Port Adelaide starts new Indigenous academy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I think I have finally got my head around this stuff now. We have set up the AFL Aboriginal Academy (back in 2014 before the AFL's 2016 Next Generation Academy concept/rules) for players from all over SA and some from NT who have made the move to Adelaide, and we have New Generation Academy bidding rights for some of those kids, ie those who live in our city and country zones and they will play for Norwood, Woodville-West Torrens, South Adelaide and West Adelaide in the SANFL.

We are also taking kids who are zoned to Adelaide under the New Generation Academy bidding rights, but as Adelaide don't put them in their academy program, I think they loose bidding rights and these kids just go into the general draft pool.

I think the club has said stuff it, we will take young blokes from anywhere in SA and if we don't get any bidding rights bad luck, we are more interested in developing their education and life skills as much as their football skills and and if they make it, that's great for them.

Next year we have bidding rights for Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick because they play for Woodville-West Torrens and they are zoned to use under the New Generation Academy bidding rights.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/port-can-bid-on-two-academy-players
TWO Port Adelaide Next Gen Academy members have been approved for talent concessions by the AFL. Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick are members of Port Adelaide’s Multicultural and Aboriginal Next Gen Academy and will be eligible to be bid upon in the draft by Port Adelaide once age-eligible.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/port-can-bid-on-two-academy-players

Re reading this bit of the article I liked above about Brenton Watts who I found out plays for Centrals and Frank Szekely who plays for North Adelaide the penny has dropped as to what we are trying to achieve and how it all works.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/1d054a87a05388baadcc047fad53cb60
“The good thing is that they are both very talented young footballers and are on the right track — both on and off the field.’’ “An elite football program with 37 Aboriginal-Torres Strait Islanders (17 are Year 11 students who won't graduate until next year) is pretty remarkable,’’ he said. “Just nine years ago I was at high school and there weren’t programs like this around, so for Port to have this academy is pretty special. “The effectiveness of the program in having 37 indigenous lads complete a Certificate 3 for fitness on top of having an elite sporting facility to train in is special.’’

Watts, who models his game on star Crow Eddie Betts, was born in Queensland and raised at Alice Springs before moving to Adelaide last year. Szekely, younger brother of former Power forward-midfielder Wade Thompson, was born at Port Augusta and moved to Adelaide two years ago.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/1d054a87a05388baadcc047fad53cb60

As well as re reading the bit about the Adelaide Uni partnership which I linked in the - Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL - explained at these 2 posts.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ty-pcl-explained.1072855/page-7#post-53114123

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ty-pcl-explained.1072855/page-7#post-53189275

The University of Adelaide today signed a three-year agreement with Port Adelaide Football Club’s community organisation, Power Community Limited, to support Aboriginal youth education. The University has become a major partner with the Club’s Aboriginal AFL Academy Program. Over the next three years, the University will be working alongside the Club to encourage and support young Indigenous people to find pathways into university education.

“This is a big step for the University of Adelaide; it will not only increase our profile within the Aboriginal community but help us contribute towards closing the gap,” says Professor Shane Hearn, Dean of Indigenous Research and Education Strategy at the University of Adelaide.

“Over the next three years, we will be supporting the next generation of young Indigenous leaders within the Aboriginal AFL Academy to consider a university education; we will show them how they can access university, what the pathways are and the support they can expect

So the club is doing its bit to help develop these kids outside of footy. They might be good enough to play AFL. The club might pick them up under the NGA bidding rights, the club might miss out on them because they aren't in our NGA zone. But the long term payoff from a purely selfish footy point of view is if they get drafted, they might want to come back home and play for Port. Worth taking a punt whilst helping to close the gap.

How many of the other 17 clubs are taking indigenous lads who aren't in their zones and developing them as people as well as footballers??

I see that Marlon is wearing the red striped top like Paul V photo I posted in the Aboriginal Programs thread as well, from the 'Tiser article I linked above. I wonder if that red is a combo indigenous flag red and chinese red on our black white and teal colours. Lockhart Road

840cebdc51dc664ad36fcc6730a98639

AFL draft prospects Brenton Watts (left) and Frank Szekely with Port Adelaide Aboriginal Programs co-ordinator Marlon Motlop at Alberton Oval. Picture: Calum Robertson.

Adelaide don't put them in their academy program, I think they loose bidding rights and these kids just go into the general draft pool.

I think the club has said stuff it, we will take young blokes from anywhere in SA and if we don't get any bidding rights bad luck, we are more interested in developing their their education and life skills and if they make as much as football skills and that's great for them.

It's more that the club has decided that we will take young blokes from anywhere in SA in the hope that just like Steven Motlop, when it's time for FA to hit they will select the club that actively helped their development over the franchise that ignored them.

