Port Adelaide starts new Indigenous academy!

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a nice story yesterday in the Weekend Australian about the academy skipper Jamahl Weetra and the academy program in general. The online headline is - Port Adelaide at hub of growing indigenous sport and education programs - but the hard copy was

The footy academy helping next gen scale the mountains of life
The only game in his life in which the final siren could not sound quick enough for Jamahl Weetra ended up being the longest he has ever played. For someone as football-mad as the Adelaide-based teenager, it was a strange feeling, particularly given the prize at stake — a spot in a grand final. The match took an excruciating three extra-time slots to produce a result. But that’s not what sticks in Weetra’s mind. He’s still dogged by a feeling of unease. Throughout this preliminary final, his mind was elsewhere — and with good reason. The match was played at the Greenacres Football Club, whose ground is a decent torpedo punt from Yatala Prison. On the other side of the prison wall was his father, who has been inside since well before Weetra celebrated his first birthday in Murray Bridge. Their contact consists of the occasional 10-minute phone chat. This experience has steeled Weetra to do all he can to avoid his father’s mistakes and instead become a man others look up to. The 18-year-old is making a good fist of it. He credits his mother for “teaching him about respect and respecting other people”.

But the Port Adelaide Indigenous Academy, a team he has captained this year to five wins from six matches, has been crucial too. Tomorrow in Auckland, Weetra and 17 of his mates will tackle the New Zealand under-18 team to complete a week-long exposure to the Maori culture, a reward for excellence at school. The academy, and his mother’s influence have helped Weetra focus less on his father’s absence and more on his willingness to help his people. “(My father’s imprisonment) was not something I used to talk about but I know that it is not about me,” Weetra said. “I am OK talking about it now. Joining the academy has helped me school-wise and to become a man as well. “In generations before my time, our family didn’t have very good times in the society we used to live in, and things are starting to patch back up these days. “Guys like myself and the boys who are part of the academy, it is important to show the next generation that it is not impossible to finish school. That they can get help and that they should not let anyone tell them that they can’t do things.”........
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...m/news-story/5f1b93d57442904e61935276189687e4

Talks about who Paul Vandenbergh is.
And according to Vandenbergh, who was named the South Australian NAIDOC Person of the Year in July, the results are highly encouraging. A handful of members have gone on to AFL lists, including promising Crow Wayne Milera and Geelong’s Brandon Parfitt. But other things excite Vandenbergh. “We have contributed to 30 per cent of year 12 attainment (indigenous students finishing secondary schooling) because of these programs, with South Australia the second highest in the nation, which is all attributed to the Power and SAASTA (South Australian Aboriginal Sports Training Academy) working together through the Power Cup and AFL Academy,” he said. Tall and muscular, Vandenbergh is a driven man. He wants to “close the revolving door”, and ensure those like Weetra do not make the same mistakes as their predecessors. He also wants to keep the indigenous language and culture alive to help young Aborigines become community leaders. Raised in a split-family in Ceduna, Vandenbergh admired the example set by his mother Sandra Miller, whose parents were members of the Stolen Generation. She finished her schooling, went to university and became a nurse who worked in remote communities and later in Adelaide. Vandenbergh knows one person can make a difference. For him, that person is Gilbert McAdam, a star indigenous man who more recently has featured as a panellist on the Marngrook Footy Show. The first indigenous man to win the Magarey Medal in the SANFL in 1989, McAdam took this honour on a state tour that included Ceduna and sparked Vandenbergh’s imagination. The lifestyle opened his eyes to the world, particularly the idea of using sport as a motivational tool for education. “I think you find with people that make it, there is that one person who inspired them, but I just don’t think we have enough of them in our communities,” he said. “I am trying to find out the solution, about how we can move forward. I keep saying to (our academy), ‘you are the next generation coming through’. There is stuff I think only Aboriginal kids experience, be it overcrowding, be it being encouraged by your family to leave school early so you can earn a living and start contributing to the family, those are real life things that are happening in our programs.”

Why NZ? learn from Maori culture
The theory behind spending the week in New Zealand, where members have mixed training sessions with cultural experiences, is to demonstrate the pride Maoris have in their culture. He wants those attending to “eat, live and breathe” their own culture, much as the Maori of New Zealand do. Dale Agius, who has worked with the Treaty Commissioner’s office in Adelaide, hopes the boys’ time at the academy will help them to think critically about their own identity and what can and should be achievable. For now, the class of 2017 captained by Weetra has one final task — to knock off the Kiwis tomorrow. It may not be easy, despite AFL being largely foreign to New Zealand and their own talent, as there is a strong suggestion former Brisbane champion and Brownlow medallist Simon Black will step out for the Kiwis. This is one experience Weetra wishes could last longer before he heads back to Adelaide to begin training with Port’s SANFL affiliate. “Being the captain … I have had a few boys lean on me, talk about personal things,” he said. “At all hours of the morning I get phone calls, so to have boys that can trust me makes being the captain fun and worthwhile.”

