote labor at this election as they appear to be a ‘get s**t done’ party like Liberal were under Kennett).

I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t see the outer rail link as a bad idea, it’s the biggest no brainer in that our trains are way too city centric at the moment.

I to was pro the East West link at the beginning but changed my mind, as the issue of rising property prices continued. With decentralisation possible with increased technology, we should be planning for the future rather than the centralised past required by industries such as manufacturing.

I also question if a flexible, safe and convenient transport solution, catering to all people's needs such as kids, the disabled and the aged is a better option. Trains simply don't make sense if we are serious about these criteria.

You're really nailing yourself to this hill aren't you.

I'm not sure why you are so confident given wgere the technology already is, and given technological advancement through all of human history.
Anyone paying close attention to the industry, not just swallowing the hype, knows that there are severe problems with the technology that will keep it decades away from existing, if at all.

Back