• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be absolutely astounded if Ollie is professionally influenced by his family - and that is affecting the way he acts at the club.

Also, I don’t believe he would ‘expect’ the captaincy - and if he does, it’ll be an opportunity for him to learn something if he doesn’t get it.

I’m not saying the club won’t balls this up, and give us two captains but if they make that decision to not hurt the expectations of one non-superstar player...
It's only my opinion. I may be way off, wouldn't be the first time.

There's a story about when the King of Wu invited Sun Tzu for a visit, and he challenged him to submit his theory of managing soldiers to a test. The test was applied to women of the Palace, and the King placed one of his favourite concubines at the head of each.

Sun Tzu asks the women if they know their right from their left, and their front from their back. They all say "Yes!" So he says when he tells them to turn left, they should turn left, right, turn right etc.

When it comes time to do the drill, he gives the order to turn right, and they all burst out laughing. So he says "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, then the general is to blame." So he starts again, and this time he makes sure that he gives the order to turn left loudly and clearly...only for the girls to burst out laughing once more.

Then he says, "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame. But if his orders ARE clear, and the soldiers nevertheless disobey, then it is the fault of their officers." And he orders the leaders of the two companies to be beheaded. And even though the King tries to stop this from happening, Sun Tzu replies that there are certain commands that acting in the capacity of being the general of the King's forces that he is unable to accept.

So the two favoured concubines are beheaded, and the next favoured are put in their place. After which, the women are drilled like a precision military unit - turning left or right, marching forward or wheeling back, kneeling or standing, with perfect accuracy and precision, not venturing to utter a sound.

When Sun Tzu said that the King's troops are ready for inspection, the King of Wu says that he does not want to do that and Sun Tzu should just return to camp. To which Sun Tzu replies:

"The King is only fond of talking about military action, he has no stomach for the reality of it, and cannot translate words into deeds."

You people talk about being ruthless, but you've got no idea what it actually means. When Travis Boak gets stripped of the captaincy, it's because he's the equivalent of an officer in this scenario, and he should have been on top of the Wingard situation from day one. He should have been on top of the Powell-Pepper situation from day one.

It's the job of a captain to make sure that the players under his watch are drilled in whatever the coach wants them to do and not take any s**t or dissent about it. That's why I can't see Wines being captain - he'd just be another Boak...more concerned about being popular in the locker room than calling people out.

I look at Hartlett talking to Polec about playing selfish football, and I think "Why didn't Boak have that conversation as the captain? Why didn't Wines as the vice captain?"

I don't want a player who is popular. I want a player who is respected.

Any you think HH will be respected by the players more thanTJ or Ollie?

Coming back from a reco, he will need all of this year to get back up to speed, and no certainty to even be a lock for thecstsrting 18 either!

And you don't think that having a defender as captain dilutes his capacity to be across the field of play sufficiently? Hodge and Harley got away with it because they had plenty of experienced potential leaders and hard nuts all across the ground to keep the troops in order. Probably Hurn fits that scenario too.

Coming back from a reco, he will need all of this year to get back up to speed, and no certainty to even be a lock for thecstsrting 18 either!

And you don't think that having a defender as captain dilutes his capacity to be across the field of play sufficiently? Hodge and Harley got away with it because they had plenty of experienced potential leaders and hard nuts all across the ground to keep the troops in order. Probably Hurn fits that scenario too.

I think Hartlett plays a position where he can directly influence the tempo of the game. Inside mids like Wines are too close to the heat to have a good read on the game...they are the type you appoint when everyone knows what the tempo is and you need a captain that can lead by example.

And he’ll easily be starting 18. We missed him something shocking last season.

Janus i enjoy your theories but what are the chances i dunno
Boak simply wanted more time to focus on his own brand in 2019 (Rodgers ect)
I'm fairly confident from that ive heard that if he still wanted to be skipper he would be in 2019

I'm fairly confident from that ive heard that if he still wanted to be skipper he would be in 2019

He’s been a great captain and still was/is a great leader.

Maybe they want a captain who’s a walk up start and guaranteed best 22, and I’m not certain Boak is in the category anymore.