As Matthew Richardson said - everything we do, even the academy programs, is about winning premierships. They are thinking about what happens in the future as well as what happens right now.

Just thinking out loud a bit, I wonder if the deals with Austin and Young and swapping picks with North where 2018 draft picks were traded or swapped to improve our picks, if that was done with the view to where Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick might go in the draft and needing picks around that mark to secure them.

Just thinking out loud a bit, I wonder if the deals with Austin and Young and swapping picks with North where 2018 draft picks were traded or swapped to improve our picks, if that was done with the view to where Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick might go in the draft and needing picks around that mark to secure them.

I doubt it to be honest, the deals made sense just to improve our position in a supposed strong draft.

If the guys are in contention for listing next year, yes it will help secure them but it's still such a long way out to be pinpointing for two fairly marginal prospects.

I doubt it to be honest, the deals made sense just to improve our position in a supposed strong draft.

If the guys are in contention for listing next year, yes it will help secure them but it's still such a long way out to be pinpointing for two fairly marginal prospects.
How do you know they are marginal? What is your metric or is it a guess?

How do you know they are marginal? What is your metric or is it a guess?

Going off others' opinion really so not a metric, but more than a sheer guess.

Obviously being a year out a lot changes in that time, but they don't really crack a mention from Macca's Cup watchers, not making state squads or the AIS hence at this point in time cannot be considered anything other than marginal.

With West Adelaide a part of our club zones for indigenous academy, does Izak Rankine come under our allocation of players we can bid for in 2018?
Or does he need to be a member of our Academy first?
Just interested.

With West Adelaide a part of our club zones for indigenous academy, does Izak Rankine come under our allocation of players we can bid for in 2018?
Just interested.

Is not part of the academy as he was already part of elite development and not a player we could bid on.

Just interested.

Great idea.... the way we are going at the moment I'm sure we could pull it off lol

Just interested.
He isn't part of our academy otherwise we would be spruking it every week. There was an AFL website article from around June, which I can't find at the moment, that had the list of Next Generation players available in this year's draft but we didn't have any players.

... There was an AFL website article from around June, which I can't find at the moment, that had the list of Next Generation players available in this year's draft but we didn't have any players.
This one?

NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY – ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

CARLTON
Ethan Penrith (2017 draft eligible), Reservoir (club), Indigenous (background)
Artan Cabdi (2017), Heidelberg Heights, Multicultural
Nick Riebelt (2018), Eltham, Multicultural
Sunny Brazier (2018), North Fitzroy, Multicultural
Mitchell Wild (2018), South Morang, Indigenous
Michael Bozikis (2019), Fairfield, Multicultural
Paul Sidhu (2019), Mernda, Multicultural
Tochukwu Oparaocha (2019), Wollert, Multicultural
Cameron Wild (2019), South Morang, Indigenous

ESSENDON
Daniel Hanna (2017), East Keilor, Multicultural
Lucas Cooper (2018), Maningrida, Indigenous

FREMANTLE
Jason Carter (2018), Wyndham, Indigenous
Liam Henry (2019), Derby, Indigenous

GEELONG
Titak Nyak (2017), Corio, Multicultural

HAWTHORN
Tony Olango (2016/17), Marrara, Multicultural
Changkuoth Jiath (2017), Morewell, Multicultural
Bol Jok (2017), Pakenham, Multicultural
Tyrone Hayes (2017), Lakes Entrance, Indigenous
Stephen Kapahnke (2018), Macclesfield, Multicultural
Irving Mosquito (2018), Briagolong, Indigenous
Marcus Toussaint (2019), Inverloch, Multicultural
Todd Garner (2019), Gruyere, Indigenous
Tot Jok (2019), Pakenham, Multicultural
Charles Power (2019), Heathmont, Multicultural
Sebastian Reyneke (2019), Park Orchards, Multicultural
Harrison Pepper (2019), Morwell, Indigenous

NORTH MELBOURNE
Tarryn Trindall (Thomas) (2018), Hadspen, Indigenous
Leiwyn Jones (2019), Launceston, Indigenous

RICHMOND
Derek Smith (2016/17), Mildura, Indigenous
David Smith (2017), Shepparton, Indigenous
Anthony Walker (2017), Kialla, Indigenous
Ajak Dang (2018), Mooroopna, Multicultural
Kyle Clarke (2018), Shepparton, Indigenous
Phillip Moi Moi (2018), Robinvale, Multicultural
Kailen Walker (2018), Red Cliffs, Indigenous
Hugo Ingham (2019), Shepparton, Multicultural
Peter Clarke (2019), Mildura, Indigenous
Kobe Brown (2019), Mildura, Indigenous
Masang Dang (2020), Mooroopna, Multicultural
Abel Conners (2020), Shepparton, Multicultural
Nathan Louw (2023), Swan Hill, Multicultural

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Buku Khamis (2018), St Albans, Multicultural

This one?

NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY – ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

CARLTON
Artan Cabdi (2017), Heidelberg Heights, Multicultural
Nick Riebelt (2018), Eltham, Multicultural
Sunny Brazier (2018), North Fitzroy, Multicultural
Michael Bozikis (2019), Fairfield, Multicultural
Paul Sidhu (2019), Mernda, Multicultural
Tochukwu Oparaocha (2019), Wollert, Multicultural

ESSENDON
Daniel Hanna (2017), East Keilor, Multicultural

FREMANTLE

GEELONG
Titak Nyak (2017), Corio, Multicultural

HAWTHORN
Tony Olango (2016/17), Marrara, Multicultural
Changkuoth Jiath (2017), Morewell, Multicultural
Bol Jok (2017), Pakenham, Multicultural
Stephen Kapahnke (2018), Macclesfield, Multicultural
Marcus Toussaint (2019), Inverloch, Multicultural
Tot Jok (2019), Pakenham, Multicultural
Charles Power (2019), Heathmont, Multicultural
Sebastian Reyneke (2019), Park Orchards, Multicultural

NORTH MELBOURNE

RICHMOND
Ajak Dang (2018), Mooroopna, Multicultural
Phillip Moi Moi (2018), Robinvale, Multicultural
Hugo Ingham (2019), Shepparton, Multicultural
Masang Dang (2020), Mooroopna, Multicultural
Abel Conners (2020), Shepparton, Multicultural
Nathan Louw (2023), Swan Hill, Multicultural

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Buku Khamis (2018), St Albans, Multicultural

Yep that's the one. LOL everywhere else on AFL website I searched for I used and it found article's on North's Tarryn Thomas but this one its Tarryn Trindall (Thomas).

19 are indigenous the rest under the multicultural rule.
CARLTON
ESSENDON
FREMANTLE
HAWTHORN

NORTH MELBOURNE

RICHMOND

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrPlow mentioned this article in The Australian discussing Port's Indigenous programs. Really good national coverage of what we are doing and how it benefits us in attracting Aboriginal talent to our club.

It's behind a paywall unfortunately, but here's the headline ;)

Port Adelaide strengthens indigenous ties

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/6dc65c5171e7bb9c0bfc23f28d71a2c7

Vandenbergh is certain the club’s investment in the indigenous community is a factor in established players choosing Alberton Oval as their home. “I know the players like Paddy Ryder and Chad Wingard are always excited when another Aboriginal player gets on the list because they know it is life-changing,” he said.
“It is why Paddy Ryder came to us. It is why Lindsay Thomas has been begging us for three years to come. It is why Stephen Motlop signed with us.”
Jamahl Weetra, who captains the indigenous academy that had a training session in Rotorua yesterday, is excited by the signing of Thomas.
“For a young dude like me, with him coming to the end of his career, he can teach me the ropes and the right and wrong of how to go about it,” he said.

MrPlow mentioned this article in The Australian discussing Port's Indigenous programs. Really good national coverage of what we are doing and how it benefits us in attracting Aboriginal talent to our club.

It's behind a paywall unfortunately, but here's the headline ;)

Port Adelaide strengthens indigenous ties

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/6dc65c5171e7bb9c0bfc23f28d71a2c7

Jamahl Weetra, who captains the indigenous academy that had a training session in Rotorua yesterday, is excited by the signing of Thomas.
“For a young dude like me, with him coming to the end of his career, he can teach me the ropes and the right and wrong of how to go about it,” he said

Someone should tell young Weetra that Thomas thinks his best years are still ahead of him :);)

Following the tour diary of Ronald Fuschtei

Day 1 and 2 and Ronald meets family members he has never met before
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-11-30/nz-academy-diary-day-1
Hi, my name is Ronald Fuschtei and I am a member of Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal Academy team. As a reward for completing both the educational and football components of the Academy program across the year I along with 17 of my teammates were given the opportunity to travel to New Zealand on a football and cultural exchange tour. Over the following week I want to share my experience with you through the following diary account.