This looks like traditional home lands in Oz country than the usual image of green and water of NZ, although the snow cap mountain is out of place for Oz.
addc7d62183d1a450a9735cc9e701613

Paul Vandenbergh leads members of the Port Adelaide Indigenous Academy on a trek across the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in New Zealand. Picture: Mark Piovesan

Pauly V had the above picture and the following comment on his tweet.
Pauly Vandenbergh‏ @BrusVandenbergh Dec 1
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. " - Edmund Hillary Absolutely amazing to walk the Tongariro Crossing and appreciate the traditional owners and the history of the area. These Aboriginal AFL Academy students are incredible and loved it.

Last edited:

Paul Vandenbergh

The DC program is a school led initiative that is 8 weeks in duration. Students require full attendance at the DC sessions, good school attendance and positive behaviour before undertaking a health check and receiving their Guernsey.
upload_2017-12-18_8-59-3.png

Another programme the Club supports :D

Last edited:
Kai Pudney in the 2018 SA Under 18 squad!

Pudney equalled newly-drafted Andrew Brayshaw’s mark of Level 22-4 at this year’s AFL Combine in the Yo-Yo Test while also winning the 2km time trial in the time of just over six minutes.

Despite measuring in at 195cm, Riley Grundy – the younger brother of Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy – led the way with a time of 2.91 seconds for the 20m sprint.

Kysaiah Pickett, the nephew of Norm Smith Medallist Byron Pickett, posted the best time in the Agility Test of 7.89 seconds while Norwood’s Kade Chandler (90 cm Standing/95cm Running) and Sturt’s Mihail Lochowiak (90 Running) registered the best scores in the Vertical Jump tests.

http://sanfl.com.au/2018-mcdonalds-sa-u18-academy/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pudney and Frederick eligible in 2018 draft for Port as Indig & Multicult Academy members.
Picket eligible in 2019 - plays for aligned club in WWT Eagles and is part of our Indig Academy now.
Burgoyne and J Mead eligible for FS in 2019.

Wow.

Indigenous + F/S.

SA based so no 'go home' factor.

Will slowly change the feel of the team.

Wow.

Indigenous + F/S.

SA based so no 'go home' factor.

Will slowly change the feel of the team.
Then if non Vic clubs get too much of advantage, the AFL will QUICKLY change the rules i guess.

The indigenous - Aboriginal academy is back on the road and they will have one of the lads providing a travel diary. They have gone up to Darwin and visiting the Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre attending the annual Garma festival in North East Arnhem Land and other places in the top end.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-07-31/photo-diary-aaa-trip-day-1-teancum-varcoe
IT'S a special week for Port Adelaide's Aboriginal AFL Academy.

This week marks the Academy's annual study tour, and the 2018 trip will see the young group of boys head to North East Arnhem Land as part of their SACE Stage 2 Aboriginal Studies curriculum. The boys will spend some time in Nyinyikay, a remote Indigenous coastal homeland in East Arnhem Land, and attend Garma 2018 - the largest and most vibrant annual celebration of Yolngu culture. Join us as we share their experiences each day, through the camera lens.

Day 1: Teancum Varcoe - Sacred Heart College / Yr 12 / First year in the AAA program
In his words....
"After landing in Darwin on Monday, we checked in to the Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre. We did a short training session, including some touch football, and after working up a real sweat in the heat we went for a quick pool recovery to cool off.......
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-07-31/photo-diary-aaa-trip-day-1-teancum-varcoe

Some cool NRL indigenous jumper designs being worn by the staff. I saw Marlon Motlop play for Glenelg a couple of weeks ago and he didn't look this big. Daniel has bulked up abit post AFL footy.

AAA_d1_p6.jpg

AAA_d1_p7.jpg

The boys have their normal aboriginal academy centre training tops on.

AAA_d1_p1.jpg

Ahh see that’s because that’s Wade Thompson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha thanks. I completely forgot about Wade working for the club.

PORT’S POWERFUL TRIP TO GARMA
PORT Adelaide has returned from a trip to Arnhem Land where it took 15 Year 12 students from its
Aboriginal boys academy to the Garma Festival for a week of cultural learning. The trip was a reward for their school attendance rate reaching 95.6 per cent this year and the club’s girls academy will make the trip north next year. Students visited Aboriginal homelands in the NT and learnt about dance, food, art and music including making their own didgeridoos from a tree. “It makes you so proud to be an Aboriginal person because they were so welcoming and open with their culture, and it was good for our students to be immersed with it and see how strong it can be if we all commit properly to it,” the Power’s Aboriginal programs director Paul Vandenbergh said.
“They cut down their own didgeridoo trees, learnt about that whole process and got an understanding of the significance of that instrument in that country. “Then as we were walking along the traditional owner would say ‘this tree we use for this and if this tree is blossoming we know there are stingrays available now’, it was amazing.” The trip included former Port Adelaide AFL players Daniel and Marlon Motlop who cooked buffalo curry, fish and mudcrabs on a fire for the students who were camping out......
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...y/news-story/651bd4e6e343a38cf294e947bc19d482

d31b83014ccd98a9f47a8ea9f46300ef

Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal AFL Academy players and staff with Djalu Gurruwiwi and family at Wallaby Beach, Arnhem Land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back