Not a genuine foward where most people are naming him and he’s spending a fair bit of time. If he isn’t an first choice mid I question his place in the team, he’s defiantly behind Wines and SPP in the middle and lacks the pace to be effective on the outside and across half foward.

Recon he’s probably fighting with Ebo and Rockliff for the same spot, maybe 2 spots in the side. Also could add Atley into the mix for those spots .

Putting your own personal projects ahead of the club is poor leadership when the example a captain should be setting is about sacrifice both on and off the field.

He’d probably still be skipper if he didn’t do that. So while it was his choice...I believe the club taking the captaincy off him was a reaction to that choice, rather than him simply saying he didn’t want to do it anymore.

Putting your own personal projects ahead of the club is poor leadership when the example a captain should be setting is about sacrifice both on and off the field.

He’d probably still be skipper if he didn’t do that. So while it was his choice...I believe the club taking the captaincy off him was a reaction to that choice, rather than him simply saying he didn’t want to do it anymore.
Yep that i agree with
He knew what he was doing when he got into it imo

Travis Boak has relinquished the Port Adelaide captaincy after six years in the job, the Power announced on Friday.

The 30-year-old assumed the role from Dom Cassisi in 2013 and has marshalled the club to three finals series during his tenure.

Boak, the 2011 club champion, led Port Adelaide in 137 matches to earn the title of the most-capped skipper in Power history.

The theories around Travis being forced to step down have no merit. It's simply time for someone new.

I think Hartlett plays a position where he can directly influence the tempo of the game. Inside mids like Wines are too close to the heat to have a good read on the game...they are the type you appoint when everyone knows what the tempo is and you need a captain that can lead by example.

And he’ll easily be starting 18. We missed him something shocking last season.
Fair enough.
Reasonable clarification of your position.
Guess we wait and see.

The theories around Travis being forced to step down have no merit. It's simply time for someone new.
I can confirm that he was forced. I was told by someone he told. Someone very close to his family. He was definitely very upset by this.

I agree. Everyone is expecting him to come back in AA form and to captain the team.

Realistically he will probably be average for the 1st half of the year at least and will probably be more focused on getting his body and form right rather than captaining the team.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can confirm that he was forced. I was told by someone he told. Someone very close to his family. He was definitely very upset by this.

This is garbage. He knew it was time.

Being forced to, or not forced to, I don't really care. He couldn't lead the side to victory when it counted often enough when we played the top teams and it was close.

Part of his problem was he was too often ****ed in the 4th quarter, after doing so much useless running in the previous 3 quarters. Everyone has to do unrewarded running, I get that, but either Travis either under instruction or by choice, did too much useless running which meant he was running on empty too many times in the last quarter. That's ok when you have a decent lead or getting smashed, but not much use when the game is close and the captain can't lead the side to victory.

I will say that I definitely think it's time he handed over the reigns. I'm no Boak lover, Just stating what I did know about the situation.

Being forced to, or not forced to, I don't really care. He couldn't lead the side to victory when it counted often enough when we played the top teams and it was close.

Part of his problem was he was too often ****** in the 4th quarter, after doing so much useless running in the previous 3 quarters. Everyone has to do unrewarded running, I get that, but either Travis either under instruction or by choice, did too much useless running which meant he was running on empty too many times in the last quarter. That's ok when you have a decent lead or getting smashed, but not much use when the game is close and the captain can't lead the side to victory.

agreed, the dragging the team to victory stopped in 2015, 2013-14 he was every bit that captain.

I still think our coaching/moving him out the middle was a massive reason for this.

agreed, the dragging the team to victory stopped in 2015, 2013-14 he was every bit that captain.

I still think our coaching/moving him out the middle was a massive reason for this.
I reckon he did it Rd 2 vs Sydney last year, but that was in the 3rd quarter onslaught lead by Travis not the 4th quarter. We went from 14 pts down at 1/2 time to 15 up at 3/4 time and kicked 7 goals to 2.

Is the captaincy going to be like our major sponsor? We will get close to naming the player who will to be captain, for them to pull out at the last minute, then enter the season without a captain and take another 2 years til a player want's to step up?

Back