Before I start I want to share some background on me as this tour to New Zealand could be one of the most significant things I’ve done in my life. I’m 17 years old and have an Aboriginal mother Deborah and a Maori father Grant. My parents separated when I was younger which was very difficult but I’m in the unique and fortunate position to have two beautiful cultures within my DNA – Aboriginal and Maori. This tour to New Zealand will be the first time I will see the other side of my culture and ahead of me will be some life changing moments but more about that later.
Waiting at the airport were six family members from my father’s side of the family that I was about to meet for the first time. They were my grandmother Rachel, auntie Caroline, cousin Katena and cousin Rose with her two young daughters Isabella and Lilly. I was so anxious and nervous. I didn’t know what to expect as I had never been through this before.......My new family were amazing and while my teammates settled into their accommodation in Auckland I visited my grandmother and grandfather with my cousins. It was so surreal. As I was planning to see my grandfather I bought an old photo from home when I was 18 months old sitting on his lap.
We woke up on day 2 to a beautiful sunny Auckland morning. Naturally, my mind was still buzzing from the night before but kittle did I know that this day was going to be equally special......After breakfast the team jumped on a bus for a five hour trip south to Rotorua.
After training we caught a bus to the Mitai Maori Village where we were treated to an amazing cultural performance from a local Maori tribe.........I was introduced by our Aboriginal programs director Paul Vandenbergh to the Maori chief after dinner and one of the female Maori staff overheard our conversation where I mentioned that my New Zealand family name was Hawke...... Standing outside the bus was the young Maori lady who was indie working and who had heard my earlier conversation. I was introduced to this girl and her name was Georgia. What she said next was amazing. She explained that her family name as a Hawke and as we worked through our family history we established we were in fact cousins. Again it was very emotional and overwhelming. For the second time in as many days I had been introduced to another part of my life that I never knew existed. Georgia and I exchanged details and I will see her before I leave. This Aboriginal Academy tour has been truly life changing and we are only two days in!

Day 3 and 4 Rotorua hot spas, cultural exchanges and white water rafting
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-12-01/nz-academy-diary-day-3-and-4
I woke up to a beautiful, sunny morning in Rotorua still with my head still spinning from the previous two days when I came face to face with the other half of my heritage. On one hand I was incredibly excited, on the other hand I was slightly overwhelmed trying to take it all in. Later tonight I’ll get more of an opportunity to learn more when I meet my cousin Georgia at our team hotel. Right now, I’m looking forward to getting around the rest of the academy boys and immersing myself in more of the Maori culture. After breakfast we walked to a local, traditional Polynesian spa as a way of recovering from the previous two days training sessions.
But equally amazing was the elder’s passion for his culture and his ability to share those stories. He spoke about how the Maori people settled in New Zealand after travelling on seven boats from Tahiti in the 1300s. He then beamed with pride as recounted how the local Maoris bravely stood up against British colonisation in the 1700s when they won a bitter 30-year war to protect their land and heritage. It just made me so proud of my Maori heritage but it also got me reflecting on my Aboriginal heritage and how things could have been different back home in Australia. The one message from the elder that continued to resonate with me was the importance of language. The Maori culture are in the fortunate position of being united by one language. At the height of Aboriginal culture we had more than 700 languages which hasnow diminished to around 100.
Soon after our gym session we checked out of the hotel and headed a short drive around the Rotorua lake to a magnificent forest area for some white river rafting. We couldn’t get ready quick enough with everyone eagerly fitted with their life jacket and helmets and armed with their all important paddle.Initially, the boys were excited and jumping out of their skins when we first arrived. But we all became a little more anxious after we were briefed by our instructors. It wasn’t as though we they weren’t professional but it was more about what was to come.
It was both frightening and exhilarating. Most significantly it just felt so rewarding to confront and conquer our fears. Although most of us won’t admit it I reckon there were a few of us who considered pulling out but to actually stay the course and confronting the challenge was hugely rewarding. After we completed our white rafting session we jumped on our team bus and commenced our two hour journey to our next stop, Turangi, which is a couple of hours south of Auckland. Although exhausted the boys were still buzzing with excitement from our river rafting mission.

The journey to Turangi was spectacular and highlighted by the amazing Lake Taupo which is a massive body of water that surrounds the local area. After settling into our accommodation we had a team dinner followed by a briefing with our tour guide tomorrow. Tomorrow will pose an equally big challenge for our group. Today was about confronting fear while tomorrow will be about resilience as we take the 19 kilometre climb up the Tongiaro Crossing.

Following the tour diary of Ronald Fuschtei

Day 1 and 2 and Ronald meets family members he has never met before
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-11-30/nz-academy-diary-day-1

Day 3 and 4 Rotorua hot spas, cultural exchanges and white water rafting
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-12-01/nz-academy-diary-day-3-and-4

I am not old at 37, but not a baby either. The stories are told full of excitement and naïveté proper of youth. You end up getting caught by it. Great reading.

I am not old at 37, but not a baby either. The stories are told full of excitement and naïveté proper of youth. You end up getting caught by it. Great reading.
Yeah there is a bit of coming of age about them, doing stuff they have never experienced before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back